Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for 300 savage 99

Boolit Mold

Reloading for 300 savage 99

Hi there guys,not sure if this is the right spot or not but since it involves the evil J word projectiles I didnt want to ask in the main forums.

My dad has a lever action savage 90 not sure what year it is, but the old style with the rotary mag and bullet counter. It's at my brothers house in the UP, so cant go look.

Anyway dad suddenly he got the itch to shoot it but at 2plus bucks a pop (if you can even find it) he asked my to reload it. So he bought the dies and I said I'd load for him.

I figured I would use 150 grain round nose speer hot core bullets as i got some on sale and being a close ranged lever gun I dont plan to push hard I figure spire point boat tail is overkill.

However it seems loading data is a bit limited and my lyman 50th book only lists a few loads.

It lists a 150 grn spire point, and 180 grn round nose. So I am wondering should I use the load for the 150 or 180?

Besides the slight differences in max powder, the oal is different. The 150 says 2.600 and the 180 rn say 2.560.

I was thinking to use the 2.560 as oal since round nose dont taper and I dont want over pressure. But I also don't want to have the bullet pushed to far back in the case.

The other consideration is the savage 99 magazine length which I have heard is a limiting factor in length.

I did measure an old cartridge he had laying around(spire point) and it's oal is 2.40
    Interestingly enough if load my speer 150s to oal of 2.40 also, it looks like the cannulure will match up with the case.

Anybody load for the 300 savage lever guns and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Don't try to get exotic. Load your 150s to the 2.4 length and be happy. I find 165 grain spier point bullets work best in my 99. Can't say how long but what ever works through the magazine.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, I'm still new to reloading so I just follow the book, but in this case there wasnt an exact bullet style and weight to match mine.

So I thought id ask to get second opinion.I was kinda worried if I seated the bullet to deep in the case id have problems.

Boolit Buddy
    Try Ken Waters Petloads article, it's good....

& http://ataleoftwothirties.com/?p=1026

& try the New Hornady Monoflex .308 in 160g.

Boolit Master
    I agree with the Ken Waters recommendation in his "Pet Loads" book (s). If your loading manual used a Savage bolt action to develop their loads, reduce the top load by at least 10%! In a 99, I use 40 gr IMR 4064 for excellent results with a Hornady 150 SST. If you load 44 gr of that powder, you will find the Savage 110 with its big front-locking bolt is much stronger than the rear-locking 99. You will get stretched cases and very short case life with 44 gr IMR4064 in a 99 with the rotary magazine. The later models, the longer ones with a box magazine for 308 class cartridges, are heavier and heat treated better to handle the higher pressures of the 243, 308, and 358.
    Last edited by Norske; 09-25-2020 at 06:07 PM.

Banned
    Skip'em both and load up some 130gr TTSX bullets. At around 3k they really knock the wet off of stuff.

43grs of H4895 with 130gr TTSX in a 99, and 44.5 in a bolt action.

150gr use 39 or so grains of the same powder

I been using Speer 130gr HP in 300Sav for years/ IMR-4895. Before I used a Rem 170gr RN, same one Rem used in factory loads. The discontinued it’s sale years ago. I have no 99 in 300sav only a Rem 81.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys. I will keep an eye out for the 130gr TTSX and read the pet load link.

I am confused about reducing 10 percent though. I have varget powder and the min listed for a 150 is 38 grns, and a max of 42.

So if I reduce the max by 10%, or 4.2 grains, it is below the mins.

My plan was to start at 38 grns varget and work up at half grain up to 40. And then narrow down from there in 10s of a grain.

Ive been using the nosler 125gr accubond with Rl 7 powder. Knocks the snot out of deer and very accurate in my 99.

Boolit Mold
    What oal are you guys using?

Boolit Master
    38 grains of Varget or 4064 + any old 150 grain bullet in your .300 99 and call it a day. That's how I treat my .300's and life has been good. 'Tain't rocket science- just don't dance around the high end of things and good case life and accuracy will be certain, not to mention darned efficient when it comes to killing deer. Been using 38 grains 4064 since Reagan was in office, and never any need to vary it with all the 99's owned between my late Dad and I.

As for OAL, that'll be determined by whatever bullet you use. If it's short enough to feed through the rotor and into the chamber you'll be good to go.

Boolit Master
    Being Grandpa is likely a Yooper hunter. And I in Minnesota. That makes us neighbors and quite proficient in the woods. So here's my preference's for use:
    IMR 3031 @ 37.3 grs tipped w/a 170 gr FP shoots well. As does IMR 4320 @ 42.0 grs tipped w/a 150 gr PSP.
    As for brass. When times got tough and there wasn't much brass available I've made 300 brass from 308 and I actually liked such trimmed brass better than factory 300 Sav brass. Good Luck with your endeavor to help Gramps out.

The .300 Savage works just fine with standard cup and core bullets. You can safely use the 150 gr bullet with data for the 180 gr bullet but not vice versa. On my 99 Savage .300, I had to full length size the brass for good function as it had a generous factory chamber. My custom 98 Mauser and Remington 81s in .300 were more forgiving.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks guys. I'll seat them to Oal of the 2.4 as suggested and see what happens. Sadly since the rifle isn't with me I cant make a dummy round and and keep playing with it until it cycles well.

I was just worried if I seated for OAL of 2.4 it might do something with pressures. I don't know enough to know when to adjust different than the book.

I plan to keep it a grain or 2 under the max load for case life and gun wear etc. Basically a souped up 30-30 brush gun type deal.

Dad is a troll lol we all grew up in mid michigan(the ugly middle part lol) but older bro moved up to the UP. His kids are yoopers though

Brother took the rifle since up there he can use it. Down here is shotguns and muzzle loaders. Though they did let some select calibers recently. Which is why I also have a 450 bushmaster I use when I am back in MI for deer. Hits them like a hammer. One day i would like to cast some boolits for it.

Boolit Master

Not having the gun in hand, you should not load any rounds. You do not know the condition of the chamber or it's size. You need the gun to check your first load for fit. The first load should be at the low end of recommended data and tried for cycling through the action before firing it. If cycling and first firing goes well, then start further development.

It would be disappointing to make up a box full of cartridges, give them to your dad and have them not work or damage his gun because of issues with the gun, dies, or your loads.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

I think Hornady makes a 150gr bullet specifically for the .300 Savage. I think it's a SST, for the lower velocities of the .300Sav.
    Check their latest Manual if you can.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Handloader magazine ran an article about loading the 300 Savage a couple of years ago, a bit of digging may turn it up.

Eric

Boolit Master
    Midsouth has blems of that 300 Savage 150 on sale now.
    Please pay attention to the firearm used in any data you reference, including the Waters article mentioned. That was in a Remington bolt action. Your 99 isn't that strong, your 99 isn't that strong! Do not use max bolt loads in your rifle. The SAAMI pressure limit for the 300Sav is just under 53,000 psi (308Win is 62,000 psi), and one long article I read claimed Winchester loaded their factory ammunition only to 46,000 psi.
    The most comprehensive Savage 99 forum I ever found was in www.24hourcampfire.com. You will hate the ads unless you have a popup blocker, but the Savage info is great.
    Last edited by Norske; 09-25-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Banned
    CC work, but it's hard to not like the speed and accuracy of the 130gr TTSX. It shoots lights out in several 300 Savage rifles.

Any SAAMI reloading data for the 300 Savage is safe in a 99, period.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollins View Post
    Thanks guys. I will keep an eye out for the 130gr TTSX and read the pet load link.

I am confused about reducing 10 percent though. I have varget powder and the min listed for a 150 is 38 grns, and a max of 42.

So if I reduce the max by 10%, or 4.2 grains, it is below the mins.

My plan was to start at 38 grns varget and work up at half grain up to 40. And then narrow down from there in 10s of a grain.

Don't worry about it, start with the starting loads if that makes you comfortable, I always start between min and max.

Lots of over complicated posts here. It seems many folks enjoy complicating simple tasks. Rock on and have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast