WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 22 autos

New 22 autos

I go through this I think once a year, but the fall season makes me think about it more when my son and I go out in the woods. We have decent 22's, but I don't mind looking at upgrading.

The new Ruger 10/22 with synthetic stock, no sights, but scope base looks nice. MSRP I little over 300.
    The Marlin 795 in its sold fashion is about 190 MSRP.
    And the new Savage 64 FVSR goes around 350, nice features now with rotary mag, accutrigger, and such.

Anyone have any experiences? Obviously the 10/22 can be changed into whatever you want it to look like with all the aftermarket "stuff". The Marlin has been out forever also, a little bit slimmer gun than the Ruger, but are these "Remlinized" like some of the other products? And the Savage edition is pretty new but some of you may have your hands on one, how are they? I like the looks of them.

Keep in mind, I'd be buying two, one for each of us. Price isn't such a big thing, but I don't wanna break the bank either. Maybe buying two from my LGS will give me somewhat of a break too.

Thanks guys!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got 2 10/22's. one stock and one I bought used with a bull barrel and ramline stock. They're plenty accurate for small game and eat anything I feed them. But I've had mine for years and have heard that the new ones aren't quite as accurate.

plus all the aftermarket stuff is fun if you like to tinker.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a few different ones. If I were to add another, it would be a CZ bolt action. I know...not a semi-Auto, but a very fine rifle.

If you dead set on a semi...the 10-22 is a good choice.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I love my 10/22. Got basic model brand new for under $200 and it was great. Then I've added "aftermarket stuff" for the amount about twice what I've paid for the rifle and it's even better now

Well, I shoulda said, it can be a bolt. But, there are so many options to choose from in that category and I already kinda know what I would purchase for that.
    10/22's are nice, owned one in the past but I wasn't really hung up on it. It went down the road towards a Mark 2 Gov target. But I would try one again. I've read the new ones have a tendency on not being as accurate also. I'd rather have a new gun outa the box be what I want instead of buying a bunch of accessories or new barrel to make it shoot or fit me. Seems to me about anyone I know using a 795 Marlin says they're blow a candle light out accurate. Maybe not anymore and I'm not quite in favor of a magazine hanging out under the gun. I'd surely be buying the 7 round mag for them.

The new Savage? Maybe not so many have them yet, at least around here they don't. More money but I do like the features and Savage has been on a roll lately for accuracy.

795 Marlin is same as M60 that is tube fed, just mag fed. My M60 is IMHO more accurate than 10/22 and no problems. However, marlin had changed hands and now (temp) out of business. Oh, tube holds 15-16 rnds.
    Whatever!

Popper, thanks. I'm hoping if the Marlin is the one I get, they're available. I'm leaning away from tube feed though, that's the only thing with a 60.

Boolit Master
    if your not completely decided on a semi auto. I know my child was gobsmacked with the savage BSEV when we went looking though gun stores. very unique design, super accurate and holds resale value very well.

Boolit Master

Semiauto - Ruger 10/22, or a Charger with a brace on it.

Bolt - Ruger American Rimfire.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I have a 10/22 and 2 marlin 60's and a savage a22 target. The savage is the most accurate out of the 3 models, But it's heavy to lug around for hunting. Sweet shooting rifle though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF8380a22.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	268332
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master
    My 10-22 went down the road, my Marlin Model 60 stayed home.

Reason being that the Ruger magazines were next to impossible to keep working after they got dropped on the ground in the northern Nevada desert. No such problem with a tube magazine. Plus as popper said, the Marlin is more accurate out of the box.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have a few 22's in my cabinet. Got bit by the bug a few years ago and Rimfire Central was gas on the fire. For serious accuracy work, the CZ455 gets the nod. Going out in the woods with me is either the Savage B22 FVSR or the Marlin 60. The CZ is just too pretty. Ive had a 10-22 but it just wasn't up to snuff. I love the Marlin even with the heavier trigger. The Savage is nice too. If I had to pick, I couldn't. Those are the three 22s that get shot the most. Its a toss up on accuracy between the Marlin and the Savage. Standard Marlin barrel is about as thick as the Savage, but the bluing is miles nicer than the rough parkerizing of the Savage. The trigger on the Savage has an Apache kit in it and it breaks at 1 lb, clean.

Thanks guys. I guess I just consider both the Ruger and Marlin say theyre 4.5 lbs, thats nice. Im leaning price and accuracy wise towards the Marlin.

For a bolt, obviously the CZ is a charmer. But, when I said above that I had a bolt flavor in mind, Im thinkin about the Savage FVSR. Just seems right for the price and accuracy. It seems as the Mark 2 version maybe goung away to the new style. Either way I think its a good buy for what you all get with it.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Check out the Marlin 39A , it’s not an auto loader, it’s a lever gun . Beautiful and mine is a tack driver!!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master

Does the marlin your looking at have an adjustable trigger? My 2 XT'S do. My XT'22 is the most accurate out of all my 22 LR. The XT 22 mag is very accurate too. I don't have another 22 mag rifle to compare it to though.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Bub
    Cz457 Trainers... Accurate, and just as upgradeable as the 10/22 except for the semi-auto part. Can be converted to WMR with a barrel/magazine change.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ruger American all the way. This is a seriously nice rifle that shoots well.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Ruger American standard model 8301 with the 22 inch barrel. It shoots 3/8" 50 yard groups. My LGS had them on sale 4 months ago for $199,
    Best $199 I spent this year.

Boy I gotta check all of them now. I can't decide and there's a lot of good points here, with good prices. A lot of it may come to what I can get my hands on locally. I'm heading to a few shops tomorrow to see what I can see.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    Boy I gotta check all of them now. I can't decide and there's a lot of good points here, with good prices. A lot of it may come to what I can get my hands on locally. I'm heading to a few shops tomorrow to see what I can see.
    Good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast