Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder Target Riffle Assoc Creedmoor National Championships 3-day weekend

Thanks Chill for your time and efforts to report and post results.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Vendor Sponsor

In the other classes below on the scoreboard you may see some names known to this forum.
    On a personal note, I will point out that it came as a big surprise to me that I ended up winning 2nd Master class due to the better showing in the high winds of today's match.
    Here is a picture of the match winner Dave Gullo and shooting partner John Venhaus. And a second picture myself receiving the 2nd place master award.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resizedDSCN2246.jpg   resizedDSCN2245.jpg  
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 09-29-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    Chill Wills

Vendor Sponsor

BTW - did I mention this 1000yd game is all shot with cast bullets?

Also- I did not proof read the above post. I will get to it tomorrow. Good night.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    BTW - did I mention this 1000yd game is all shot with cast bullets?

Also- I did not proof read the above post. I will get to it tomorrow. Good night.
    I do miss the matches at Raton but health and age do catch up. Glad to see the hard work that Robert and the other boys do to put this match on. Maybe next year???

Vendor Sponsor

Here is a picture of the typical set-up on the firing line with a rifleman and scorekeeper. The scorekeeper can also coach the rifleman and up off the ground often has a good view of the range conditions. There is also a class known to international matches where the rifleman is completely on their own. In other words, no coaching allowed. This type shooting (no coaching) was shot once a year at the American Creedmoor Cup in AZ for almost ten years and is being carried on at Lodi, Wisconsin. A no coaching match makes a demanding match extra hard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails resizedTEXTDSCN2227.jpg  
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 09-30-2020 at 12:36 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for posting this!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Here is a picture of the typical set-up in the line with a rifleman and scorekeeper. The scorekeeper can also coach the rifleman and up off the ground often has a good view of the range conditions. There is also a class known to international matches where the rifleman is completely on their own. In other words, no coaching allowed. This type shooting (no coaching) was shot once a year at the American Creedmoor Cup in AZ for almost ten years and is being carried on at Lodi, Wisconsin. A no coaching match makes a demanding match extra hard.
    It's also done there in Byers, under the High Plains Money match moniker, and is a part of the matches in Phoenix during the big shootlpalooza they do there in March. I like the Cup style matches a whole bunch, it's quite a challenge and tons of fun.
    Good write up Michael.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Vendor Sponsor

Some of you might be interested in how the target is scored in the pits and the information is received at the firing line.

The 6 foot by 6 foot target is in a frame that moves up and down. Up and above the safe pit the target looks like it is sitting just above the ground. Pulled down and it is available to be seen by the pit crew and marked.

At the start of the relay the target is clean, meaning no holes or all holes patched with either black or white tape patch.
    The first shot comes through the target and the pit crew lowers target, finds the hole, places the shot location marker dowel into the bullet hole with the contrasting (either black or white) side facing the shooter.
    At the same time the shot location (bullet hole) is found, its value is marked with the shot value disk.(red disk) In the picture, in clockwise descending order you can see the locations of the "X" value starting at 3 O'clock and moving down is the 10, the 9 is at the center bottom, the 8 value is in the lower left, 7 is at the 9 O'clock and then the lowly 6 is marked in the same hole as the "X". You have to understand that if your shot location disk is not in the very center of the target, but rather in the area outside of the largest circle, that is a "6", ...not an X.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-09-28resizedTEXTDSCN2207.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	268521

Back at the firing line, through the scope, the shot location and value will be seen when the target is raised.

For all the shots to come after the first, the procedure is the same with this addition. The new hole is found, the shot disk is removed from the old hole and patched with either a black or white paster.

Note, the shot location disk is reversible - black on one side and white on the other. Always plug it into the bullet hole with the contrasting side showing.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 09-30-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    Chill Wills

Here's a link to the official final score in tabular form
    https://bptra.org/match-scores

Boolit Master
    I would love to try it sometime used to shoot buffalo matches things like that but I always wanted to get way out there and try the longshots.

It's challenging, it's frustrating, and it's fun, definitely recommend everyone try it at least once.

Boolit Master

I've never done it, but it looks like fun. Thanks for the explanation.

Boolit Master

These guys are shooters... I have only tried that game a time or 2, never had my own rifle and never put in the time to get good. Not exactly common in the area I live. We do have the NMLRA matches at Friendship and I love to go watch those matches. The under hammer bench rifles are really cool! These guys get my respect, 1000 yards with a gun shooting black and all of the cleaning and maintenance issues associated with them and in the high plains with ungodly wind and eleveations. I have shot a couple of 880 yard matches with my 6mmx284 and that is more than difficult in the the wind and mirage with high power optics. BP guns have always fascinated me, but until I live where I can shoot like that and until I can learn from someone... I am going to pass.

Thanks for your work in covering this event, I enjoyed the reports.

Matt, they also shoot long range at the Winnequah gun club in Lodi Wisconsin, Harris Minnesota, and at Camp Grayling Michigan.

Matt, you can always come up and shoot with me. https://www.tcgc.net/ club is more pistol oriented than rifle but there are a few of us that make smoke. The cowboys have monthly shoots and they are a fair sized bunch.

If you would like to get familiar with the sharps or other falling block rifles I have enough for you to use.
    Also I will start shooting at Friendship next season so come and join me and shoot their silhouette match. I will bring the rifle and ammo and other equipment you can use.

But I will warn you, it's habit forming
    Then there are the gong shoots also out west mostly like at Alliance Neb, the Quigley at Forsyth Mt. this is the largest with 600 plus competitors that come from almost every state and international, The Big Hill shoot at Baker MT. This is the most scenic range and growing attendance every year.

For us and more for your area the silhouette matches like at Friendship, Effingham, Alma MI and the long range matches in the spring and fall at Lodi WI and Harris MN, Camp Atterbury, located in south-central Indiana, about 4 miles west of Edinburgh, Indiana,

Kurt
    Last edited by Lead pot; 09-30-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Here (I hope) is a copy of the top three rifleman's load data and equipment. I will try to find more examples because there is so much variation in what is used to good effect. Notice the three case lengths used. 45-100 (2"-6/10ths), 45-90 (2"-4/10ths) and our steady friend the 45-70 Govt. You don't need a big cartridge to play. Shoot what you have to get started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BPTRtop3Capture.jpg  
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 09-30-2020 at 12:49 PM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Thanks for your work in getting us this writeup Chill. Very informative! I can see that my level of shooting wouldn't get me much of a score on those targets -- I'd be feeling good when I collected a "6"!

I waited waaay too long to get into the BPCR game but have been trying my hand (and eye!) at it for the past couple years. Us Central Oregon boys do a monthly (fourth weekend) shoot at the COSSA range east of Bend. Steel Buffalo gong targets out to 1000 yards with a 1200 yarder that we throw in once or twice a year.

Boolit Buddy
    Matt, Lead pot is spot on. You are right in the middle of lots of shooting within a fairly easy drive for you. Plus you can be in Eastern KY or GA with a hard days ride. Step out of the shadows and give it a try. Those of us that are addicted don't mind a little traveling.

Vendor Sponsor

I would like to see someone win one of these with a paperpatch bullet sometime. I'm not talking about a local match win, but a match with the countries best Creedmoor riflemen in attendance. I know it is going to happen. It is just a mater of time. I think the double diameter concept has great possibilities. Double Diameter PP may be the best of both worlds. With the DD PP bullet, the alloy makeup may not be as critical. With the bore diameter bullets, the alloy needs to be right on.

I want to check the standings of this match to see who used PP bullets and who placed highest with them.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    Matt, Lead pot is spot on. You are right in the middle of lots of shooting within a fairly easy drive for you. Plus you can be in Eastern KY or GA with a hard days ride. Step out of the shadows and give it a try. Those of us that are addicted don't mind a little traveling.
    I would love to, used to travel for smokeless bench shoots, IPSC and IDPA before the kids. They are 13 and 17 now, I can retire this year and the stars are starting to align. I only have 2 BP guns, my modern inline for deer and a Shiloh Sharps paper cartridge gun that I have never fired. Watching the BP bench guys as Friendship has always been something I have enjoyed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast