Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardness tester

I no longer have access to a BHT but I found out something just as good for bullets.

I found that if I use my thumbnail (Thumbnail is Mohs hardness scale is 2.5 Vs. pencil lead @ 1.0 on same scale) works pretty darn good... it's always "handy" and it NEVER gets lost . I've "tested" a lot of cast bullets I did not cast and would not buy them. My home made cast bullets are plenty hard enough.

I wish someone with a BH tester would compare it to their thumbnail and a pencil!
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master

Thanks to the info on this thread, I ordered - and just received - a Carbine Tree tester:

I'm looking forward to playing with it.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    I have the LBT tester and have had good luck with it.

Ok now another thought.With the modern day we can get out lead analized there is not much need for a hardness tester maybe got a double check.I have found that the lead i had analized and use for my alloys checkes realy close to what it should with the LBT.

Boolit Master

I've been piddling around with it a little this evening - seems the metals I bought years ago on eBay sold as Linotype (4% tin, 12% antimony) is actually Electrotype (2.5% tin, 2.5% antimony), based on the hardness results - only 11 Bhn instead of 19.

Not that I blame the seller - hell, everyone seems to sell printing-press letters as "Linotype" as a generic term and I'm sure they genuinely don't know the difference - but it's annoying when you're trying to reach a certain hardness in your alloy and assume that what you have is one alloy when it's actually a much softer one.

For that alone this was an excellent purchase.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I have the LBT tester and have had good luck with it.

Ok now another thought.With the modern day we can get out lead analized there is not much need for a hardness tester maybe got a double check.I have found that the lead i had analized and use for my alloys checkes realy close to what it should with the LBT.
    Hardness is more than a function of composition. Heat treatment and aging have an effect as well.

I have and use a Lee, it works, I have the scope in a microscope stand. You can use it to measure other things too. I do have to take my glasses off to use it as I am near sighted. It might not be the best but it is what I have and it works.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    I guess basic metallurgy not longer matters.

but then my fault for getting off topic in the fist place.

Just my opinion to help out for what is is worth.

I have the Lee and Saeco but I use the Lee because the dimple is more precise for comparison of the alloy temper. I don't care what a BHN reading is because all of these under 100 dollar testers are not precise enough.
    I use the Lee for comparison. I cast a bullet with my alloy mix and take a sample of the known alloy mix. Lets face it, it's almost impossible to get lead in a pure form anymore. Most is recycled that has WW and other stuff in the mix and the asme goes with tin.
    Every batch of new alloy I make and that is usually 200 lbs but I can only make one batch of around 50 lbs because this is how big my dutch oven holds so I end up making 4-5 batches. Each batch I take a sample and if the Lee dimple is above or below 7.8 I add tin or lead till it measures 7.8 because this is the alloy I use for my Sharps for the long range matches.
    When I get the 4-5 batch ingots that are stacked so not to get them mixed, usually 4 stacks, I take one ingot off each stack and remelt them and get them fluxed and blended so all are the same temper. Yes it's a lot of extra work but I want precise bullet hardness and weight. When I cast my black powder bullets the weight variances are less than 1 grain, 5/10 usually with bullets that range 400 gr to 700 gr for my calibers I shoot.
    As far as holding the Lee tester I just take a sizing die that is the closest to the lee tube and mount it in the in the press and stick the scope through the die body and I have a LED light mounted for a light source.
    It's just my way but it gives me the confidence knowing that it was not the bullet that kicked up the dust missing the target.........

Boolit Mold
    So, in researching over the last couple of days I watched a video or two about using pencils. This seems to be so simple and also very cheap. I'm really leaning towards this now.
    Am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rcslotcar View Post
    I use the Saeco. I cast a few wad cutter bullets as I'm making ingots then mark the hardness.
    This is my technique with the Saeco tester,too.

Some bullet sizes/profiles are just very hard to get straight in there.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the Saeco, too, and at times it gives different readings, which, of course, I attribute to my hands having nothing but thumbs. Still with repeated tests, I come to an average that seems to reflect the real world. When not interested in such precise measurements, I drop an ingot on the concrete floor and if it rings, it's hard; if it thunks, it's soft.

Another vote for Cabine Tree!

Boolit Master

I have the Saeco.
    I just file a flat spot on top of a pointy bullet to use it with this tester.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12