Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: securing guns at hunting cabin

Moderator Emeritus

While much of Montana is rural very little of it is remote by our standards. I might leave a gun or two in a cabin but it would take a while for most to find it. It would also by nature not be something you could get at easily. I see the advantage of not flying with rifles. If you want to leave something in a cabin make sure that it isn't in something easily identified as a gun container.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I see the advantage of not flying with rifles.
    The only advantage is that you don’t have to travel w/ it. I guess another advantage is you don’t have to pay a potential baggage fee. I travel w/ firearms all the time and it’s not a big deal. If you’re going on a hunting trip you will checking your baggage anyway so checking firearms is just one additional step.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Fire, rust, theft, vermin, humidity, mud daubers................what many other ways can I say NO!

It only takes a minute to pack a sidearm.....mabe 2 for a long gun!

banger

Agreed ! Would you leave money there ? Why wouldn’t you bring them with you ? I might hide a beater 22 or shotgun, but never anything I truly value.

I don't care what you do with your guns, their yours not mine.

I have left a old Single Barrel 12ga in my cabin and a few boxes of shells for most of my guns. Bought it for $40. And $5.for the case. I figure that someone breaks in Maybe they grab the Guncase and leave the rest of my camping gear!

Super Moderator

I'm in the don't leave them there group. Even a beater .22 or shotgun is not a very good thing in the hands of a criminal.

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t leave any in our cabin at the ranch and I’m typically there 3-4 days a week.

We had a more remote place several years ago. I only made it out there once a week or so. I tried locking the door and travelers from sunny Mexico broke the door down. There wasn’t anything of value in it-my clothes and boots were way too big I’d guess. (We’re about 100 miles from Mexico.)

I sure don’t want to supply thieves with a weapon they can employ against me to steal my vehicle.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The problem with stolen guns is the type of people who would steal guns, are probably those you wouldn’t want having them. Besides the personal loss of the firearm, there is the potential that it could be used by the thief or sold to someone who would use it to commit a crime. Everyone has the responsibility to try and prevent their firearms from falling into the hands of those who shouldn’t have them. Do you know where all your guns are or what they are doing tonight?

Boolit Master
    I should admit that I do stash a few guns. I have a couple of bubba's gunshop Mosins and a SMLE wrapped in oil cloth AWAY from cabin. I thought about the stolen gun liability quite a bit and stashed the bolts elsewhere. I'm sure it's possible for someone to find rifle/bolt/ammunition - but the likelihood is slim.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I like to insert somewhere a tiny note saying "stolen from ....." wherever I can, like behind the butt plate, or behind a grip. If I sell it, I'll take it out.

Thieves usually don't break weapons down, just use them or sell them.

I still don't leave my weapons elsewhere.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master

Burglar Bomb, nuf sed...
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    However, last time someone broke in they made a meal from a grouse and used some flour, oil, and coffee. They washed the dishes, put them away and left an apology/thank you note with a $50 bill for damage.
    It's kind of hard to be mad at someone like that.

Boolit Grand Master

If you do, buy a waterproof container and bury it .
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    My vote is a resounding no. Mine is extremely remote, and has been broken into more times than I care to admit. That's through a locked door, with a locked slider over the top, windows have expanded steel over them, and I added security lights before the last time.
    However, last time someone broke in they made a meal from a grouse and used some flour, oil, and coffee. They washed the dishes, put them away and left an apology/thank you note with a $50 bill for damage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Happened to my grandfather once. Someone got lost snowmobiling and ran out of gas. They broke off the lock, made a fire and spent the night then used a few gallons of gas that was in the shed. Left a $10 bill on the table explaining what happened and apologizing for the locks.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I would not leave a gun in a cabin around here. I've belonged to two deer clubs in the last 45 years. One of them was just off of a gravel county road that was a favorite route between a dry college town and the closest liquor store. We were broken into just about every year after hunting season ended. We never left anything of value there. "Q" Beam lights and Rebel Flags were a favorite item for them to steel. And any cookware made of aluminum or copper.

My current club is also on a gravel county road but its between 2 very small towns that are 40+ miles apart. There are 10's of thousands of acres here that all look alike. I mean theres nothing to attract anyone there and its not on a route to or from anywhere. Traffic is very light there. A few of the guys leave guns there and we've never been broken into. (knock on wood) But I still would not do it personally. Like someone else said, the risk outweigh the good.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I have a place 5 hours away in the Adirondack mountains. It’s 15 miles from the nearest cell signal. It’s been in the family since WWI
    Not once have I ever considered leaving a firearm there.

Ymmv
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12