WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Best hunting load with the .260 Remington

Best hunting load with the .260 Remington

I had the bad luck of having a Remington ADL in .260 Remington given to me. What would a good cast bullet load using a Lee mold(I have to buy one so let me know which is the best). What powder would be good.

ACC

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    You need to know the twist rate before you pick a bullet.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I don't believe Lee makes a 6.5 / .264 mold. RCBS makes one,Lyman maybe, NOE lists a few, Accurate will make one for you. Depending on your twist rate, velocity may be limited. The Rem 700 .260 had a 1-9 twist but it has been changed to 1-8... so you'll need to check, though a 130-140 grain will work in most, IF you don't try to push too hard (1800-2000 fps).

Lee made a 170 grain monster called the cruise missile. I have one, it's made for the '96 Mauser. But a normal Remington 260 needs something in the 140 grain range, the RCBS or the Lyman will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    You need to know the twist rate before you pick a bullet.
    Ditto. If the twist rate is fast, like 1-9 or 1-8.5 etc, it will do good with heavy bullets. If it's more like 1-10 then lighter will work better.

As best as I can tell it has a 9" twist as I can measure it. You know a tight patch on a cleaning rod that is marked. That is the only way I know how to tell. But Remington says the .260 with my serial number has a 8.5" twist.

ACC

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry about your “bad luck”

Hope it turns around for you.

What do you intend to hunt?
    Don Verna

Banned

My oldest son's first deer rifle is a Model 7 Remington youth model in .260. Should be the perfect white tail round and it worked well with jacketed bullets, but the rifle was never as accurate as I thought it should be. Haven't shot it in several years.

I started on a cast project with a sporterized Swedish Mauser. It never shot anything very well and eventually I couldn't get rid of it fast enoughgot what I had in it back out of it trading for a Krag sporter which is an infinitely better rifle, but it left me with several molds and then I got a couple more from Dad along with a bunch of his cast bullets, among them the Saeco design that looks to be about 140 grains. When deer season ends, I plan to give a serious go to cast in the 6.5 Creedmoor and the old Model 7 will likely get a go as well. Too many things going on at the moment.