RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data PBcastco

Thread: Beeman Sportsman RS-1 Series

Boolit Master

Beeman Sportsman RS-1 Series

I got this as the result of an unplanned bid at an auction when I heard the word Beeman. It was not until I got it home and examined it more closely that I saw this one is made in China; not Europe. It has a 3-9 Bushnell scope on it.

It functions, and there is no wobble anywhere, but I haven't had a chance to put it on paper.

Cocking effort is high and the trigger pull is incredibly bad -- heavy and looong.

Patches run through the bore with some lead remover solution come out reddish brown that I believe indicates rust. Should I run CLR through the bore?

The question is: Is it worth having this air rifle inspected/lubricated and the trigger pull improved, or should I just mark it as a bad investment? If it's worth fixing up, who does this sort of thing now? Or is this something that can be done in the shop without air rifle-specific tools?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    I got this as the result of an unplanned bid at an auction when I heard the word Beeman. It was not until I got it home and examined it more closely that I saw this one is made in China; not Europe. It has a 3-9 Bushnell scope on it.

It functions, and there is no wobble anywhere, but I haven't had a chance to put it on paper.

Cocking effort is high and the trigger pull is incredibly bad -- heavy and looong.

Patches run through the bore with some lead remover solution come out reddish brown that I believe indicates rust. Should I run CLR through the bore?

The question is: Is it worth having this air rifle inspected/lubricated and the trigger pull improved, or should I just mark it as a bad investment? If it's worth fixing up, who does this sort of thing now? Or is this something that can be done in the shop without air rifle-specific tools?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Maybe the rust hasn't affected accuracy. Yet the accuracy out before you dump it

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hipporider01 View Post
    Maybe the rust hasn't affected accuracy. Yet the accuracy out before you dump it

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk
    That was the plan. I was wondering if the air rifle is worth sending off for servicing (or trying it myself -- here, hold my beer) and doing something about that ghastly trigger pull.

Cheers,
    Richard

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Beeman were pretty "high end" pellet guns in their day. I have an R7 made in "West Germany" that is my favorite pest gun around our little wood lot. I did not know Beeman was ever made in China, but I would expect a true copy would at least be better than most cheap China made products because of its design. Evidently they did not copy the adjustable trigger I have on mine, which can be taken down below 2#. Regardless, if you can clean up the bore, doing the trigger work would be worth the investment in time or money IMO. While I have never been impressed with Chinese leading edge technology, there few countries that can match them in cloning good designs (or stealing the best!).

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a cleaning rod and a bore brush use a bore solvent like Hoppes and scrub the barrel from the chamber end.
    It should clean up ok. May take quite a few pellets to get accuracy after cleaning.
    What caliber is it?
    I thought the RS1 was dual caliber and came with 2 barrels 177 and 22.

Boolit Master
    I have an RS1 that has two barrels the 177 and 22. Accuracy is not the best with about 1" at 20yds with RWS match pellets.
    I bought mine for $108 IIRC which I suppose is about what it's worth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by recumbent View Post
    If you have a cleaning rod and a bore brush use a bore solvent like Hoppes and scrub the barrel from the chamber end.
    It should clean up ok. May take quite a few pellets to get accuracy after cleaning.
    What caliber is it?
    I thought the RS1 was dual caliber and came with 2 barrels 177 and 22.
    It's .177 and only the one barrel.

If I can find instructions on how to disassemble it, I might see if I can do something about the trigger. And I'll work on the bore and put it on paper. If these fail, I think I'll use it as an example of why unplanned bidding is not a good idea.

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life