Inline FabricationADvertise hereRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: A little experiment with my 91 Argentine

Boolit Mold

A little experiment with my 91 Argentine

So I was finishing up at the range and decided to experiment with single loaded rounds vs. magazine fed rounds fired. I found that the mag fed seemed to shoot a little tighter..... hmmmmm...

1891 Argentine Mauser
    Norma 7.65x53 brass
    WLR primers
    16.5 grains IMR-4227
    2.900” OAL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2E5F5A2-6FC0-4B29-9250-9DDE6B3F6F26.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	268274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2E5F5A2-6FC0-4B29-9250-9DDE6B3F6F26.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	268274

Boolit Mold
    Ok. I will have to download the other target later. Having some difficulties.

First thing that comes to my mind is maybe it had something to do with heat. The rounds in the mag would be exposed somewhat to the heat generated by the round being fired and if you're doing fairly quick follow up shots, the chamber would conceivably be hotter when they go in as well. What strike me as odd is that the big thing i know about heat is that when guns get really hot, like machine guns getting hot, they start spitting the rounds out with far less accuracy.
    Maybe that amount of heat is a sweet spot. Warms 'em just a little so they fit tighter in the chamber?
    This of course is pure conjecture. I have no idea the rapidity b y which you were shooting. Maybe having a mag of them let you keep more concentration on the target. So could be mechanical, could be the operator.
    This interests me and any more info you could provide about the methodology along with the second target you mentioned would be great to see.
    Thanks for the puzzle!
    Cheers,
    flop

1891 Argentine Mauser
    Norma 7.65x53 brass
    WLR primers
    16.5 grains IMR-4227
    2.900” OAL

what boolit were you using

ARs have the same problem. It's alignment in the chamber. Even 'riding' the handle in AR will blow the group.
    Whatever!

Boolit Mold
    I have no idea why this other pic will not load. Chapping my fanny!!!! Sorry, forgot bullet info.

314299 sized to .313
    2500 lube
    Gas checked
    50 lead/50 Linotype

I used about a 30 second cadence between shots on both single feed and mag fed. After firing the 5 single feed shots I waited 5 minutes then began the mag fed experiment.

I know the wisdom with Garands is the first round that you have to feed into the chamber will be a little different poi than the other 7 that are worked over by action.

Boolit Master
    Could be that when cycling the loaded rounds through the magazine the powder ends up in the front of the case rather than up near the primer. Could very well be wrong on this. Frank

Boolit Mold
    [IMG][/IMG]

There it is. Finally. This is the target I shot using magazine fed rounds. Same range and the same POA as the single loaded one seen above. Tighter and about an inch lower. I recall Harris saying something about using the magazine when he is shooting when he wrote “The Load”.

Boolit Grand Master

When shooting from the bench loading from the magazine most often gives a much more uniform and consistent positioning of the powder when the cartridge is chambered. With smaller reduced charges of powder in large cases [such as 16.5 gr 4227 in the 7.65 Argentine case] powder positioning is not consistent when single loading unless one takes care to do so.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla