Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 356634 Over All Length & Powder Data

Boolit Master

Lyman 356634 Over All Length & Powder Data

I am having problems finding load data for this boolit and it was suggested that the Lyman 47th or 48th manual might have it.
    Does anybody have either of those?

Boolit Grand Master
    What cartridge?

Boolit Buddy

I load mine to 1.016-1.020. I use 3.8 grains of Unique. Now that I have adjusted my seating and crimp dies properly this combo sized .356 and lube with Orange Magic function 100% in my G17 with Wheaton Arms barrel. No bad pressure signs on the primers.

I tried some sized .357 again with 3.8gr. of Unique and lubed with Jakes Moly Ceresin in my Ruger PC carbine. 100% function and Excellent accuracy at 25 yards, better in fact that Federal 124gr. FMJ. Some leading with this combo leading me to experiment with .358 sized bullets. I will try some more .357 sized in my mini Beretta Cougar.

I have some sized .358 lubed with Thompson Red Angel waiting to test in my Browning HP and Ruger PC carbine. This combo is awaiting mynext range visit hopefully tomorrow.

Boolit Buddy

Also the load data I found was actual Lyman data that was in one of those one book one cartridge books. I chose Unique because that was the only recommended powder for that bullet I actually had on hand. I am pleased with Unique for this boolit.

I cast these with Rotometals #2 Alloy which yielded as cast boolits .3585 weighing 129.2-129.4gr.

When my grubby remelt alloy which was mostly hardball, was used these cast at 131.1-131.4gr. I think they as cast at .3575. Those bullets were sized .356 for my G17.

I prefer #2 alloy for this bullet but its expensive.
    Last edited by Divil; 09-24-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    What cartridge?
    9mm Luger

Boolit Master

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Divil View Post
    Also the load data I found was actual Lyman data that was in one of those one book one cartridge books. I chose Unique because that was the only recommended powder for that bullet I actually had on hand. I am pleased with Unique for this boolit.

I cast these with Rotometals #2 Alloy which yielded as cast boolits .3585 weighing 129.2-129.4gr.

When my grubby remelt alloy which was mostly hardball, was used these cast at 131.1-131.4gr. I think they as cast at .3575. Those bullets were sized .356 for my G17.

I prefer #2 alloy for this bullet but its expensive.
    I’m curious if your mold is dropping Boolets at .3575 why did you try to size em at .358? Are they even touching the sizing die? I guess I’ve been lucky with my molds and alloy. I don’t have that particular mold but the five or six .356 molds I do have have never dropped boolets.002 over specified diameter. Anyway just curious
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy

To answer your question my measurements are done with a set of calipers because I don’t have a micrometer. When I used the #2 alloy I got the .3585 as cast diameter. The best looking of those bullets I reserved for .358 sizing since touching is minimal. The uglier bullets with the #2 alloy get .357 or more likely .356 sizing since that may take a little of the ugly out and leave nice clean looking boolit sides.

Since #2 alloy is expensive, I cast one session worth of remelted commercial cast bullets and previously cast boolits using mostly hardball alloy. They weighed a bit more and all were sized .356 for consumption in my G17.

Boolit Master

A friend has a Lyman 47th edition and sent me a copy of the data!

Boolit Buddy

Glad your friend was able to supply the data.

Below are my #2 Alloy cast #356634 bullets sized .358 and lubed with Thompson Red Angel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	699EAD84-0A66-4F21-BA0D-7D11007807FA.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	268346

Name:	5C5704F6-2467-4939-8384-72302245D4E9.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	268345

Below are the results of 2 17 round mags in my Ruger PC carbine at 25 yards using the .358 bullets with 3.8 grains of Unique. Yes I need glasses.

Name:	3B215DE1-AAAD-4BAC-AB13-281CF779CFCB.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	132.7 KB 
ID:	268347

Finally are the .358 bullets again with Unique. This time 13 rounds at 17 yards out of my Browning HP with factory barrel. I just cleaned the pistol and found no evidence of leading with this combination!

Name:	1A861F49-638B-4BB5-ABAF-BD8C511689FC.jpeg 
Views:	126 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	268348

Boolit Buddy

Just cleaned the mini Cougar 9mm. Using .357 boolits with Jakes Moly Ceresin lube and Lyman #356634 boolit it had the absolute faintest leading that was removed with regular hoppes #9, minimal scrubbing and 3 patches. I have scrubbed more using cheap FMJ ammo (just the low quality stuff) with this pistol to get it clean, so I am satisfied with the cast boolit results for now.

I also cleaned my Ruger PC carbine. In the past .357 sized boolits did produce stubborn leading. Using .358 sized boolits lubed with Thompson Red Angel there was no leading at all. In fact I have never seen such a clean bore in a fired gun. Granted I only fired 34 rounds but I was still impressed. Just 1 wet and 1 dry patch and the bore was pristine. I have never had that happen before.

Boolit Master
    Forgive me for saying, but your 3.8/Unique powder charge seems light. That's a starting charge for a 147gr. projectile. Are you intentionally working up a very sedate load? Or are you just erring on the side of caution, for lack of loading data, for this particular bullet?
    BTW, that's one VERY nice looking Hi-Power!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy

The Lyman data I have lists 3.5-4.0 grains of Unique for that specific bullet. I understand that it seems light however, the bullet seats short at 1.016-1.020 perhaps this keeps the pressure sufficient to develop adequate slide and bullet velocity. This load combination reliably cycles in my G17, BHP and Ruger Carbine.

Thanks for noticing the BHP! Its been a work in progress, adjustable sights are next!