WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Varget Score!

Varget Score!

I found 2lbs of Varget at the local gun store when I was picking up my new lower. I bought one and left the other for the next guy. Also got my ration of 200 small rifle primers... :-/
    But, I wonder if they did a run?
    Maybe it'll be available more widely soon?
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Don’t know. I pulled my hair out looking for varget the past couple of months after shooting the group in my avatar with the last of my only can. I finally found a store that had 13 one pound cans on the shelf going for $40 each so I bought a pound. It was a couple of hours out of town at a small gun shop. I stopped back a few weeks later and they were completely sold out. I bought another pound locally a week later. For six bucks less at a LGS. It was in their back room buried behind some other powder cans. When I called the owner didn’t even know he had it. It’s a place open only two days a week so I always have an issue trying to get there to see what they have. Sounds like it was there for some time. Figured two pounds will last me a while. I’d still give my left you know what for some Remington 7 & 1/2 primers.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-26-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Haven’t seen it in a while in Mississippi. Picked up some Shooters World precision...touted to be the same. We’ll see. Price, at $26/lb, was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Haven’t seen it in a while in Mississippi. Picked up some Shooters World precision...touted to be the same. We’ll see. Price, at $26/lb, was good.
    I've used it. It is essentially the same. I went with their load data (which was lower than my Varget data) and then worked up to my varget charges. Pretty much the same velocity for the same charge.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Grand Master
    $26.00 a pound!!!!!
    It's $43.00 here, if you can find it.
    That's the average price of powder here.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I found 2lbs of Varget at the local gun store when I was picking up my new lower. I bought one and left the other for the next guy. Also got my ration of 200 small rifle primers... :-/
    But, I wonder if they did a run?
    Maybe it'll be available more widely soon?
    Congrats. I was able to pick up a few lbs of powder last week as well. I've snagged a couple bricks of LR match primers but have not seen small primers yet.

Hopefully it is a sign.

Boolit Master
    I picked up some Shooters World precision from Midway along with a few other powders. All going for $20.00 with free shipping. There was still HazMAt and sales tax, but all in all not too bad.

How bad did you get gouged on your upper? I bought a BCA upper in April for $299 with free shipping. It looks like the same upper had doubled in price now. Even though I paid about a 80% markup of what I normally buy it for I was just happy to finally find a pound. I just will make sure not to business again with the $40 a pound store when things get back to normal. They also sold me Remington 9 1/2 primers for $5 a 100. I bought 400 and figured they would get me by for a while. Wish I had a sportsman’s around me where they go for $20 per 1000.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-27-2020 at 09:26 AM.

I've used it. It is essentially the same. I went with their load data (which was lower than my Varget data) and then worked up to my varget charges. Pretty much the same velocity for the same charge.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Before the Covid/election panic set in I got 3 8# jugs at Big R (now Stock and Field) for $165 each after the old phart discount.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    How bad did you get gouged on your upper? I bought a BCA upper in April for $299 with free shipping. It looks like the same upper had doubled in price now. Even though I paid about a 80% markup of what I normally buy it for I was just happy to finally find a pound. I just will make sure not to business again with the $40 a pound store when things get back to normal. They also sold me Remington 9 1/2 primers for $5 a 100. I bought 400 and figured they would get me by for a while. Wish I had a sportsman’s around me where they go for $20 per 1000.
    I bought a 350 legend upper from them (bear creek armory) a couple months ago for $269. It also had the bcg...
    WWG1WGA

I bought a 350 legend upper from them (bear creek armory) a couple months ago for $269. It also had the bcg...

I bought my 2nd complete 243 upper from them right when the pandemic hit for $299 shipped. Had to return it a few times because of shipping and assembly damage but they finally got it right like I knew they would. Everything over on their sight is $200 higher priced now. I’m sure after the election is over and vaccine comes out the panic buying will slow down and prices will get back to normal. I love my cheap BCA uppers! My next upper from them will be the old school AR upper with a carrying handle. When they first came out they $253. I haven’t checked on them lately. I’m sure they are still out of stock and probably marked up to the $460 mark if I had to guess.

I was close in my guess. They are in stock for $416. When they go back down close their $259 price point again next year I’ll buy one.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/5-5...y-handle-upper

They had all their 243 uppers at $299 to $380 for the last three to four years steady till covid hit. If the prices don’t go back down I won’t buy it. I need it like a hole in the head. I am done with all the gouging from the firearm industry this year and am completely stocked up and then some accept for Remington 7 1/2 primers. I don’t expect to run into them anyways.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-27-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Boolit Master
    bought 5000 federal small pistol primers 2 weeks ago, from a guy who was "selling out" because he was getting too old to reload. $150.00. i'm soooo happy!

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    bought 5000 federal small pistol primers 2 weeks ago, from a guy who was "selling out" because he was getting too old to reload. $150.00. i'm soooo happy!
    Now that is a SCORE! I haven't seen small pistol primers in a while.
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Buddy
    Did not know that you could get too old to reload, I am 83 & still buying supplies & enjoying this hobby.

Boolit Master
    you guys dont realise how cheap you have powder,over here its £ 45 per pound .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    I also found a person selling everything. 10,000 for $700.00. It is what it is...

Boolit Buddy
    We have Varget on the shelf here in east Ky and I also just bought 7k mixed primers for $25/k

Boolit Buddy

I'm in Northern Kentucky and the couple of places I have been too lately have Varget.
    I'm not using it so it's going to be easier for me to find LOL.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would buy more Varget if I had the chance. I only shoot .223 and .308 rifles currently and it is the perfect powder for those calibers. But I will not pay $40/lb for it.

Time to try something else unless it comes down in cost. I have heard 4064 is a good second choice and I got a one lb can to try it out.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast