Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truck Gun Racks?

Truck Gun Racks?

I know this a topic that starts conflicts but what are you guys running as gun racks in your trucks? I live in canada so they arent super common here, I dont even know if they are legal. I bought a new truck on Thursday so I was just wondering...
    Pics for attention... and enjoyment?

I have one in mine. It makes a great hat rack, and keeps me from losing my ear muffs I use at the range.

I only use it for rifles when the inside of the truck gets crowded.
    Even in a hard case on the floor- I'd never leave a rifle in the truck unless I was in there with it.

I've seen contractors here use them to hold those 5-6 foot long levels too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    One day, as I parked at the local auto parts store, a fellow who was standing on the curb, was grinning at me.I said a g'morning to him and, him nodding toward my Ford pickup, said how rare it is to see a gun rack mounted in a pickup these days. Of course, I use it for hanging my hard hat, spirit level, dog leashes. A friend gave me a two-gun scabbard which is strapped behind the bench seat....not visible to prying eyes. Keeps my 870 slug gun secure but accessible. Also, the saddle blanket seat cover in my pickup permits me to slip in my Marlin 39 in the sewn-in scabbard

Boolit Master
    Nice truck! 1976 or 1977? I have an 84 GMC Jimmy K5. Bought a gun rack to stick in the side window of the rear top. The only thing I dont like about them is they fit under the window seal. Hasn't leaked yet, but still keep my eye on it. Its black plastic and is expandable to fit different sized windows. I just use it for range trips and hunting. Back glass is 10% tinted on all sides, cant see in. Picked it up on Amazon. I think JC Whitney and LMC Truck sell them. You'll find all the repair parts for your truck at LMC Truck as well. They have just about every part for the Square Bodies.

Banned

Man i love your truck. My first 5 trucks were square body chevs like that. Up here there very rare. Mostly because they tended to rust and this is SALT country. Had a 79 i bought new that had a rust hole in it before it was 2 years old. Man that thing looks great. Im guessing it didnt spend its entire life in canada or you have alot invested into getting it to look that good. Yup you can buy new metal for them today but even the frames on most of them rotted so bad they weren't salvageable in 10 years around here. 3/4 tons like yours are even rarer because they were for the most part drove hard and put away wet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not legal here, but would not use one on the trucks anyway. Would be nice to have one for the SxS, but not legal for it either.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I always bolted them in behind the seat. Had a few pickups like that. Old trick keeps your gun handy, but out of sight.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Friend of mine kept his Rem 870 in his truck, out of sight. But he had an NRA sticker on the window of his shell (topper/camper). Parked at a trailhead, it was broken into and the shotgun stolen. Not a good idea to advertise what you may have! Guns accessible to you are accessible to others in unattended vehicles.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Now I have an extended cab so guns ride the back seat. Otherwise, Barney Fife will stop you. Not illegal, just an invite for Barney. I love those old Chevys. Always looking for trashed out, not worth saving cabs with little aluminum tag and paper.

Not the normal back window gun rack but this is secure and has worked very well for me to have things quickly available in different times of the year and at different jobs that at times required a firearm for keeping varmints at bay. Big sky gun racks overhead 2 gun. It’s bolted to a 12 gauge plate that is bolted to the roof with 8 rivet nut inserts to the inner roof portion in a mid 90’s Ford pickup.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64263014-00D6-4F18-B83B-74553D77FDEA.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	268398

They are league in Canada just so you know you don’t need to have you guns disabling device on when you are transporting them they just can’t be loaded because a few hunters shot themselves pulling their guns out of vehicles I have a cheep set of Amazon but don’t fully recommend them they hold my lever guns and 410 fine but not my scoped guns they tend to fall out if y ou have the money for good ones I’d get them and having them out of sight is a good idea

Back in the day, you could find those in every WalMart and variety store you went into. I grew up in Texas, and a pickup without a rifle rack just looked strange. Of course, that was before thieves knew there were no consequences for their actions. Nowadays you don’t see them much. The behind the seat option is a good idea.
    Last edited by scattershot; 09-27-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Can't add anything as far as a gun rack but that sure is a nice looking truck! Congrats . . . you will love it!

Nice looking truck, Kev, and your cabin looks great. To answer your question, I used to have then when I had 2-door trucks, but now have one quad cab and one extra cab, so if I had a back window rack I couldn't reach the rifle anyway without getting out of the truck and either opening the rear door or, in the case of the extra cab pushing the seat forward and reaching way back.

In general, I've noticed a great decline in the number of racks that I see. Too many stolen firearms, I think. Guys have gone into coffee shops for lunch and come back out to find the truck broken into and the guns gone. But, here in Oregon, it remains perfectly legal to have a rifle/shotgun in the rear window, and it can even be fully loaded with a round in the chamber. The standard here is if it is in plain view or not; if it is, it is not concealed and is legal. But, take that rile out of the rack before you go into the coffee shop and set it on the back seat with your jacket over it and you are technically in violation of having a concealed weapon. The trend seems to be toward the tool chest-type gun safes in the bed of the truck.

USMC 77, USRA 79

holy moley Kev.... what a nice truck... will be great for hauling stuff like atv or supplies up to cabin... around my part of the world, those era trucks are long gone from the salt water rain... but I still love them.. you have to go all the way to the midwest to find one in that condition?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    that sure is a sweet looking truck

Moderator Emeritus

I used a Big Sky rack for a lot of years. I rarely hunt where I need to get a rifle out quickly but have also used a behind the seat nylon rack. It hung from headrests and held 3 long guns.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Not legal here, but would not use one on the trucks anyway. Would be nice to have one for the SxS, but not legal for it either.
    there legal in MI. Just have to have the gun in a case.

Boolit Grand Master

When I grew up in ND everyone had one. It's still legal but they are not common anymore. The reason is they don't work well in the extended cab trucks and that 99% of the trucks in use now. In ND the gun is unloaded as long as there is not a round in the chamber and no case required.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    When I grew up in ND everyone had one. It's still legal but they are not common anymore. The reason is they don't work well in the extended cab trucks and that 99% of the trucks in use now. In ND the gun is unloaded as long as there is not a round in the chamber and no case required.
    very good point

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast