RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Hornady black powder measure

Hornady black powder measure

Does anyone know why hornady discontinued this measure. I am trying to buy one to reload shotshells with black powder and really liked this one. It’s just a PITA to remove each hull from press to add BP then place back on press again. Anyone?

Banned

i use the new lyman brass-smith powder measure specifically for dropping black powder charges. the nonsense about plastic hoppers for smokeless only is just that - nonsense. very pleased with the brass-smith.

Boolit Grand Master

I use lyman BP 55 measure and it does a very good job for me. I wanted the Harrels BP converted measure but ended up with the lyman. I also use my Belding and Mulls for BP. Very good but 2 hand operation with them.

Another way might be a powder thru die in te press where the measure is then drop into a scale pan or old case and pour in thru the powder thru die. Any measure will work with this set up. It wouldnt take a lot to make a powder thru die. a 7/8 14 bolt and a length of brass tubing drill thru the short bolt for the tubing then insert in press and run a case up to top of stroke insert tube in hole to base of case and scribe a line on it with top of bolt. Remove and raise tube .100-.200 above mark and solder in place. a sleeve on the top of the tube to fit a funnel on and its there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    The nonsense about plastic hoppers for smokeless only is just that - nonsense.
    I agree, I’ve been using my Redding 3BR plastic hopper, iron body & drum measure with BP for several years now, it works extremely well. My Lyman 55 BP measure sees little use now.
    Modern BP is graphite coated which will drain off static electricity to ground. The iron body and rotating drum are so closely fitted by Redding there is no possible clunking of iron on iron.

I would have the powder measure mounted away from the vibration of the press. Dispense, weight check, trickle up if necessary then dump the powder pan into a powder through the die set up as mention in above post.

Thanks all. I just purchased the rcbs BPmeasure.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i use the new lyman brass-smith powder measure specifically for dropping black powder charges. the nonsense about plastic hoppers for smokeless only is just that - nonsense. very pleased with the brass-smith.
    Why do you think that, Rob? I'm sure it's probably rare, but I've had smokeless flake powder 'cling' to my plastic RCBS powder funnel, so there is some static present.
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Boolit Buddy

Hornady black powder measure

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...MJ53txxIz-UFvI

This link shows you what happens when static electricity comes in contact with black powder.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Captain*Kirk View Post
    Why do you think that, Rob? I'm sure it's probably rare, but I've had smokeless flake powder 'cling' to my plastic RCBS powder funnel, so there is some static present.
    the link above that ian just posted sez it all.

like lots of fake news in life, bp and static electricity just adds to that list.

That’s great to know. Thanks all for contributing to the static and black powder saga!!

Boolit Master
    Yes powder (both BP & Nitro) will electrostaticly stick to the plastic hopper. I have found wiping the plastic hopper with a anti static dryer sheet doesn't help or does very little.
    I just use a long handled artist paint brush to push the clinging powder granules down.
    The same brush is used to sweep out the powder measure when I’ve finished reloading.

Banned

i just put on a surgical glove, fold up a piece of paper towel, dip it into a container of fine powder graphite, and wipe the hopper insides. no more static cling.

Boolit Master
    Try just washing the hopper with your dishes and let it dry with out rinsing. Works for me! No more clingons :>)
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Loading BP shot shells. ... MEC 650 charge bar, put a cut 20ga plastic hull in the powder hole, for 12 ga dumps 70gr of BP
    Regards
    John