MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Manual for a Lyman Spartan Press?

Boolit Master

Manual for a Lyman Spartan Press?

I posted this in the vintage reloading equipment also so if I did something wrong by posting it in two places mods please remove one of your choosing. Anyway I have a new to me Spartan single stage press. Anyone have or know where I might find a manual for this little gem. I checked out the Lyman website, went through all of their manuals, no luck. Boy you think Lyman would give you some kind a search option instead of having to have to go through every manual. Anyway any help would be appreciated
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I've had a Lyman Spartan since about 1976, but never had a manual as I bought it 2nd hand from a sheriff's deputy who had used it to load thousands of 9mm rounds. It's a very simple, straightforward press with few mysteries. What do you need to know?

If you really need a manual, you might try Cornell Publications. They have an astounding amount of old manuals, and sell reproductions. They're very friendly folks, and will answer your e-mails promptly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    I've had a Lyman Spartan since about 1976, but never had a manual as I bought it 2nd hand from a sheriff's deputy who had used it to load thousands of 9mm rounds. It's a very simple, straightforward press with few mysteries. What do you need to know?

If you really need a manual, you might try Cornell Publications. They have an astounding amount of old manuals, and sell reproductions. They're very friendly folks, and will answer your e-mails promptly.
    It’s not that I needed I mean it’s kind of self-explanatory. It’s more that I enjoy reading and having a copy of the old manuals to go with my vintage equipment. Thanks for the suggestion I’ll try Cornell

I have one also that I bought at a big antique show in Central NYS for $15 a couple years ago. I also would be interested in some literature.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E652E36A-6D09-4D46-8E6B-9C41B8C1631D.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	268298

Boolit Master
    the old ones still work great for me.

Boolit Master

I have the instructions for the Comet press if those will work fot you?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys,
    Pressman was nice enough to email a copy. Very cool little press! Just a little bit stouter than the leasee press I have sitting on a shelf! Lol! I think it’s really a neat Lyman Inc. and upstroke option. So that you could use it for swaging! Not that I would consider swaging bullets with it but very cool just the same. I can certainly see getting a lot of use out of this for certain functions I don’t have any of the priming arms or tubes but I’m not really concerned about that I rarely do any priming on the press and I have many more options if I choose to do so . I’ll find them someplace at a garage sale or something. For a simple little press I’m quite enamored with it. Anyway thanks guys for the replies

Hey Poppy, I have a spartan also. I use mine mostly for pistol cartridges. It does pretty good. I've modified mine some, I removed the ears that hold the priming parts, both top and bottom of the opening. I also made a wooden wedge to go under the base so the ram is vertical instead of angled. I've tried it both ways and right now I'm going original angle. Next I'm going to put a ball on the handle.

Boolit Master
    Hey Bazoo
    Very cool little press! Certainly is a heckuva lot stouter than the Lee c press lol. No hate mail! I have the Lee C press and I use it quite often. Anyway very interesting little press I find it really neat that in Lymans design they included the upstroke option. For Hahaas I sent an email to Lyman and ask them if there was a way to purchase either Limon orange paint or powder coat. Heck I’d refinish up my 55, my true lion Junior, etc. ETc. Yeah I know the Spartan was originally gray. I like the orange better though. I doubt they’d sell me any and if they do I’d probably have to take out a second mortgage to buy it but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Some of the things I've done to mine will culminate in a repaint. It'll take me a while though.