Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: 1920's Era Winchester 25-20 With Octagon Barrel. Any good?

Boolit Grand Master

1920's Era Winchester 25-20 With Octagon Barrel. Any good?

Looking at one in decent shape. No cracks in the stock but dings as should be expected from a 100 yr old rifle. Barrel is good. Anything odd about this one I should know before I buy it. Should be in the $700 range with the receiver already tapped for a peep sight. Sound like a good average price?
    Last edited by jonp; 09-26-2020 at 10:39 AM. Reason: changed barrel tapped to receiver
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Assuming it is an 1892 - What's the configuration - Barrel and magazine length, Crescent or shotgun butt. If anything is not factory it will reduce the price. If the barrel is tapped - more price reduction. Perhaps you meant reciever tapped. If everything is factory, I would say it's pretty good price. Lots of average stuff around for 900+. For me in 25-20, bore condition is paramount. In my good but worn bore 25-20, I use a .260 bullet
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    that sounds like it might be a pretty good deal if barrel is still good. old winchesters bring good money in just about any condition. I was looking though auction offerings for just that type rifle couple days ago and ones with poor barrels were over $1000. seems anything that shoots 25-20 brings big money these days. the days of old guns found for $200 are long gone I'm afraid

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Assuming it is an 1892 - What's the configuration - Barrel and magazine length, Crescent or shotgun butt. If anything is not factory it will reduce the price. If the barrel is tapped - more price reduction. Perhaps you meant reciever tapped. If everything is factory, I would say it's pretty good price. Lots of average stuff around for 900+. For me in 25-20, bore condition is paramount. In my good but worn bore 25-20, I use a .260 bullet
    Yes, I meant receiver tapped and it's the 1892. 28in octagonal barrel, crescent metal butt plate. Full length magazine tube. Replacement front sight gold bead, Marbles rear sight. Bore is a little dark but no pits. No rust evident on rifle or in bore so I think it's a good shooter or should be. All the wood is used with some dents and dings but no cracks or repairs.

Why would 25-20's be in sudden demand? That seems odd considering the brass and ammo.

Boolit Master
    I don't know they are are in big demand but the prices are up there, for example you would be very lucky to get a marlin 1894cl in 25-20 for less than $800 but the same gun in 218 bee is common $1200 gun, the price of most Remington model 25's in 25-20 is right around $700 it seems and go through the winchester offerings in 25-20 on gun broker . I don't think there is one for $800 most are $1000 to $2500. Its not a common caliber but for me its a lot of fun and a bit easier to reload than 22 hornet

FWIW, Winchester Model 1894/94 receivers were NOT drill & tapped for a receiver sight until the SN 1,790,000 range.

Before that, Model 1894/94's were prepped for a tang sight only (a small drilled/tapped/plugged hole a few inches toward the muzzl4e from the rear tang screw).

The aftermarket receiver sight prep is most likely why it's only $700 (the $20 job devalued the rifle over $1.5K to collectors)

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

If the bore is good and you want a super 22 mag, buy it. The 25/20 is quite addicting. Ive had one for many years, theyre a goto gun. The model 92 is a great working mans lever.

Boolit Master
    Why it recently became so popular is strange to me. It seems to me like it should have never became unpopular. It's, to me, about the slickest small game round every conceived in about the neatest walkabout rifle/rifles made.

Boolit Master

If you have a 28 inch barrel (24 inch standard in rifles), that would be a special order feature and would add to the value. D & T receiver on the side would take away from value. D & T on the receiver tang would be standard. From the sound of it - I would say pretty good deal - especially if it's going to be a shooter. Knowing you, I suspect it'll be a shooter.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, square butte. Definate shooter, I don't own one safe queen. Even the pristine Target Masterpiece I bought like new in box has had several hundred rounds through it. Nothing worse to me than seeing a classic that's never been fired

I think it was drilled after for a sight and the holes have screws in them. Fine by me as a peep sight of some kind sounds just right on that one. I don't care about collector value

Boolit Master
    ive never seen or heard of a winchester 94 or 1894 in 25-20 most of them were 1892 models maybe there are some special order model 53's but those were most all in 32-20, model 65's were mostly all 218 bee but there are some mongrels out there ive seen model 1892 tang stamp and model 53 or 65 barrels. I'm not sure but don't think any 1873 in 25-20 but there were some made in 32-20. im no expert but I thoroughly enjoy lever actions

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ive never seen or heard of a winchester 94 or 1894 in 25-20 most of them were 1892 models maybe there are some special order model 53's but those were most all in 32-20, model 65's were mostly all 218 bee but there are some mongrels out there ive seen model 1892 tang stamp and model 53 or 65 barrels. I'm not sure but don't think any 1873 in 25-20 but there were some made in 32-20. im no expert but I thoroughly enjoy lever actions
    ? The post was about an 1892

Boolit Bub
    I picked up my made in 1911 26" octagon barreled 1892 Win i 25-20 almost exactly a year ago for 500 bucks on Gunbroker. I was the only bidder. Nice gun in good condition

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DDJ View Post
    I picked up my made in 1911 26" octagon barreled 1892 Win i 25-20 almost exactly a year ago for 500 bucks on Gunbroker. I was the only bidder. Nice gun in good condition
    Wow. I've lucked into a couple of those. Bought my Chiefs Special for about $500 online in the box. Once in a while you run across stuff like that

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    ? The post was about an 1892
    The OP made no mention of the model numbers in the original post...…

Many, myself included, sometimes don't read all the reply posts, and just reply to the OP.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy

JonP,
    It sounds worth the $700 range as you describe it.
    The 25-20 is fun to shoot- target or hunting but you will need to reload for it, factory ammo is $70.00+/box of 50 rounds.
    Check out the 25-20 thread on the Marlin Owners forum- over 115 pages of loading info most for cast boolits.
    Have fun!
    Jim

A friend has a takedown 92 in this caliber. I fully agree it’s a 22 magnum with a bit more punch. Since 22 magnum is .20 a round, reloading and casting for 25-20 is a must to enjoy plinking.

I have a Marlin 1894 octagon barrel rifle and a Win 53 in 25/20. Being into 25/20 & 32/20 for 50yrs they are hard to find with nice bores. Both mine shoot excellent with cast bullets. The Marlin bore is dark but not pitted or rusted. The 53 is one of the finest bores I’ve seen in original 25/20s. It shines like a dime. I think it’s a 1927 model. Both rifles aren’t fond of .257” jacketed bullets. Shot a lot of squirrels with both rifles. Never had a wounded one charge.Attachment 268468

Boolit Master

I do not know what it is... but I shot one when I was about 18 years old and wanted one forever after that. I finally gave away the brass that I had acquired over the years and decided that I will never own or afford one in good condition. Really a bummer, was one of my top buck list guns.