Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Creedmoore?

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Creedmoore?

What exactly does Creedmoore mean? What are this word’s origins? How many different ways is it used?

The Creedmoor International Rifle Match 1874
    The Irish International Shooting team arrived in New York on the 16th of September and proceeded to “take in the sights”, which was understandable, before some practice at the Creedmoor range. On September 26th they presented themselves for the match with confidence and in high sprits. The crowds that day were reported to be between 5,000 and 10,000 strong, which showed the huge support already growing for the fledgling sport in America.

The course of fire was 15 shots to each man at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. Unfortunately, the details of each mans scores at the individual distances have been lost to time but we do know that the Americans were well ahead after the 800 yard shoot. The Irish then caught up after the 900 yard and finished the 1000 yard shoot ahead by 1 point. The Americans still had one man left to shoot and it came down to his very last shot with which he scored a 4 giving the American team the win over the Irish by 3 points. The Americans were delighted with the result and the Irish were reported to have been graceful in defeat.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

So how did we get 6.5 Creedmoore? There are other uses for the word too, aren’t there?

Boolit Buddy
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    Nope, no other uses for the name. Gun makers have used it as a model name to invoke the feeling of accuracy in their products. Now Hornady has used the name for the cartridge to imply that it is good for long range accuracy.

Now they have the 6.5PRS, named for the Precision Rifle Shooting matches. Also to imply that the cartridge is somehow more accurate than others. In this case it simply denotes that the cartridge is designed to shoot a 6.5 bullet at the max velocity allowed by the rules with a case volume optimized for that powder loading.

Boolit Buddy
    A farm was purchased on Long Island from a Mr. Creed to establish a shooting range for long range shooting. A moor is described as an uncultivated piece of land preserved for a shooting range. The place was called Creed's moor and it got shortened to just the Creedmoor range. The competition between the Irish and Americans took place here in 1874. The range is long gone but the name lives on.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    A farm was purchased on Long Island from a Mr. Creed to establish a shooting range for long range shooting. A moor is described as an uncultivated piece of land preserved for a shooting range. The place was called Creed's moor and it got shortened to just the Creedmoor range. The competition between the Irish and Americans took place here in 1874. The range is long gone but the name lives on.
    Correct.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Also, the shooting position of laying on one's back, and putting the butt of the rifle in crook of shoulder and putting the barrel across the crossed legs. Hence, the "Creedmoor" position.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kreuzlover View Post
    Also, the shooting position of laying on one's back, and putting the butt of the rifle in crook of shoulder and putting the barrel across the crossed legs. Hence, the "Creedmoor" position.
    correct....
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kreuzlover View Post
    Also referred to as "Aiming Lying " position as per the 1879 manual....

Attachment 268308

Attachment 268309
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

I know about that shooting position, but didn’t know it was called the Creedmoore position. I think I will try it out one of these days. Anyone here tried it?

Boolit Master
    with my short rifles id probably shoot my foot

Boolit Grand Master

The Wikipedia article was interesting, but didn’t mention what guns were used. Anyone know?

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I think my belly would get in the way !! LOL
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Bub
    It's used all the time in IHMSA silhouette shooting. Shooter lays on his back, head supported by non-shooting hand, pistol is brought up alongside strong side leg, and the shot is aimed & fired. I use a variation in my silhouette shooting, called "dead frog", legs are crossed, pistol is laid across top of strong side leg, and shot is taken.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe I read some where that there were an even number of Sharps and rolling blocks, mostly built to the purpose and 1 prototype Hepburn fired by Lewis Hepburn himself.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Last edited by John Boy; 09-25-2020 at 06:22 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Good reading too!

The classic matches where muzzleloaders were as good as the breechloaders. But, I think it had more to do with who was doing the shooting

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you John Boy for all that great information.

Boolit Grand Master
    During the brief heyday of Long Range Riflery (including at Creedmoor without the final ”e”) popular cartridge rifles included the Sharps, Remington and even some by Ballard and Maynard. Americans used the “new fangled” cartridge rifles chambered for big cartridges while the Irish and Brits and other longtime proponents of the game held on longer to their muzzle loaders. All rifles were single shots with iron sights and were strictly limited in weight and other factors.

Just as a FYI, lack of availability of these 1000 yd ranges and other pressures may have led to the rise in popularity of the “schuetzen” game with lighter rifles shot at ranges of 200 yards or 40 rods (220 yds.) This was also influenced by shooters from the European Continent, especially German and Swiss immigrants.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"