WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Lyman 457122 HP plug?

Lyman 457122 HP plug?

I have a 457122 HP Gould mold complete with the HP pin. Casts great 330gr HPs for the 45/70. What I'd like to do is have a second Plug cut to provide the same boolit as a Solid. Does anyone know where I can buy either a plug that's already cut, or a second HP plug that I can cut/reshape for my needs?

I've tried to find parts using a search engine but didn't come up with anything.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I have made them with brass rod, a file, and a poor man’s lathe (electric drill).
    Tony

Boolit Master
    You can get a spare pin from lyman but you'll have to send the mold back to have it fitted.[runs about 30 bucks] Then you can cut the pin to the correct length for a flat point. Also Arsenal mounds makes a copy of the gould mold that's a flat point. 460-330

Thanx guys....I'm a do it yourselfer so I'll try the brass rod idea first...It doesn't sound to hard. I've got a drill press that I use as a "vertical" lathe every now and then. I just reduced some #8-32 screw heads for a Lyman mold (handle screws) today on it....I can certainly turn some brass rod to make it fit like a glove in the old 457122.

Appreciated.

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Cast Boolits Owner

I think I would find a drill bit that is the same diameter as the existing pin then use that as my starting point. Use that bit to drill through a "stop" that can be slid up the drill bit and secured with a set screw to provide a positive stop which locates the end of the pin in the proper place inside the mould. Once you have it fitted the handle can be as simple as a thread spool.

You did say you were a do it yourself kind of guy with a drill press!
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    I think I would find a drill bit that is the same diameter as the existing pin then use that as my starting point. Use that bit to drill through a "stop" that can be slid up the drill bit and secured with a set screw to provide a positive stop which locates the end of the pin in the proper place inside the mould. Once you have it fitted the handle can be as simple as a thread spool.

You did say you were a do it yourself kind of guy with a drill press!
    I must be getting dense in my old age....This is a great idea....and I have all the parts. I have a really cheap set of numbered drill bits from Harbor Freight that I got for a few bucks a while back. (one of those "almost" free deals sitting on the table out front) While they work good for small wooden projects they produce pretty lousy holes in steel. (I did said cheap...right?) The right size should be easy to find and a collar with a set screw I likely already have from another cheap set of counter sink bits. (again...harbor freight cheapos)

Now...I can make a proper handle...I do have a wood lathe so turning a nice knob won't be hard either.

Again...appreciated.

redhawk

Cast Boolits Owner

Don't you just hate overthinking the simple stuff?
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Don't you just hate overthinking the simple stuff?

Ahhhhh....the story of my life....I over analyze EVERYTHING....but the simple stuff...slips right through the cracks....hahaha

redhawk