Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: analyzing lead ingots?

Boolit Bub

analyzing lead ingots?

Bought from Navy arms maybe 2 decades ago around 50 or so 1 lb ingots. Still have the wooden ammo box they came in. Inside lid still has the paper tag 50/50 tin, lead. No receipt. Well I am never gonna use them and am wary of selling them as how do I know what they are? Roto metals web sight doesn't seem to offer this service. I want them out of here. Any Ideas or just cast them up into fishing sinkers? Thanks for looking, Jaeger.

Boolit Master

Take picture and put them in swapping and selling if they are 50/50 thats a lot of tin for alloying , waste for sinkers , great for making bullets

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like some sort of solder to me.

Where are you located? I could use a couple pounds.

Boolit Master
    I gotta believe someone on here would be happy to pick them up .
    what part of the country are you in?

Boolit Bub
    I live "down east" NC. Think Harkers Island. I'd rather sell them as I did buy them. I only use as pure a lead as I can get for muzzleloaders. At the time I was fixin to get into black powder ctg. shooting. Is tin worth more or less than lead? I don't even know.

Boolit Master
    The tin is worth 8 to 9 times what the lead in the ingot is worth. At S&S forum prices a one pound 50-50 ingot contains $0.50 of lead and $4.00 of tin. Some sellers will ask a little more, especially if the alloy is marked bar solder which backs up the content claim, others a bit less.

You might consider pm'ing member BNE: for a pound of lead he was using lab grade XRF instruments to analyze samples sent to him by members, but last I heard he was taking a break for a variety of reasons.
    Last edited by kevin c; 09-29-2020 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Clarity

Some scrap yards have XRF instruments for testing. If you find one local they may do it for a small fee. Might be worth checking out.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes check local scrap yards. All medium to big ones have an x-ray analysis gun. That is their JOB - knowing what is in the metals they are buying! Take one in with you and tell them you have a bunch you would like to sell them but you do not know what it is (play dumb).

My yards do it for free. But I buy a LOT from them!

Banned
    IF you confirm they are 50/50, you could possibly go on S&S and trade 20# of 50/50 for 50-60# of pure (somewhere around that ratio you would need to research the going rate for 50/50 and pure)

Pictures would help possibly identify what you have without testing.