MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingADvertise here
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication

Thread: 8mm mauser oal 185 grain rn fp

Boolit Mold

8mm mauser oal 185 grain rn fp

hi! i am new to the forum as of today. i am looking for the over all length for a gas checked 185 gr round nose flat point cast bullet. looked every where but could not find the info.
    could some point me in the right direction or just give me the info?

thanks- george t

Hey George---welcome to the forum! Your question is fairly simple to answer. There is an OAL for any given cartridge in the loading manuals, but that should apply to any bullet used. The only thing that might change that is if you have an unusual chamber of some sort, or if you're running your rounds through a lever action. Unlikely for 8mm Mauser! Levers can be pretty picky and individualistic about what they feed. But, for example, in a bolt action with a standard factory chamber the OAL is as specified in the loading manual. There's usually a schematic drawing of the cartridge at the beginning of the section for that particular cartridge, and the OAL is shown a part of the drawing. That figure, or less, and you should be good to go.

Banner Sponsor

Hi George,
    For best accuracy with cast bullets you need to seat the bullet into the rifling just a little.
    That is generally what set's the overall length, ad long as it will still fit in the magazine if you want to feed from the magazine.
    The nose profile will be different for different bullets. Some will engage the rifling sooner than others.
    Be sure to size your bullets to fit the throat, or at least .001-.002" over groove diameter.
    Let us know how it goes.
    And we need pics of your rifle

Boolit Mold
    hmm! gonna check that out. the reloading manuals i have show different OALs for different bullet weights and bullet shapes, bit none for a 185 rn fp cast bullet.

i think remember reading somewhere a while back about using dummy rounds and inserting then into the chamber until the bullet just touches the rifling. gonna have to research that. all the old reloading info bookmarks i had accumulated over the years got wiped out by a computer fart.

thanks - george

Mauser "built in" box magazines feed from right and left positions as normal functions and this is something you need to TEST FOR at least several magazine fulls in your own gun before seating a bunch of bullets.

Nose form and OAL do count in a Mauser box magazine's right/left feeding scheme --- so don't get tripped up with them !!!! What works in the left hand position will not work from the right ......

Rounds loaded long to be "engraving the rifling" in a Milsurp Mauser are very likely too long for feeding from the magazine, so they will have to be shot as "drop in" rounds on an empty magazine.

George, you won't get your OAL from a book when shooting your own personal Mauser. Figure it out in your own gun likes and write it down in your load book.
    Last edited by Oldfeller; 09-27-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    All retired now, just growing tomatoes and building and shooting my guns.

Boolit Buddy

You can skip the dummy round step. Load your first round, with bullet very long, NO crimp. Put in chamber and try to close bolt, but don't force it. If bolt won't close, seat the bullet a little deeper, and try again. Repeat until you can close the bolt.
    Inspect bullet for signs of engraving by lands/grooves so you know if it is touching rifling.
    Then load in magazine and see if it will feed. If not, you have no choice but to seat deeper.
    Once you have bullets will feed in your chamber, and your magazine, you are there and you can crimp if desired.
    Once you have this figured out, I take one brass and make a dummy cartridge with it, no powder or primer. Keep this in your die box for future set up of dies.
    Dan

Boolit Master

I would not skip the dummy. Nothing like hard extracting a loaded round, leaving a bullet the the bore, and powder everywhere including binding up the bolt and magazine follower.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Buddy
    You can't just "drop in" a round in Mauser rifles. Mausers have controlled round feeding from the staggered magazine, and you have to feed from the magazine or the extractor's hook will be behind the case head when you try to close the bolt. If you neck size your cases as I do, you can jam a cartridge into the chamber that will require a cleaning rod to remove. Ask me how I know this.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Boolit Grand Master

Would help to know the nomenclature of the specific 185 gr GC FN bullet you're using? Either the mould designation (not the catalog number) and a picture?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    I would not skip the dummy. Nothing like hard extracting a loaded round, leaving a bullet the the bore, and powder everywhere including binding up the bolt and magazine follower.
    I'm with you. I always seat them a few thousandths deeper.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

I stand corrected, and agree with the others. I still use my method on determining oal length, leaving it as long as possible without sticking in the bore and still feed well from the magazine. Sorry about that poor recommendation.