Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Lube for cast pistol bullets.

Boolit Buddy

Which Lube for cast pistol bullets.

I currently have two lyman lubesizers both with SPG in them. I want to change one of them for cast pistol bullets only leaving the other one for my Blackpowder cast bullets. I cast 9mm, 38 Super, 45 ACP, and 44 Mag. What lube would be best?

Boolit Buddy

I really dig Lyman Orange Magic. It works for me in 9mm boolits 356402 and 356634 sized .356 in my Colt and G17 Wheaton Arms barrel without leading. This is something since 9mm is a persnickety caliber with regard to leading.

Banned

I've used SPG in everything. I do know they are making a stiffer version of their famous lube.

Vendor Sponsor

Man, hard to beat SPG. I use that, and Randyrats Tac1 get that here on the forum. Any soft lube is good for what you want it for.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned the SPG will work fine with cast bullets in pistols. However, if you want to switch then I suggest Lars White label BAC or the 50/50 lube. If you want something a bit less "sticky" then try the Carnauba Red.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Ben’s Red! I use it for everything. You can find the formula to make your own in the classic and stickies section
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Yes to all the above with the Lyman Lube sizer (I use one too), but at pistol velocities you can also use tumble lube. I use a lot of Ben's Liquid Lube with excellent results for pistols.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know if it's best or even close but I use Lars Carnauba Red for my .38 special and .357.

Boolit Master
    The old NRA 50/50 or XLOX 2500 works well. Used 50/50 for for over 40 years and switched to XLOX 2500 as it was a bit less tacky and made the lubed bullets easier to handle. White Label has both and neither needs a heater at room temperature.

Lanolin, olive oil and beeswax, using it for almost everything.
    Sometimes I tinker with an adjunct or two but if if works for black it works for 99% of what I do.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you want to mix your own and have something inexpensive which works well in most applications a 40-60 ratio of either:

ATF and beeswax
    olive oil and beeswax, or
    neatfoot oil and beeswax are all hard to beat.

If you don't have a local source for beeswax, an acceptable substitute is to blend 50-50 by melted liquid volume of Vaseline and Gulf canning wax, or 50-50 of Fougera Lanolin Modified topical lubricant or Bag Balm and paraffin to substitute for the beeswax and then blend with the oils as described.

These work with either black or smokeless.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    The old NRA 50/50 or XLOX 2500 works well. Used 50/50 for for over 40 years and switched to XLOX 2500 as it was a bit less tacky and made the lubed bullets easier to handle. White Label has both and neither needs a heater at room temperature.
    Add another for 2500+ , works in everything I load from 9mm to 22 Hornet

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    About fifteen years ago, I did a side-by-side twenty-five yard accuracy test using five lubes and two revolvers, a Colt .357 Magnum and an S&W in .45 ACP. In the .357 I used the H&G #51 160 grain SWC and #2400 powder. In the .45 ACP revolver, I used the H&G #68 200 grain bullet and Bullseye powder. Agreed, certainly not the most comprehensive testing. There were measurable differences in accuracy, but not much. A 50/50 lube is almost always a good choice, but so are many others from the perspectives of accuracy and minimal or no bore leading. Choosing a lube based on firmness and texture alone might be a pretty good way of making a selection.

Boolit Master

I use BAC or Carnuba Blue
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Moley lube, No muss no fuss. had good luck and it works for what I do. No heating needed witch is a plus for me.

Boolit Master

Ben`s RED or start powder coating .

Boolit Buddy
    When I do it right (no really visible lube on boolits) WLL 45/45/10 has done it all for me, from 357 Mag our of revolvers and leverguns to 45/70 out of leverguns.

I am in the process of now trying it for 9mm out of pistols and carbines. I cannot see why it wouldn't work as long as it is "coated" correctly on the boolits.

And easy???? You can use butter dishes, plastic bags, coffee cans, whatever to coat your boolits. And if you are lucky, you don't have to resize either. I just happen to use a LEE push through sizer...easier for me than the old lubersizer style.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What lube would be best?
    http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm
    Pick one, they all have been proven ... "best"
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

I use a modified Emmett's for both BP and pistol lube. I don't push any pistol boolit fast enough to overwhelm this lube so far. I have that in one lubesizer and Ben's Red in the other and the size dies fit both so I can, if I want, lube my .357 or 44 Mag with Ben's Red if I decide it's needed.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Was using BAC, as i previously recommended, and it's still an excellent choice. However I ran out and have lots of 2500+ so I thought I'd try it on pistol bullets as it's excellent on rifle bullets. 2500+ is working excellently across the velocity range from 600 fps up through 3000 fps.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast