Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: securing guns at hunting cabin

Boolit Master

securing guns at hunting cabin

does anyone leave guns at your hunting lodge or cabin?
    my cousin, who is closer to me than my own brother, just called and says he might just be getting a "hunting chalet" and acreage somewhere in very rural Montana.
    He wants to know if I might want to go on a hunt out there. I was thinking if going to take a couple guns to leave there.
    should I be thinking this about this?
    I've never had a hunting cabin or a relative that had such a place before.

Boolit Grand Master

I have never left guns even though they can be secured and hidden. We only leave things we are willing to lose. And guns aren’t one of them.

Boolit Master
    My vote is a resounding no. Mine is extremely remote, and has been broken into more times than I care to admit. That's through a locked door, with a locked slider over the top, windows have expanded steel over them, and I added security lights before the last time.
    However, last time someone broke in they made a meal from a grouse and used some flour, oil, and coffee. They washed the dishes, put them away and left an apology/thank you note with a $50 bill for damage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't but if I did they would be more than is a safe. Hidden somewhere you might even have to disassemble something to find them. Problem with remote hunting cabins is just that, they are remote & rarely used. They make a perfect target for thieves or vagrants. Our hunting cabin isn't remote it's a duplex house off a cul de sac, in a nice neighborhood. Someone that did some work on the property turned out to be a crack head and broke into our utility room and cut all the copper pipes out of the room, well lines & piping for 2 boilers. With me doing the repair it cost about $1,000 to replace which I did with PEX & cast iron circulators. He also pumped the oil out of the oil tank, he was a machine operator & I'm sure he used it for his excavator which he sold & tried to steal back from the guy he sold it too. He did have the como to the gate lock as well which made it easier.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 09-26-2020 at 10:35 PM.

I would consider leaving a gun or two, provided I could hide them. Hide them means not under the mattress, but maybe in a hidden compartment under a floor board, or behind a wall, in a secret compartment in a piece of furniture. A half decided wall with a removable panel or top might be just the ticket.

Boolit Master

I have, I left a .22 and a 12ga in the steel shipping container for a year and had quite a bit of rust on them from condensation. Now they stay in the cabin, hidden away both with trigger locks, I know how easy trigger locks can be removed but why make it easier for them? I never leave any guns that are irreplaceable!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I'm stoked, have only been west three times in my life, once to Texas and twice to the big liberal state. Never seen Montana before.
    cousin is a master carpenter and creating a void space somewhere in a wood building would be like Childs play for him.

Because of the chances of rust, theft, fire,,,,,,, No way.

There's too much to lose for the least little bit of benefit.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Work with a stupid liberal who grew up in Alaska of all places have heard him tell a story of him and friends breaking into a summer cabin and stealing firearms including as he said it a stainless ruger mk2 target pistol claimed he put them back well as he is in his 40's and to remember the pistol so clearly he still has it I would say , My answer do not leave anything you are not willing to lose , Had a baby seat and base stolen out of my van sometime in the last month and I live in a pretty good neighborhood , but ghetto rats have families and they roam and steal .

Boolit Buddy

Better off taking your firearms home with you. No way would i leave firearms in a cabin. No matter how good they are hid.

Banned

theres a couple old single shot shotguns and a 22 rifle at camp in my locker. If there stolen they can have them. We dont even lock our camp because its so remote all that would accomplish is a broken window or door to get in. Id never leave anything of real value there. But if you want a 200 dollar tv that might bring you 20 bucks used or some old furniture or a rusty old beater gun come on it and help yourself. You need it more then I do.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would not leave a gun in a cabin. If it was a BOL, I would put the gun in sealed plastic pipe after treating it with a preservative and bury the pipe in the woods. If you keep out air and moisture, rust is not a problem.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I would not Leave anything in My cabin . Seems to be a no brainer to me
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    Your choice but recommend even at home remove bolt, trigger group or whatever to render them useless, and either take parts with you or hide in different place

I personally would not keep one at a hunting cabin, as it’s easy in both Canada, and the us to transport one. If I had to, a hidden compartment in the floor or wall etc would be your best bet. just make sure they are dripping with some kind of oil that won’t evaporate, or run off. I use fluid film as it never moves from where you spray it and dose not dry. The buried in a plastic sealed pipe is another good method, just make sure you don’t forgot where.

Boolit Buddy
    The point here that I don't see addressed is Why? When you factor in all the gear that must be packed for a western by hunting trip 25 lbs for two rifles in a hard case with two boxes of shells each is nothing. Just my experience. Happy that you have a place to go and enjoy the west.

I worked too hard for what little I have, I would never leave valuables where criminals could take them.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

Is your cousin going to live in this cabin? Then maybe I could see leaving some guns there.

If this cabin will be vacant part of the time, then how often will you be going to this cabin?
    Maybe a couple times a year?
    If that is the case, storing guns there seems foolish to me.

...this reminds me, I left a compound bow and acc's at my buddy's place many years ago, we haven't shot any arrows since there was a Bush in the White house, I wonder if my bow is still there?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

How would you feel if your gun was stolen and used in a crime? Some states have laws making it a crime to not properly secure firearms. How about a lawsuit against you by a crime victim? Might not win in Montana but legal fees ain't cheap.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    lots of good points here, In all reality its never good to leave any firearms unsecured. things are not like what they used to be, lawyers and thieves waiting behind every bush for anything they can pounce on. the last hunting cabin I was in was 40+ years ago in Louisiana and nobody but nobody messed with those guys that owned that place
    been doing so reading, for what hunting licenses cost there could buy nice new hunting rifles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast