Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Warning Lightning Brass

Boolit Grand Master

Warning Lightning Brass

I got some Lightning cleaned and polished 45 acp brass from Grafs the other day and when I went to use it it was shiny but mixed. There was small pistol primer brass Large pistol military and crimped and some foreign brass that the LP primers would not seat all the way in. I ended up hand sorting and throwing over 1/2 away. Unfortunatly I started by dumping it in my own cleaned and polished brass and I am still occasionally running into a sp primer that ties up the progressive press.

Boolit Buddy
    Small primer 45 acp is the work of Satan.

Banned

Federal is now making the nickle 45acp in sp also.

The transition from large primer .38 special brass to small primer was less traumatic.

Thanks for the warning, KCSO. I agree that SPP .45 ACP brass is a dumb thing. And dbosman- how old are you, man?I’ve heard of LPP .38s and .357s- but have never encountered either in 50 years of shooting.

Boolit Master
    Well... I have very little large pistol primers but many thousands SPP.
    I'll take all of the SP 45ACP that I can get.

Boolit Master
    I just ran into some 10 mm auto brass- Blazer- that uses SP primers. I threw it into the recycle bucket.
    Loren

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    Yep. It works just fine. The .45 ACP isn't a big case, small primers work fine.

Boolit Grand Master

It isn't that the s p primer is bad but some warning is necessary if you use a progressive press. If I had even thought there were s p in ther I would have sorted first and as my press is set up for LP I would have discarded the sp. The inclusion of crimped in primers kinda stumped me as I thought we had used all of them up years ago.

Boolit Master
    When I started dealing with SP brass I got in the habit of looking at the head stamp before I placed in the shell holder, also helps to catch a .380 when loading 9 mm.

If you want to through away any .45 brass I will pay the postage .

Boolit Master

I just keep the SP brass in it's own bin. When i load them. I have a ammo box just for them. Didn't know they are now making 10mm i sp too now. I don't come across much 10mm on range pickups. But i'll keep that in mind for when i do. I have a story about 10mm too. It's one caliber i have never bought loaded ammo for. I have always loaded my own. When i ordered my 10mm 1911. I also ordered brass for it from starline.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    I just ran into some 10 mm auto brass- Blazer- that uses SP primers. I threw it into the recycle bucket.
    Loren
    Great, another one to worry about. 45 ACP should have been covered over a long time ago. It doesn’t need the large primer. I had sold off all my LP brass and had only SP on hand. At the time it was the only cartridge I needed LPP for. I then foolishly purchased 1K of new Starline brass and I’m in the same boat again. I now have a 10mm so I don’t feel bad stocking LPP. At least w/ that one all my brass is Starline so I don’t have to worry about checking.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    I am in the opposite condition. I have buckets of LP but down to my last box of SP. You all need to feel sorry for me! I am going to be stuck with only 45acp, 45colt, 41 magnum, 44-40, and 45 autorim to shoot. Oh, and 22 rimfire and 30 carbine in the Blackhawk. What is a poor boy to do with these shortages?
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    I am in the opposite condition. I have buckets of LP but down to my last box of SP. You all need to feel sorry for me! I am going to be stuck with only 45acp, 45colt, 41 magnum, 44-40, and 45 autorim to shoot. Oh, and 22 rimfire and 30 carbine in the Blackhawk. What is a poor boy to do with these shortages?
    After this shortage is over. Stock deep at least you have supplies in the others to keep shooting.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

I like the 45 lpp as that is what it was and like my 45 colt , I sort spp into a box for if it is needed , I agree if it had been switched years ago it would not be a issue , it is what it is .

Boolit Buddy
    A bizarre point of trivia I learned is that .45acp was originally made in small pistol primer and was changed to large primer later.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I feel your pain KSCO
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!