Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Sorting?

Boolit Buddy

Weight Sorting?

Casting .25 caliber boolits using NOE 89 g plain base mold.
    What range is recommended for weight sorting 1 g? more/less?
    Thanks!
    Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    that depends on how fussy you are in your handloads
    I am not fussy at all and typically don't weigh my boolits
    I have in the past and I don't recall it making much of a difference
    your mileage may vary however and if you feel it's worth the effort give it a try
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Pistol or rifle? Target or general plinking? Use case matters quite a bit. In general the lighter the bullet the less weight variance to strive for. 1 grain difference for an 89 grain bullet is a higher percentage than a 500 grain bullet.

Personally I weight sort for hunting bullets. Everything else as long as the base is good and there are no major deformities they’re considered good to load.

Boolit Buddy

Rifle 25-20 target and hunting

Boolit Grand Master

I don’t own a 25 caliber but I will assume it’s close to 22 caliber which means a pain. The less weight variation the better. 1 grain is 1.1% difference. So you’d be sorting to +-0.5 grains from a median. If you have a digital scale you can weigh them quickly to find out what weight you cast the most of and sort from there.

Boolit Master
    The smaller you want your groups the better you sort

When I am 'really serious' about groups (<MOA and longer range) I will sort to 0.1gn of the heaviest bullets of the batch and only pick bullets that look perfect.

Most of the time 0.5gn is good enough and (very) slight surface defects are ok. (slightly over MOA, 100-200yd).

Boolit Master

A waste of time from my experiences weighing a lot of approximately 2,000 .22 cast bullets one winter. Not worth it. Think I picked up 1/8" off my "match", selected bullets weight in .1 grain increments.
    You'll do better with careful sorting and ruthless culling for any flaws.
    Internal voids, unfortunately, are inherent in 95% of the bullets we cast so there goes the weight theory.
    Just my opinion and from my experience./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    What level accuracy and range are you shooting at?

Moderator Emeritus

Like MBTcustom (Tim) posted about some time ago, It's good practice for someone new to casting Rifle boolits to weight sort a few batches, and even make a graph representation (whether on paper or just using the boolits on the bench). Once you see what variance you get, you may be able to surmise what went wrong during casting. Usually it's the lack of uniform rhythm of casting cadence. That's the main thing I learned from that practice. So, when I am casting Rifle boolits, I now will dump the drops in different piles, until I get to that uniform rhythm and get the boolit uniformity of "look" that I desire, and I remelt everything I dropped prior to that point...but everything afterward will still get a thorough visual sort.
    Thats my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

50 -60 yds wanting 1" or less
    Hunting fox & grey squirrels

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohiochuck View Post
    50 -60 yds wanting 1" or less
    Hunting fox & grey squirrels
    Given that criteria then I also suggest just scrupulously inspect and reject any with any visual imperfection. I do weight sort my 30/31 cal cast bullets for match and HV shooting. However, in my 25-20 Savage M23 I just sort as suggested and easily get 1" and less at 50 yards and 1.5" usually at 100 yards.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

I have weighed some of my cast bullets, but not for "accuracy" measures. I was looking for consistencies, how casting temps, mold temps, and a bit of alloy differences affected weight. Found some variations, but nothing "earth shattering" and the info has helped my boolits...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Yep, at that range I'd just do visual and not even be too picky about that. Biggest thing is nice square base.

Boolit Grand Master

Smaller the case the less a variance I ask for except if they are plinking then as long as they fit is fine with me. For hunting squirrels which is not a big target and considering the size I'd go for 2gr or so I think. More important would be the powder weight and it's variance.
    Anyone care to comment on powder vs boolit weight variance?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Again, it depends on range and accuracy level.

2MOA or less you can throw charges that are quite different. Did a ladder test one time that was a full grain difference in 5 loads. All 25 rounds would fit in a 2" square at 100yd (same aimpoint). At 300yd those groups would be vertical string.

I’ve only been weighing boolits for smaller caliber rifle cartridges (6mm-30cal) that I plan to shoot past 100 yards regularly. In this case, I think it’s important to weigh the brass as well. Seem to get significantly more consistent results because of it.

I don’t weigh to a specific range. I weigh an entire batch to 1/10 of a grain for sorting purposes (because that’s easy to do on a digital scale) drop the outliers on either end of the spectrum For re-melting (~5% if I had a good casting run), then divide and bag the remainder into 2 or 3 sub-batches by weight, depending on the size of the casting run.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    i think that if you can sort bullets by hole grains; you have poor casting practice. i ladle pour and my bullets are +- .02 (2 tenths of a grain). i don't do anything special; just a good rythm. several casts to reheat the mold after fluxing or adding alloy.

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i think that if you can sort bullets by hole grains; you have poor casting practice. i ladle pour and my bullets are +- .02 (2 tenths of a grain). i don't do anything special; just a good rythm. several casts to reheat the mold after fluxing or adding alloy.
    Sometimes the variation is a function of using a multi-cavity mold. I agree that ladle casting from a single cavity mold is the way to go for larger caliber rifle cartridges.

-ktw

Boolit Master

Interesting question... for my bench guns with small case capacity I sort by .1 grains. If the casting is done well, you will likely end up with 3 or 4 populated groups right in the middle of the curve. The rest are foulers or go back into the pot. For general shooting and larger case not bench shot, I do not weight them. But, I do inspect the bases, driving bands and general bullet. If the driving bands and base are not sharp and crisp they go back into the pot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Once you see what variance you get, you may be able to surmise what went wrong during casting. Usually it's the lack of uniform rhythm of casting cadence.
    Now THAT takes dedication and attention to detail; after-the-fact weight check compared to the instant it was cast, or I am being thick headed and implying what you did not write?

I have been casting 223 Bator boolits for quite some time, weighing each (~50 grains) and sorting (49.1 through 51.0 grains with a "bell" shaped distribution), for the day my motivation returns to a semblance of normal and I load and shoot for groups. I will also weigh and sort cases in inverse proportion to boolits - heavy with light and vice versa). I want to test if my "attack on the variables" proves it is worthwhile (or fruitless) to weigh and sort. YMMV.

What do I have but TIME (lies, **** lies, and statistics)? I see this as mathematically FUN in a hobby that is inherently in all things and at all times - FUN. I will become QUITE FAMILIAR with my products (the boolits and rounds), my methodologies, my rifles, my madness, and my increasing confidence in the process.

What could be better than that? It's MOTIVATING for me. If that keeps my oars in the water, it is well worth the time, until is isn't.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 09-29-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast