RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman mould handles

Lyman mould handles

Hello, I'm a new caster. Recently, I bought a Lyman double mould and then picked up some Lyman mould handles, both on eBay. When installed, the mould blocks don't close. Did Lyman make make single cavity handles? Any info would be appreciated.

yepper....they made a small for single blocks...you need the double handles...or get a set of Lee 6 cavity handles...they work fine for the lyman 2 cavity as well.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Take 'em apart, and look where the holes are in the handles.

Not sure which ones I had to do it with for a similar mix & match conversion,
    but you may be able to drill a 2nd pair of holes in those handles and make them work.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Lyman 2 cavity mold handles have a notch cut in the inside of the jaws so they fit around the bigger molds

Boolit Master
    By how much don’t they close? Lyman definitely made single cavity handles and if you in fact do have single cavity handles they’re not going to work on A double cavity mold. I have had issue with the mold blocks not closing by about a millimeter in that case my simple fix was the sand the inside of the handles, putting flat spots on them which allowed the mold blocks to close perfectly. For me it was a lot simpler than trying to drill new holes or enlarge the pinholes in the handles . Hope this help
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I use lee 6 cavity holes on my Lyman 2c molds, also on my 4c Lyman molds, they take a little grinding to fit but work very well.

Thank you all. After looking at the eBay add on oof the photos does show "Small" on the box. I was thinking about getting a single cavity mould for my 45-70. Hey, there's no time like the present. I assume a mould for a single cavity 45 will fit?

Boolit Grand Master
    Maybe, maybe not. Small Lyman handles are meant for the really small single cavity mold blocks that Ideal and then Lyman made decades ago. I'm not sure just when Lyman quit making the small blocks, but it has been quite a while.

For instance if you buy a new 457122 hollow point mold for your .45-70, it is a single cavity built on a double cavity sized block. Thus it needs the "large" handles.

The problem is the handles aren't clearly marked as to which size they are, at least none of mine are. IF the box they come in is missing, as most are, it is a real guessing game as to what they properly fit.

Robert