WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 22LR mold

22LR mold

I can see this has been asked before. Most of the posts lead down one rabbit trail or another without a definitive answer.

I ordered a bunch of primed 22 cases and will want to load them this winter. The problem is the projectile. 22LRreloader has a kit with a mold but it looks a little lightweight and only has 2 cavity. Plus the cost for what it is seems steep. Here it is for those unfamiliar:
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...2-reloader-kit

I've seen the Old West site. Most of those molds are pretty pricey, exceeding even my HP molds.

I do see where some have used a gas check 22 bullet and used the shank as a heel. But I can't see a solid recommendation of one or another. Maybe I've missed it.

So, I'd welcome anyone's thoughts or recommendations. Failing all else, I'll order the kit above but I'd rather have a multi cavity mold.

Thanks!

Boolit Master

I'm with you. Been reading and lurking around here to see what's out there. Haven't seen much. Problem with GC bullets is the gas check area is not really small enough for a heeled boolit. Might distort the case, leading to chambering problems. Might think of a group Buy, Mihec or NOE, if there is enough interest.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I'm with you. Been reading and lurking around here to see what's out there. Haven't seen much. Problem with GC bullets is the gas check area is not really small enough for a heeled boolit. Might distort the case, leading to chambering problems. Might think of a group Buy, Mihec or NOE, if there is enough interest.
    Well, a group buy from one of the great vendors here would be fantastic. I'm dubious there'd be enough people interested but I'd happily be wrong.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Al, the reloading kit is your cheapest route to put you in business. The Lyman 225438 mold is back ordered and $97.00. And you have expressed your opinion about Old West. Noe has a 225 mold but it’s a35gr.... End of sources
    So order the kit only, heat up your pot and start reloading

PS... these heeled bullets do not need a GC and based on what I have shot, the reloads are as good as you
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-12-2020 at 11:21 PM.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Al, the reloading kit is your cheapest route to put you in business. The Lyman 225438 mold is back ordered and $97.00. And you have expressed your opinion about Old West. Noe has a 225 mold but it’s a35gr.... End of sources
    So order the kit only, heat up your pot and start reloading

PS... these heeled bullets do not need a GC and based on what I have shot, the reloads are as good as you
    Thanks, John Boy. I've read enough of your posts here on this subject to know your answer is pretty authoritative. I was hoping to avoid a single cavity mold. But, alas ...

Thanks.

Member Teemu just pointed me to this NOE mold:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/...1-3-cavity-hb/

Out of stock at the moment but pretty much exactly what I'm looking for in a 3 cavity design. Since I'm in no particular rush, I'll just keep an eye on this one.

Problem (maybe) solved.

Boolit Master

Probably, it is what it is. All I can say.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    I can see this has been asked before. Most of the posts lead down one rabbit trail or another without a definitive answer.

I ordered a bunch of primed 22 cases and will want to load them this winter. The problem is the projectile. 22LRreloader has a kit with a mold but it looks a little lightweight and only has 2 cavity. Plus the cost for what it is seems steep. Here it is for those unfamiliar:

I've seen the Old West site. Most of those molds are pretty pricey, exceeding even my HP molds.

I do see where some have used a gas check 22 bullet and used the shank as a heel. But I can't see a solid recommendation of one or another. Maybe I've missed it.

So, I'd welcome anyone's thoughts or recommendations. Failing all else, I'll order the kit above but I'd rather have a multi cavity mold.

Thanks!
    Who has been selling primed .22lr cases? I heard those had dried up completely.
    BDGR

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post

Thanks!
    Whats the eyedropper for?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogger View Post
    Who has been selling primed .22lr cases? I heard those had dried up completely.
    BDGR
    https://fedarm.com/product/22lr-prim...-2000-ct-pack/

Out of stock now, of course. Setup an email alert and be ready to act fast. It worked out to about 60 bucks for 2000/delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Whats the eyedropper for?
    Bearing in mind that I've only watched the video, you mix your dry components, drop them into the case with a drop of acetone and work it into the rim with their little rim packer tool. Let it dry for 24 hours.