RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New 22 autos

I’m 22 rifle poor. The newest one I have is Ruger 77/22, got new when first out. It is now my main serious hunting 22 with 4x. My nephew and my SIL both have Ruger American with 2x7 Nikons. They shoot as well as my 77/22 which is no slouch. It shoots into a dime at 40yds, squirrel sight in.
    Now I herd some 10/22 bad mouthing. The original 10/22s were a lot better rifle than today’s. The plastic trigger housing and barrels on stock model guns aren’t up to old standards. The Marlin 60s are accurate as a rule but they leave a lot to be desired in their feed system. My Bro has a Savage bolt action that has threaded barrel and plastic stock. I think it was on sale for $299. I don’t like it bolt is gritty. It doesn’t have a bad trigger, not quite the rifle the Ruger American is. They are both ugly but Ruger is better shooter of the two.

I had errands to do and went to one lgs. They didnt have much at all. If ida went to my own town i think we have a better selection, but this was kind of like our areas gander mountain so to speak. Heres where im at. I have a 77/22 mag like Drm50. Its a bolt gun to set a standard by. Also a Springfield 87a. Once I messaged the trigger its a good shooter also. The Rossi knockoff Winchester pump works good. And so on.

The more I look at all of these, two big things come to mind and I wish Savage was listening. The snowmobile industry makes a kids 120 sled. Kids love them, drive the hell outa them, but when that age window is grown up enough, the sled is too small. The Rascal is the 120. Savage needs to make stock extensions for that sweet little number. The features and the price makes it hard not to look at them. Ive been pondering all the solutions for this, and a guy could make it work, make extensions. The cz scout is a gem, little more money but its a good 22. Ruger American also, good platform.

I hate to change my mind like a woman but I think I have to steer away from the autos. One factor I didnt think of is that when my boys gun safety class comes, autos are not allowed. An auto can come later down the road.

But I myself would buy him, and me the same rifle to work with, to get him used to all the finer points of shooting.

Gonna keep looking and hopefully the lgs has my name on something

Boolit Bub
    No pump action .22's anymore?

I dunno, been a billion years since I purchased my last .22 rifle. But spent a lot of years chasing jackrabbits on sagebrush flats in Utah. ,22 of choice? A Winchester, tube feed, pump action. Don't seem to hear much anymore about .22 pumps.
    Guess I'm just showing my age.
    LouB

If it weren't for the prices asked, I'd tell you to buy used Marlin 39a over any other form of repeater. They bring premium prices for a reason.

Only owned one 10/22 - never again. It once took me half a dozen shots to anchor a garden-raiding woodchuck at under 30 yards with it. Embarrassing. With Dad's 39a it would have been one.

Don't own a Marlin 60, but I've used Model 60 barrels bought from auction sites to rebarrel old single shot boys' rifles. Set back, and with a tight new chamber, they are very accurate. I'd cite examples but you'd call me a liar. I'll prefer the Marlin Microgroove over Ruger's sledgehammered barrels any day.

In all fairness, a fundamental flaw with all semi-autos is that they have to have sloppy chambers to assure reliable functioning with cheap ammo. Not so your bolt actions.
    Cognitive Dissident

I took my 61 Win over to camp Sunday. I hadn’t shot it in years. I forgot how light and balanced it is. It was still shooting right on the mark but action was gummy. Need to strip it down for proper clean and lube. SIL was trying to trade me the original Ruger 10/22 International I gave her when she hatched my nephew. I got nieces out the kazoo, only one nephew. I’m going to have his DNA checked. SIL is sneaky enough to adopt if good rifle is envolved.

Boolit Mold
    I always recommend older mfgd rifles, as today's quality is subpar at best. That being said, you left out the Marlin Model 60, America's FIRST "Favorite 22"!

I did leave the model 60 out. But, I had said I was looking for a removable magazine other than a tube feed. But that was way earlier in the posts.

As this being his 22, and maybe one for myself, I need a bolt or any form of single shot for his firearm training. No autos allowed, one of those can come later. A hammerless pump action from years gone by would probably be fine also. May have to get the cartridge stop on my dad's old Savage 29 fixed.
    Last edited by Ajohns; 10-07-2020 at 08:36 AM.

CZ 22’s one for you one for the boy. Then go do a Appleseed event in your area,you will never spend a more important weekend with your Son than a Appleseed event. The challenge is with a bolt action rimfire and running a bolt action as it is intended keeping everything on target and in time. All positions are taught the correct way individually assessed and assisted to get it right. Many use the 10-22 and get their Rifleman badge easily ,it is a fantastic level of marksmanship he will have for the rest of his life.

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't help you on what to pick. My 10/22 languishes in the safe and I use my 39a or Rem 66 when a 22 goes out to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    CZ 22’s one for you one for the boy. Then go do a Appleseed event in your area,you will never spend a more important weekend with your Son than a Appleseed event. The challenge is with a bolt action rimfire and running a bolt action as it is intended keeping everything on target and in time. All positions are taught the correct way individually assessed and assisted to get it right. Many use the 10-22 and get their Rifleman badge easily ,it is a fantastic level of marksmanship he will have for the rest of his life.
    That sounds like a lot of fun!

Boolit Master
    Well, Ive bought two more Marlin 60's in the last two weeks to go with the one I already had. Shot the one I already had today with CCI SV and Automatch today at 25 yards with a bipod. All 10 groups with the CCI were touching and easily fit under a dime. The Automatch groups were larger but not horrible. And it comes in 325 round packs. Im still recommending the the 60, even if its for his second rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    We own several 10/22s and they're adequate. We also own a Winchester bolt action single shot that's about 80 years old along with a Henry Youth model lever action.

Now I'm going to say something horrible

10/22s are just tools, they have no soul.

Even my son's Henry, great shooter and the action is butter smooth, has soul. It just feels good.

If I were to go out and buy myself another .22 it would probably be one of the following.

Bolt action- CZ or older Marlin
    Pump- Rem 572
    Semi Auto- Rem 552 or Nylon 66
    Lever- Marlin 39A or Win 9422
    Cargo

What a timely thread. I am in the market for a bolt 22. I've got a 552, a Rem mod 12, a Winchester 9422, and a Marlin 25 WMR. I think a Ruger American is next.Are they as accurate as advertised? What hunting ammo do they prefer. Do they come with a Weaver style base?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Cargo View Post
    We own several 10/22s and they're adequate. We also own a Winchester bolt action single shot that's about 80 years old along with a Henry Youth model lever action.

Now I'm going to say something horrible

10/22s are just tools, they have no soul.

Even my son's Henry, great shooter and the action is butter smooth, has soul. It just feels good.

If I were to go out and buy myself another .22 it would probably be one of the following.

Bolt action- CZ or older Marlin
    Pump- Rem 572
    Semi Auto- Rem 552 or Nylon 66
    Lever- Marlin 39A or Win 9422
    That's not going to offend me at least. I've own one and yes, they don't seem to have the character, at least to me. My Springfield 87 has character and shoots just as good if not better than a 10/22. One auto I did forget to mention was the new Winchester Wildcat. That one looks to be pretty darned nice? Some great features there for sure.

I have read up on the Ruger American. They sure seem to be a good platform. At least for a first timer because of the options they have. Stock pull length and such. But I'm dropping the ball again and haven't been looking real hard around here because the LGS's don't have much left right now. Snow will be falling Saturday, I need to figure what I'm going to order soon.

Boolit Master
    over here the CZ is the bolt gun of choice .1022 are fun guns and fairly accurate as std but easily improved .my martini lh international is amazingly accurate but far to heavy to carry around the fields and woods.my ruger 1022 is a half inch gun at 25 yards about an inch at 50 and very light even with a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    I have the Ruger American standard model 8301 with the 22 inch barrel. It shoots 3/8" 50 yard groups. My LGS had them on sale 4 months ago for $199,
    Best $199 I spent this year.
    I am glad you guys are having success with the Ruger American rimfires. I bought one last Wednesday and carried it back today. 6-7" groups at 50 yds. the magazine would not hold 10 rnds like advertised, only got 7 rnds in it. Darned near bent the 8th round trying to get it in the mag. Fed rough as a cob from the magazine. I have 8 different kinds of 22 ammo and it wouldn't shoot any of it into less that 6". To say that I am disappointed is an understatement.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Man
    I traded a ruger “precision” 22 for a Tikka T1x about a year ago and haven’t looked back since. Most 22’s I have rather they be auto’s, bolts, leverguns, or pumps, all have their “favorite” ammo. The three Tikkas that are on the place now will hold an inch at 50 yards with any ammo from a bench and do better than that by at least half with just about any standard velocity stuff. I gave that first one to my son, bought my wife one, and traded a CZ 457 american that was only a so-so shooter for the latest one. All 3 of these are 20” threaded barrels, the triggers are easily adjusted, the L.O.P. Is a little short for me I believe its 13 1/4”, they come with 1 ten round magazine that Im not particularly fond of the shape but I’ve had no issues with. I currently know of 4 other T1x’s and everyone that owns one loves it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 2 .22LR's a Browning BLR which is as fast as a auto for quick followups and a Rem 582 I got for $75 from a used rack many years ago. Well three with old Marlin 60 but I kinked the recoil spring and need a new one. I just never followed up getting anew one as the BLR an 582 do all I need to do.
    A pawn shop 581-582 would be a good bet for a boy's gun and give him a life time of good shooting if it was in decent shape bore wise.

Boolit Buddy
    I recommend CZs. Plenty of models to choose from to fit your budget.
    Tikkas as well, but they are pricier.
    10-22s are too hit or miss on accuracy, and the triggers are mediocre.

Boolit Master
    Well, I just took down and cleaned a 10/22 for the first time ever. It belongs to a friend of mine that has never cleaned it or taken it apart in the 10 or 15 years he's owned it(he is not very mechanically inclined). Not my favorite rifle to take down and put back together. The Marlin 60, Win 250, Savage B22, 39A, take your pick. They are much easier to take down. It was like I needed three hands. I will say this, the 10/22 is handsome and eats a lot of ammo. The mag is nice and it seems a quality piece.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast