MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Good range load for 45 Long Colt 300 grain cast bullet

Boolit Mold

Good range load for 45 Long Colt 300 grain cast bullet

Hi Everyone:

I just picked up a Smith and Wesson 460 magnum with an 8 3/4" barrel. (No, i didn't get the accessory wheel package. I want to work up a good 45 Colt range load -- nothing too hot or fast but accurate. I don't want to use magnum primers. Can anyone make any recommendations for a good powder to use? I have IMR 4227, Alliant 2400. I've heard good things about VV 330, and have used Tin Star in my 44 Magnum Marlin with good results.

Thanks for your help!

Vendor Sponsor

2400 is good, H110 is good but don't try and download H110 to target velocity. One other thing, the heavy for caliber boolits like that 300 need spin to stabilize, you will have to drive it fairly hard to achieve this. LilGun is great in 45 Colt, LilGun and 2400 can both be used in less than Ruger Only loads but again, it must spin.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Somewhat lighter bullet, 295 grains as tested, but this load shoots well at 855 fps in in my 4-5/8" New Model Ruger .45 Colt.

Attachment 268161Attachment 268162

Thanks to Larry Gibson for the pressure test data. Note his velocities are from ten-inch Contender.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks DougGuy and Ouptpost 75. At the risk of sounding like a newbie, how did you measure cartridge pressure? Just wondering.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by pcgeminiman View Post
    Thanks DougGuy and Ouptpost 75. At the risk of sounding like a newbie, how did you measure cartridge pressure? Just wondering.
    Larry Gibson has an Oehler M43 Personal Ballistic Lab which uses a strain gage attached to the barrel connected to a computer interface, which is calibrated with factory reference ammo.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.