RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Rollingblock

Boolit Man

Remington Rollingblock

I know nothing about these rifles but they interest me and I've been thinking of picking one up. If someone wants to school me on them that'd be great. I'd like to know when I'm looking at them what to look for so I don't end up with a piece of junk that I can't shoot. Seems like there is lots of different models of them and condition and price is all over the place. I've found one I'm going to look at this weekend. Its listed as Remington Model 1867 Rolling Block Navy Rifle, 50-40 cal. In the pictures it looks to me like its been refinished, almost looks like parkerizing to me. Since I'm looking for a shooter and not a collection piece, something to plink and play with I'm not worried about it being refinished just would prefer a more traditional finish. I know the subject and my question on these rifles is probably to broad for anyone to answer in any detail but what ever you feel like sharing with me, feel free. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8e92ab4c3f4f5d418759ed11e2b46d97.jpg   1c097b1a967dd94f8963497b300e878c.jpg   94340354796db64b90974c7a9118c2b5.jpg  

Boolit Master

I have several, to me the best ones are the Argentina 1871 and the Danish 1867.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Looks like somebody wiped it down with navel jelly. The finish should be in the white or tin plated if its a u.s. marked navy model. It will be a great plinker but you will have to make the brass for it which is a simple process.

Boolit Man
    Here's a shot of the Tang, wondering what a fair price would be for something like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b1d7bfb8d44fc9499dd636b0d3c3709e.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I see a box of ammo in the first pic, I would try to include brass, dies and any ammo in the deal.

Boolit Man
    All I've seen of the rifle is the pictures I'm sharing on here. I could care less if it was Navy or not, I'm just looking for a good shooter and I'm being told its probably assembled from parts which would be fine to as long as its mechanically sound, also it wouldn't bother me to maybe have it rebarreled down the road with something easier to find and shoot, if that's feasible. I wouldn't want to mess with something that was original and would harm its worth. Being Retired Army myself if its got navy anywhere on it makes it worth less in my book anyway!!! I was going to go Saturday and look at it, the current asking price on it is $700 and it says it has 38 rounds to go with it that are pictured.

Boolit Buddy
    At $700 it seems you would be paying something toward collector value, but the finish would put off many collectors. Assuming it is mechanically sound and has a nice bore it should be a nice plinker, but you need to be ready to reload. The hammer should cock crisply and it should have a half-cock notch that holds against trigger pull and definitely not a hair trigger. The breechblock and hammer should rotate smoothly and have no wobble or sloppiness. The forend should not have any movement fore-and-aft (naval terms for a naval carbine?). Check the buttstock for cracks, especially at the receiver. The tang stamping looks good, which makes one wonder why it was refinished--it would be worth looking under the forearm if you can to see if there is pitting--that doesn't necessarily affect shootability, but could further reduce resale value--maybe the seller knows why the refinish. Does the rear sight fit well--the photo looks like maybe not--that could also lessen value. Some rolling blocks give your finger a "trigger slap" when you drop the hammer, which I personally find annoying--I don't know exactly why, but it seems to come with guns that have been altered or parted up. If you can dry fire it, perhaps using one of the fired cases as a snap cap, you might check for that. Many/most military rolling blocks have witness marks between barrel and receiver--if this one does, see if they are aligned, because that could reveal if it has been rebarreled. Assuming it all checks out I would expect to pay something much closer to $500, with the ammo, dies, etc. maybe included or adding a little. But ultimately you should pay what you feel it is worth to you. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    If all you want is a shooter (and nothing wrong with that!) then check out and keep an eye on Simpsons LTD. They have a few rollers listed now (been picked over) and get them in often. Some nice ones at what I think are reasonable prices. Most are 8mm or 12.7's i.e. 50 cals. You have to reload for the rifle you are looking at would have to reload for the Swedish 50's as well. Antiques so they ship directly to you. The Swedish rifles are either Remington 1867's or based on that pattern. Just my opinion.

Rollers are a big subject, as Remington made so many of them in different configurations and calibers, and some were produced by other countries like Sweden. Their strength is their simplicity, and parts seldom break. Looking at your photos, I would be reluctant to pay $700 for it and as noted above by RustyReel, $500 would be more in line if everything is in good shape besides the refinish. Since you just want a shooter (good shooter) maybe the refinish is a plus. You'd definitely want a good bore, not always easy to find as many of these were black powder and neglected. If you have to rebarrel your cost goes way up. The legibility of the inscription on the tang is a good sign, as they weren't stamped very deeply and sometimes are worn smooth from handling. Mine is an 1871 Argentine carbine in .43 Spanish. There were many made in 7x57mm Mauser for S. Amercia, but many of them seem to have bad head space. Exactly why this is the case is open for speculation, but some say that the specs for the cartridge changed from when they were made. Just something to be aware of, and it doesn't apply to all of them.

Boolit Master
    Now that I'm home with a computer and not a phone I can see its a good chance its a parts gun. looking like it might have been built on a number 1 1/2 action rather than a number 1 action. The wood has been refinished on the forend the hammer,breech block,& trigger have been matte blued and the rest of the metal has either been wiped down with navel jelly brand rust remover or poorly reblued with cold blue If its cold blue it will have a strong smell to it if not cured properly. A real navy issue will have inspectors marks on the wood and metal including an anchor mark, a front sling swivel,the extractor will be at the 6 o'clock position in the breech and the last patent date should be 1865. The original finish on most military remington's was called armory bright which is no finish at all just a buffing of the metal and some navel models were tin plated to help resist salt air corrosion. I have a feeling if you look at the tip and bottom of the forend you might find a filled in groove were the ramrod channel was filled in when they cut down a rifle length stock to fit a carbine. I don't want to say fake but it is definitely misrepresented. If its done right it will be a fun shooter but I wouldn't put more than 450 in it.

Boolit Man
    Thanks guys that's why I was asking as I have no ldeal what these things run price wise or really what to look for. I looked through Simsons LTD and there are so many and prices all over the place and all different calibers that I'm not familiar with so I guess I'll just hold off on getting one for now. Thanks again.
    Chris

Boolit Buddy
    Look up Allan,s Armory, He has swedish rolling blocks for sale. With pictures of rifles.
    Nothing over $500.00. Good to deal with.

Boolit Master

Many of the military RB carbines are chambered for larger cartridges that can be brutal in a light carbine. The .50-45 is much more pleasant to shoot. I think you saw my video I posted on the other forum. You can see the recoil is pretty mild. That makes these little carbines a joy to shoot. .50-45 is easy to make by cutting down readily available .50-70 brass. Here is the cartridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200831_182814.jpg  

Boolit Man
    Thanks Webfoot10, those sporters are more inline with what I was wanting anyway. I like the looks of those. I'd really like a sporter styled one in 45-70 with a tapered octagon barrel but I guess that's something I'd have to have put together. Was watching a Youtube video of Hickock45 shooting one.

It's too messed with to sell for $700, even if it's got a great bore. I think the $500-$600 range is more appropriate.

Boolit Master
    The earliest model I would buy is the 1897. I much prefer the smokeless powder models made after 1901. If you can find one that is marked UMC on the tang, it was made after 1910. All may look the same but big improvements were being made in steel at that time. I mostly shoot smokeless powder in mine and I just feel better with the extra protection from that explosion going off right next to my face.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    The earliest model I would buy is the 1897. I much prefer the smokeless powder models made after 1901. If you can find one that is marked UMC on the tang, it was made after 1910. All may look the same but big improvements were being made in steel at that time. I mostly shoot smokeless powder in mine and I just feel better with the extra protection from that explosion going off right next to my face.
    I've shot nothing but smokeless in mine for decades, and mine are all early black powder Rolling Blocks. If you keep in mind these early actions are limited to 28k load levels, you wont have any trouble. People having trouble are hotrodding these old guns, not people who take care loading for them.

Boolit Master

I agree. I've been shooting #1, #2 and #4 rolling blocks for over 30 years. With sensible loads that do not exceed original black powder pressures and ballistics, they are fine. Certainly the late #5s have better steel for higher pressure smokeless cartridges. But the older ones are fine when loaded appropriately.

Boolit Man
    #1 Egyptian action, was .43 Egyptian, now a .45/70 barrel. 13 pounds of fun.
    I have shot everything in it from Pyrodex, to black powder, to some maybe too hot 3031 loads.
    It hasn't whimpered yet.
    I do check it a lot for cracks and stretching, but so far all is good. These old actions are pretty stout if you can get them tight enough to begin with. Having said that, my favorite was a Mexican smokeless action in 7X57. That was a sweet shooter!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003 (6).jpg  
    Pay no attention to the mess in my shop. My best work comes from chaos!

When building up an old Rolling Block, the first thing that needs to be checked is the pins for hammer and breech block. Make sure they're a close fit, and replace if they aren't. Next thing is to check the breech block face to ensure it's square to the bore! I've seen more than one that was about .005" slanted, and if rebarreled and fired this way it will bend the rims every shot. Then the fire formed brass wont rechamber unless you turn it to the same index as it was when it got deformed.
    I check them for square, and set them up in my mill to slightly correct the face with a thin cut. Most the time this cut takes about that .005" on the lower edge of the face, and nothing towards the top of the face. You'll have a better rifle, and a more accurate rifle also.
    After that the rest of a Rolling Block build is very straight forward, like any old single shot rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast