WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Alcan primers

Boolit Master

Alcan primers

Ive been shooting sw/alcan primers,in my .45,,,they must be 45 years old,,no misfires,,when did alcan go out of business?

Late 70's or early 80's. Their supplier's powder plant in Sweden blew up. Bad all around. They had some good stuff. Hot primers.

Boolit Master
    I have some Alcan shotgun primers

Boolit Master

I was recently gifted a can of AL5.

Boolit Master

My LGS stocked Alcan powders and primers back in the '70's, they were good stuff.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    I have some alcan/s&w LR primers I only use in one rifle.
    No particular reason behind the limited use, it just kind of happened, but its resulted in their very long life...

Boolit Master

My first buy of primers were 5000 Alcan small rifle primers used in my .222 and finished in my .223 That was in the 1970's and they were gone by 1978 when I bought 10k CCI Small rifle primers on sale at I think was Value house for $20.0 per 5000k case, along with 40 bags of lead shot at 8.00 dollars per bag. My Plymouth wagon drug ground on the way home.

Boolit Master

I got a 3# can of AL7 a few years ago. Works nice in .38/.357. Be sorry when it's gone.

Boolit Buddy
    Still working on finishing off the last few hundred of my Alcan small pistol primers, 3 pound keg of AL8, 4 pound keg of AL120, and 209 Max Fire shotgun primers. Don't think I'll ever use up all the old Flite Max, fiber, and regular card shotgun wads.

Hated see them go back in the day. Local Western Auto store carried all their products.

Boolit Master
    I'd sure like to find a couple of pounds of unopened AL-7 & AL-8, in good shape. Does anyone know what their rough equivalent(s) might be, these days?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

Alcan stuff is getting close to antique status, but it was good!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    In the 60's, I used Alcan musket caps - the only thing I could get at the time. If I remember correctly, when Alcan started making them, I think it was Turmer Kirkland (founder of Dixie Gun Works) who put in a huge order for them and for a lot of rifled musket shooters, that was about what you were limited to. I think I still have a tin of 100 kicking around. They worked fine. I was eventually able to get some German made musket caps - don't remember the maker - but I used the Alcan caps for a long time. IIRC, I think the cost of a tine of 100 Alcan musket caps was around 40 to 50 cents in those days - a pound of DuPont BP was 75 cents.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know for sure when they went out of business, I'm thinking early to mid 1970's.

When I first started following Dad around bird dogging for him when he was dove hunting, I remember at least one box of Alcan 20 gauge shells in the seat of the 71 Maverick.

When I got my first shotgun, an H&R .410 for Christmas in 1975, Alcan shells were a thing of the past as far as I know.

Robert