RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Sizing lube when using Alox

Boolit Master

Sizing lube when using Alox

I am still very new to casting bullets and understand the processes involved but there are still some areas that are a little vague.

I'm going to be casting some .452 230 grain bullets and have a Lee .452 resizing die.
    Before I get into any more exotic coatings like powder coating, I plan on using Alox, the application of which seems fairly straightforward.
    When using a waxing substance like Alox, should you apply it before or after sizing? With powder coating, most PC the bullets prior to sizing.
    If you apply Alox after sizing, with the Lee sizing die, is it good to use some lubricant that is then removed after sizing and before application of Alox?

Many thanks...

Boolit Grand Master

You need to apply it before sizing. Otherwise you’re going to stick bullets in the die. Here is a link to Lee’s instructions: http://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/BS2003.pdf

Boolit Man
    OK. Do you then re-apply it after sizing?

Boolit Buddy
    I think the instructions say to apply, size, re-apply.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I tumble lube with Alox and use the Lee push through sizers - my way of doing it - right or wrong, is that before I size any cast bullet, I put them in a tupperware container and put in a small dab of Johnson Paste wax and swirly them around good. Then I size them - then I swirl the sized boolits in a tupperware container with a small dab of the Alox - set out on wax paper or tinfoil and let dry. If I am not sizing the boolits - I swirl in a tupperware container with a small dab of paste wax and Alox. Works for me with both pistol and rifle boolits. Others may have a better method. I've never had an issue with them done that way but I'm not pushing them near max loading data. Has always worked OK for me with gas checked rifle boolits as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive never needed to lube before sizing with a push through, even seating gas checks.
    But I dont do any great diameter reductions either,, some maybe .002" at most.

With the Lee 200SWC and 230 TC I dont even size, just tumble lube and load.
    Last edited by yovinny; 09-25-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Boolit Master
    Many thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

If you have the Lee sizer it should have come with instructions? If using LLA use a light coat [lubed bullets should have a very light golden hue] and let it dry thoroughly before sizing. Best to follow Lee's instructions.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Ive never needed to lube before sizing with a push through, even seating gas checks.
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^
    At worst, a thin film of sizing wax/lube on your fingers as you pick up bare bullet to push through.

Added Hint when ALOXing
    - Put (very) small dab of Liq ALOX on thumb forefinger -- just "greasy"
    - Rotate sized bullet between fingers to grease it up. (you don't need excess/fill groove... just "greased")
    - Place on dinner plate upright as you grease each one
    - Throw in oven at 225 for 20 mins -- allow to cool overnight.

Load/Shoot next day

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by CIC View Post
    I think the instructions say to apply, size, re-apply.
    Yes, I lube, then size, then lube again.
    when it comes to LLA, use as little as possible, some people thin it with MS.
    I use the BLL recipe, which is one way to thin it.
    but if you use it straight, I suggest some heat...Bonus, the heat will tend to flash-dry the LLA.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    you can try using plain base boolits without sizing then you only lube once.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use liquid Alox to lube my 6.5 boolits. Too hard for to stand them up for PC. I tumble them once, let dry size while putting on GC and lube again.

Some people use half Alox and half Johnson’s paste wax. Boolits end up less sticky.

I am in the size first then lube crowd, or minority. If the die is rough inside it causes a lot of resistance and even lead buildup. I polish it with some 1000 grit paper, and the bullets go through much easier.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    You need to apply it before sizing. Otherwise you’re going to stick bullets in the die. Here is a link to Lee’s instructions: http://leeprecision.com/files/instruct/BS2003.pdf
    There were instructions???

One thing I've been doing is I put a drop of BLL in about 500 boolits, swirl it and then size. It has just enough lube that it all goes smooth.
    WWG1WGA

I use the 45/45/10 alox mix along with the Lee sizing dies. I lube then while still wet size and when finished with that I dump them all back into my shaker and tumble again before I put them out to cure over night. Haven't had a problem yet.