RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
PBcastcoWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Remington 514

Banned

Remington 514

Single shot. I took it to the range yesterday for some fresh air and plinking fun. Fun, not so much as the bolt is very hard to cycle and close the handle.
    And the fine sights are too much even for my eyes and optical glasses.
    I went to the local gunshop afterwards to look at a 514 they have on the rack and discovered mine has had the bolt disassembled and reassembled with the safety upside down.

Has anyone worked on these bolts?

On the positive side a NIB original Bonanza, Fairbault MN set of 30-06 Benchrest dies followed me home. These are very well made and with a nice design that puts the expander plug at the top of the decap rod, I will be looking for a set in 308 and other calibers.

Ken

Banned
    I solved the problem, or at least I understand it better. This has nothing to do with an upside down safety, it's still upside down and I don't need on on a single shot plinker.

It has everything to do with the trigger spring. Once I got the bolt out of the receiver I noticed what looked like a pin or maybe a ball bearing in the receiver, it was on top of the trigger spring. The trigger is heavy, about 8 pounds, all because of the spring. Digging around in old parts boxes I found a Super Redhawk main spring that I could make a replacement with. Got it cut to length and installed. Pull weight dropped 2/3 pounds. I lost my trigger pull scale. It also put less pressure on the ball bearing that pushes up on the bolt body forcing it to bind in the receiver. The fully compressed spring also serves as the trigger over travel stop. I think I can take another coil off the spring and polish the sear face on the trigger to get a decent 4/5 pound pull.

I am not sure why there is a ball bearing in the receiver, though I left it in. No idea what it does except maybe add pressure to the bolt in an attempt to make it feel smoother in movement.

Ken

Boolit Buddy
    yes they are fun little guns. I have one I got from my dad. Never put a lot into it and have not shot it no where near as much as I should, but it is a nice little gun
    glad you got your trigger pull worked out. 8 pounds is way to o much for that gun

Boolit Master

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...rifles-rem/514

#4- Bolt detent ball

If the spring contacted the bolt, it would really drag and quickly jam.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Bub
    My first rifle, got it in 1958. Have had a total of three over the years. Great single shot from back in the day.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had two at one time.
    Both shot really well.
    I'm hoping to add a peep sight to the rear, with a globe up front.
    I think I have the sights, just haven't worked on it yet.

What is the difference between the 510 and 514????

Boolit Master

The Bolt Detent Ball prevents the Bolt from being removed from the action without first pulling the trigger. I love my 514!!

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I had two at one time.
    Both shot really well.
    I'm hoping to add a peep sight to the rear, with a globe up front.
    I think I have the sights, just haven't worked on it yet.

Judging from pictures posted online, the rear of the bolt and the safety mechanism are significantly different.
    I have never handled a 514 that I am aware of.

Banned

Around here about $350 in asking price. 514 is expensive. Otherwise it looks like a different action/bolt. And it's still a single shot.

The 514 was Remingtons low cost entry level .22 single shot rifle. It has an aluminum bolt shroud/ safety while the 510 single shot bolt is all steel. Both are quite accurate. The 514 was made up till around the introduction of the 580 series .22 rifles.

Boolit Master

I'll be darned, I thought that safety on the 510 was Bakelite or some form of plastic.

Banned
    I have a 514 that I have worked on a lot. Replaced the bolt took everything apart many times.
    The 514 was about the cheapest 22lr made back in the day. Nothing compared to a 510, 511 or a 513 from what I know.
    They are about as simple as a bolt action can get. But as long as they are in tolerance they shoot well.

Boolit Buddy
    Need to replace the extractor on mine.

Also discovered that they make different style trigger guards, when I replaced the missing one.

Geoff in Oregon

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Late Bradford Angier favored the Remington 514 as an ideal wilderness survival rifle, if you were only looking at poaching deer or shooting small game for the pot and not being engaged in firefights with space aliens or zombies...

Myself I have my grandfather's Remington Model 34, tube magazine, takedown .22 LR which is accurate and reliable. Paired with a 6-7/8" High Standard Model B I am confident. Of course I still keep Dad's 6" barrel .38 Special S&W and an H&R .410 single-barrel around.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post
    Need to replace the extractor on mine.

Also discovered that they make different style trigger guards, when I replaced the missing one.

Geoff in Oregon
    I will look around and see if I have an extra one. As I recall all that stuff is available on eBay.