Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 44 Magnum Range Observation

44 Magnum Range Observation

Today I went to the range to test some 350 legend rounds.
    At the range there was one older gentleman shooting an air gun and a young guy shooting a .22 and a Mini 14.

As I was shooting the 350, the young guy came up and was asking me what I was shooting and what was that orange thing on the bench...

I told him, it's a LabRadar chrono and I am shooting 350 legend. I showed him my numbers and let him scope my shots. Every ladder he kept asking, "How fast were those?". Pretty funny.

At the end I packed up my rifle and I decided to just chrono some well known rounds that I shoot in 44 mag.

This is in my Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel.

I shot my mid rang load (unique) and it was (as expected) around 1100 fps. Then I shot my W296 loads and it was (as expected) around 1450 fps.

At the time, the young guy who was all interested in my measurements asked me about the pistol measurements. I shared and asked him, do you want to shoot the hottest 44 Magnum that I know to be accurate? He smiled and grabbed the gun.

While he was shooting another guy came in and was like WHAAAT IS THAT???

I looked at him and said, it's 44 Magnum, you are welcome to shoot a wheel.

That guy asked me "how much are those bullets?" I said "These boolits are about $0.23 a piece, don't worry about it." And handed him my revolover.

He shot ONE round and told me that it made his day - but he was really happy to have had the opportunity to shoot it.

I watched as two other people shot my gun and realized that it was pushing out a massive amount of energy. You don't seem to get this when you shoot, but it is there.

I went on to load one more wheel where (single action) I popped 2 clays at 50 yards and 2 clays at 75 yards (1 miss each) and just put the gun up. To me it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I think it just might be.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master
    h110/296 is indeed beastly

Boolit Master
    It is not for the faint of heart. But it does not place earth “out of its orbit” either!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

1450 fps in a handgun is something that most folks need to work up to. It's a rare shooter that can just grab it and shoot well without practising.

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    h110/296 is indeed beastly
    It is a great powder but it is "beastly". I have read that Accurate 11FS does not have the blast and flash that 296/H110 does but the burn rate is almost identical. Anybody tried it? I'd like to hear a real world experience of this powder.
    44Blam, it is always fun for me to have a young shooter interested in our hobby and ask questions. I'm glad they are out there and I try to give answers when I'm sure that I can steer them in the right direction. I'm betting they will never forget you generosity.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Someone was kind enough to let me shoot their XVR460, made my day though I worried over the price of his plastic tipped HP factory rounds. It was about a 10 inch barrel and much milder than I expected.

I've shared my 44s a number of times. The last was in his 20s at the range with his girlfriend. He was admiring my 4" Anaconda. I let him know the rounds broke 1300 fps and 4" guns will roll a bit during recoil but he did very well with it. Felt good for both of us.

I miss the range!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I like doing that, when I'm not trying to get something done. I SO need a range of my own!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I guess I am different. When at the range I try to not be too unfriendly but not too friendly either. I have heard so many long winded people I try to stay away until I can ascertain that they have some idea they know something about shooting.
    I realize that makes me look bad but it is what it is. Once someone displays a decent degree of sense about themselves I will then kinda "warm up" to them but not before. Too many loud mouth types to suit me.
    Young people I would try to help. Unless they had some blow hard someone with them.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 09-27-2020 at 05:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    I guess I am different. When at the range I try to not be too unfriendly but not too friendly either. I have heard so many long winded people I try to stay away until I can ascertain that they have some idea they know something about shooting.
    I realize that makes me look bad but it is what it is. Once someone displays a decent degree of sense about themselves I will then kinda "warm up" to them but not before. Too many loud mouth types to suit me.
    Young people I would try to help. Unless they had some blow hard someone with them.
    Not everyone fits the bill. After you shoot a few relays next to someone you get a good idea if they are competent and someone you relate to. There has to be a level of trust before weapons are shared.

If you keep hitting the middle of your target every time most of the loud obnoxious types will stay far away from you.
    Mal

Boolit Man
    I am working with a freshly minted engineer that just loves guns. He was looking for a Colt Python until I let him shoot my Ruger SBH 44 mag. He became starry eyed and bought a S&W 44 mag. I even got him reloading cast boolits. I am lucky that I was able to bring another young person into the fold and teach him some of the things that he might have otherwise missed. The only thing I can't get through his head is that 310gr Boolits and a large load of 296 isn't exactly good as a steady diet for his S&W! Oh well, I was young once too!

Boolit Master
    An Engineer? Maybe if you mention that the plastic deformation of brass is reliable. If you have sticky brass you've temporarily made the chamber bigger which causes metal fatigue. That's where I stopped with my 629.
    Mal