Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
PBcastco Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Powder Target Riffle Assoc Creedmoor National Championships 3-day weekend

Chill, I think you will down the line.
    The PP is just starting to get a bite in the last few years and most still haven't spent enough time figuring out what it takes to get the most from them.
    Getting the diameter, alloy, and most important getting a proper seal holding the gas behind the bullet so the verticals are held down. This can be worked out more with a patched bullet to groove diameter than a bore diameter. The groove diameter will react more like a GG but the advantage the patched bullet has is holding down the lead smears that destroys the accuracy.
    Then some get the patched diameter to large and have to use a lot of pressure seating the round in the chamber and this spikes the verticals by compressing a load more when using a minimal compressed powder load and the other side is a bullet patched too far under bore with a very hard alloy that will show signs of gas cutting along with dirt diggers.

I think you can find some just local and regional match shooters that are capable of holding their own at the international matches it they would just join in.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    As far as I know, Eddie,Kenny and myself were shooting patched. Eddie was shooting a relatively new to him rifle that he had just put new sights on, so sight settings were a work in progress. I was shooting my new Shiloh 77, and when the match was over I've put about 300 rounds thru it, all but 15 maybe 20 have been fired in competition. Kenny was shooting his Dora rifle, 24 lb 45 2 7/8.
    I will say that once that rifle and me get used to one another I think it will do well. I am very happy that for the first time I shot the 900 yard target clean, and did it both days.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I will say that once that rifle and me get used to one another I think it will do well. I am very happy that for the first time I shot the 900 yard target clean, and did it both days.
    Byers is a tough range most days. Shooting a clean 900yds target at Byers (no missing the target - not all X's) is cause for celebration. I am sure it feels good. I have 50 to 60 creedmoor match days in there at the Byers range, and I can count on the fingers of one hand when I have shot the whole day clean. That in its self is a victory.
    Chill Wills

The conditions friday and saturday were about the mildest I've ever seen in the last 7 or 8 years I've shot a match there. I was really happy with the performance the rifle turned in, I had no settings for 8-9 or 1000 when we started, but was able to quickly extrapolate some once that first 800 relay got over.
    This 77 needs a real solid grip on the wrist, and the sticks need to be quite a bit lower than my 74's or hi walls. I think it may be a great rifle for shooting off a wrist rest. Maybe if mother nature see's fit to give us some moisture, I'll get a chance to get out on my range and do some of that 8 letter p word with it, before loading ammo and heading to Phoenix. I need about another 75 rounds thru it to have enough fired cases to shoot that match.
    I have also replaced the long range sight with a midrange, as even in the worst of that head wind in the first relay on Sunday I was only up about 17 points on the staff from the previous two days.

Vendor Sponsor

Kurt, I pretty much agree and feel the same way as you write above. The same was said 20 or more years ago, that sooner of later someone would emerge and then several someones will. Still waiting.
    For the nine years I put on the American Creedmoor Cup I offered an award Cup for the high paperpatch creedmoor score just to promote the use of PP bullets.

I got my first PP bullet mold from Tom Ballard in the late 1980's and have worked on the PP bullet game since. I have a dedicated PP chambered rifle and used PP bullets in conventional chambered rifles. The best I could do with them was almost as good as my GG shooting, but with more work at the line when I needed to be paying attention to conditions, rifleman skills and shooting. In short, I found the extra work a distraction to making best possible scores.

PP bullets were my preferred bullet in the Gibbs muzzle loader. It took no extra effort in the off-line loading and was therefor better due to the non-leading issue.
    I had Paul Jones make a two diameter bullet for PP in 2002 or '03. It is for a 45 cal rifle. I am interested in a 40 cal for DD PP and may have one made to shoot in the 13 twist 40-70 Sharps Straight. ...still thinking about what that bullet might be designed like.

I wonder who else besides the three Wyoming boys shot PP bullets in this championship?
    Chill Wills

Well you just might have 4 next season if the timing works out. I been wanting to shoot your match for several years.
    Looked for your range twice once coming back from Arizona and just last year when I took the cookie munchers to Co. They wanted to see the mountains.

Kurt the Colorado rifle club is 9 miles east and 9 miles north of Byers, or about 25 miles south of Wiggins. Michaels watkins range is about 2 miles straight south of Watkins co.

I was too far East. When we left Colorado Springs I went east of 25 I don't remember the Rt. # but I remember going through Kiowa heading north and went to Bryers turned east and turned north at Last Chance.

When you got off on 36 at Byers, you were almost there, needed to turn north on the Rector/Leader road.

I should have stopped and ask.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123