Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Imr 4227 and HODGDON 4227 THE SAME POWDER.

Imr 4227 and HODGDON 4227 THE SAME POWDER.

Hey guys, can anyone tell me if IMR 4227 and HODGDON 4227 are the same powder.

Bob

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I expect not but do not know that to be a fact . Both are sold now by the same company so I would call them and ask that question , assuming you are referring to recently made batches of powder . Only they can really say for sure .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    Why not call Hodgdon and get definitive answer?
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Which Hodgdon powders are manufactured by ADI in Australia? The following table is a listing of the powders manufactured by ADI in Australia, marketed in the US by Hodgdon under Hodgdon brand labeling, and marketed in Australia and New Zealand under ADI brand labeling. Same powder, different packaging.
    This table supplied by ADI shows the ADI powders made by them in Australia and the ADI product name used in Australia and New Zealand, and the Hodgdon label for these powders in the US. (Source ADI).

could not get the ADI table to cut and paste but the info is there on the website. Hogdon markets the ADI range under Hogdon names H4227=AR 2205, H4198=AR2207, H4895=AR2206H, Varget = AR2208, H4350=AR2209 (this a partial listing only)

Boolit Master
    To the original question - I believe they are (or were) a little different?? IMI 4227 listed on some burn rate charts as maybe one level different than H4227?

Thanks guys for the replies. indian joe, it looks ADI is saying they do not make AR 2205 in AUS and how it is not compatible with H4227. I have uploaded the result of inquiries with both companies. As a result I don't know where we are. I will make further inq. with AClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ADI.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	269226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HODGDON.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	269227DI to establish where exactly ADI 2205 is made.

Bob

Afternoon troops. indian joe whilst ADI is saying it does not manufacture 2205, Hodgdon is saying the opposite. I think I will take the gamble and load up with the 2205 to the 4227 loads whilst working my way up gradually and see what the 38 WCF thinks of it all.

Any thoughts troops

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BobInAus View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies. indian joe, it looks ADI is saying they do not make AR 2205 in AUS and how it is not compatible with H4227. I have uploaded the result of inquiries with both companies. As a result I don't know where we are. I will make further inq. with AClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ADI.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	269226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HODGDON.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	269227DI to establish where exactly ADI 2205 is made.

Bob
    Bob Thanks for the update looks like I was on the Hogdon website rather than ADI ---curiouser and curiouser huh!

I snagged a couple cans of IMR 4227 several years ago which I am only using for duplex loading black in my 1886 (45/70) and also duplexing in my 1892 (38/40)

indian joe, how much IMR 4227 are you using in the duplex load for the 38WCF.

Thanks again
    Bob.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BobInAus View Post
    indian joe, how much IMR 4227 are you using in the duplex load for the 38WCF.

Thanks again
    Bob.
    using 5.25 grains - dont need that much - 3 grains would be adequate I think - rifle is a 92 we rebarreled - neat chamber and almost zero headspace . tops up with 29 grains FFFg
    (have not chronoed this load but I think its proly scootin along)

in my repro 1886 I use 6 grains 4227 and 64 grains FFFg - under a 335 grain lead gets me just on 1500fps - 45 thou HDPE wad - its an accurate load and would be effective hunting.

Boolit Master
    Bob - just looked at that can of IMR 4227 - a few years ago!!!!! yeah like about 30 - coulda swore I bought some not so long back - the newer stuff musta went to the powder goblin (son)