MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: .357 Sig and 161 gr bullets

Boolit Mold

.357 Sig and 161 gr bullets

Has anyone personally loaded heavy cast bullets for .357 Sig? I have some Lyman 358156 gas check bullets sized to .355, and would like to try them in a .357 Sig handgun. The bullets actually weigh out at 161 gr. There is load data on 147 gr bullets but I can’t find data for the heavier bullet.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Boolit Master

Wow, where to start? Can it be done? Most definitely, but I would start by measuring case capacity with a known substance like water. Comparing the case volume of a 357 SIG and Magnum would be a starting point. Still, a heavier boolit would have to seat deeper taking up case volume. I personally would stick with the 125 RF because we know that works. Shooting the heavier boolit might be limited to 38+P performance. I'm happy with my 125 loads which went 1325 fps, as compared to factory at 1350 fps.

I have read where it has been done but I can't remember where I read that. I know that the 357 Bobcat (45 ACP necked down) like the 41 Avenger, were limited by the strength of the case head. Dean Grennel did some work in 1988 using 45 Magnum cases trimmed to ACP specs. This led to the 45 Super which gathered some interest back then. Dean's series of articles on the project almost got me to bite, almost. I did do some of the mods like heavier springs and a Bar-Sto barrel, I just didn't invest it the brass.

Hopefully someone will chime in with their thoughts and personal experience in this subject.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

I was hoping the Lyman 50th Anniversary Reloading Handbook would have something ...
    They had the 357 SIG and data for 6 J-word bullets from 95 grains to 147 grains ...which was nice but not one load for any cast boolits ...I find that strange

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition ...nothing , no 357 SIG section at all .

I struck out ... maybe someone else has something .

I did once load this boolit in some 9mm Luger loads ... and get them to function in a Walther P38 pistol but the boolit has to be deep seated and not much room is left in the case for powder .
    I tried it because I had the mould and at the time ...it seemed like a good idea .

The 160 gr. SWC is just too long for the 9mm Luger but the 357 SIG might work ...in spite of that short neck it has .

Good Luck,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

357 SIG 180 Gr Hardcast. It can be done.

https://doubletapammo.com/collection...-solid-a-20rds

Boolit Master

I have a few test loads using a ol LEE 162g swc. That small nose makes it work. Well feed! I have t shot yet.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw