MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Looking for advice for a mold 452, 357 and 308.

Boolit Buddy

Looking for advice for a mold 452, 357 and 308.

So looking to get back into casting been about 5 or 6 years since I had the room to do it but now I do. So I'm thinking of picking up a few molds so looking for advice.

First a little on what they are going to be used for all these molds are going to be for hogs so they are going to be hard cast. Other then that if I get mold with HP they will be used as practice rounds.

First, one I'm looking for is a 452 or 453 255gr if it has HP great if not that's fine might as well look for both it's got to be shot from a SIG P320 until I'm able to buy a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 LC.

Next is the 357 not sure how heavy or light I should go with this and looking for advice on that. This is going to be my wife's wheel gun she is going to need practice as she is not as proficient with a firearm as I'm but feels that the reflex sight well help as she got a lot better with the AR-15 with the red dot. So a good weight that can be used in 357/38spl.

The last one is 308 I'm wanting a light around 110-115 gr if you have advice and feel I'd go heavy I'd like to hear that. It's going to be shot from my 7.5 300 BLK and 16 inches barreled 300blk mostly the pistol one as it's a lot easier to carry around the property than the 16 when you're doing chores.

Thanks for the advice and help!

Boolit Master

Well, your not asking much! Seriously, I shoot all of those, and like everyone, we all have our own opinions. One at a time?

45 Colt, hard to beat the Lee 452-255 RF, hard to beat a RSBH. Mine is an Old Model Vaquero so still SBH frame. I have a bunch of 45 molds, having started with 45 ACP and collected a few molds on the way, starting with Lee 452-228 1R. Dad has an 1898 Colt in 45, and is pretty much a black powder only safe queen. I loaded his some BP loads way back when, using the RN boolit.

I bought my first mold for a 9mm, Lee 356-125 2R that actually casts fat, .358, which my 9mms all shoot well. When I got a .357, I started loading the RN for it. Banging steel, rolling tin cans, didn't matter that is was a RN. Along the way, I of course collected more molds. My 2 favorites for 38/357 are the Lee 358-125 RF and the 358-158 RF. The 125 is the same profile as .357 SIG factory. I got into that because I had picked up so much range brass it was time to get a drop-in barrel for my G22. I load the 125 for 38s, the 158 for mid level magnums.

300 BO, I originally bought the Lee C312-155 2R which worked, that is until I started powder coating. The boolit became too fat to feed/cycle so I bought an NOE C310-150 SP 3R which the BO loves! that and 3 different .308 rifles that somehow appeared in the safe. The NOE was worth every penny, very high quality, very good service. I built a 16" carbine, and also a 10" pistol. The velocity drop from 16 to 10 was negligible, your 7.5" will drop more due to the shorter gas system. Still, a 150 pill going 1950-2000 fps is potent, something on the order of a .357 mag. Yes, I bought the 310-230 5R for subs, but can be run at higher velocity. Hits like a hammer a 100 yards.

Favorite plinking AR is 9mm, cheap to shoot and chugging along at 1350 fps with a 125 grain boolit. Favorite obnoxious AR pistol is a 7.5" 5.56/.223, downloaded to 2250 fps for cast boolits is still loud . . . but I like it! I know, you didn't ask about , but hey.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

357 magnum / 38 special = Lyman #358156(GC) or equal by NOE

If you could only have one mould , to cover 357 magnum , 38 special +P and 38 Special in rifle and revolver ... this would be the one .
    NOE makes a mould that will cast solid points and hollow points ... it's a winner .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"