Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard is it to make a magazine?

If making mags was simple there would be a lot of them on the market. Many of the aftermarket mags at $40 @ don’t work that well. I’ve got 22 mags I have no idea what they are for. At $5 I never let one get buy. Voere, I would have to see one to match up. I do have a new Voere 22rf barrel, don’t know what model it is.

Boolit Buddy
    This is an 8 shot Voere mag. I can give you measurements and angles if you really want to go ahead with it. As far as mags go, this one looks pretty simple.

That looks like what I would expect it to be. Pretty much the shape of the mag well. It's simple enough but not so simple to bend the sheet into shape. Then follow with heat treatment. I could make a former for that. The trick would be to evenly heat the sheet and bend it hot. Or bend it then heat it in the former so it keeps its shape. This will be a challenge!

Thanks, 1066, I would appreciate the measurements if you would be so kind.

I'll also look on the web to see what's out there. Thanks, all.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-24-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

303, Know anyone with a first generation colt woodsman, a Supermatic citation HS or a Smith model 41? Doesn’t look like the grip angle is very extreme like the later Woodsmans or Ruger .22s. See if any of those are close.

maybe you can get some epoxy clay and mold it to inside of gun where mag goes then remove it when hard . make sure to do it in a way that you can get it out.

If you have an example of one that works. What is the width, length and angle of the round as it sits (be sure to account for the rim, so the angle is parallel with the case.

You could also just guy a magazine for it and extend the area where the spring is going to be.

https://www.triplek.com/product/voer...7-rd-magazine/

Edit: I should have searched first, buy one of these and be done.

https://www.agamazond.com/index.php?...ucts_id=354649

Or buy two and get free shipping.
    Last edited by jmorris; 09-24-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Volume reduces costs. If you find someone willing to build 3 or less my guess is you are looking at $300 to $500 each if you are lucky. If you order a 1,000 you should be able to get them for $20 or $30 each
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-24-2020 at 09:43 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

^ why I put the last link in the post above, not worth messing with, when you can buy a new 10 round mag for $34.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    More specifically, for a 22.

I have three 22's missing their magazines. One I have a sample magazine for. Even the ones I have five round magazines for need ten round mags. But let's start with a Voere magazine. I have no sample. This rifle is my main possum and rabbit rifle due to it's shortness and suppressor. I would very much like to build a ten shot mag for it. Ten being the maximum legal limit.
    Are we talking about the semi-auto or the bolt action Voere .22? The mags are different. My rifle and the pictures are for a semi-auto. The semi-auto on these rifles has a facility to be able to lock the bolt and use as a bolt action or semi-auto.

And isn't the OP living in New Zealand?

Boolit Master

Any fool can make a magazine.

The hard part is making one that works.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Any fool can make a magazine.
    The hard part is making one that works.
    Hah! Exactly. So there is the challenge aspect.

Yes, I'm in New Zealand. Which means I can buy a magazine from overseas (but not the US). The UK source is asking £54. For that I can buy a complete rifle with scope. I'm a retiree so I need to be frugal. I do have a workshop and some spare time though. Then again, when a magazine if offered for NZ$35 to NZ$45 it becomes quite tempting.

But remember that if I can make one successfully, I would be able to make another and another and another. So there is that aspect too.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 09-25-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are going to try to make a magazine - this would be a good one to start with.

Appears to made of 22 swg steel (.64mm) Spring also 22 swg.
    Rake angle 74 degrees.
    Inside diameter of round nose 8mm

I would think of this as a sort of "low pressure" magazine ie. it has a gentle spring, it's well supported at the top in the action and large lazy lips.
    If I was making it I might be tempted to make one with brass tube/sheet. Most model shops will stock brass tube with ID of 8mm and small sheets of 22swg brass are also readily available.
    Made in three parts could easily be soft soldered.
    Or machine a steel tube on your lathe and steel sheet and hard solder the bits together.

Boolit Master

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/pro...e-22-lr-10-rnd

Expensive but you know what it looks like
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Thanks for that, 1066.

mf69 set me to thinking. Looking at the geometry of that Voere magazine, it might be simpler to make it in four parts with the main body made from fiber glass. The two sides with the lips could be made from steel strapping which is easily available that could be glued into place and the rear piece with the latch cut out also glued on. The base piece is not a problem as it does not need to fit into anything. The follower would be a bit tricky but can be shaped from any workable material.

Using brass crossed my mind too but I didn't think of using brass tubing. Good idea.

Making a former for this mag, whether to form or jig metal parts or form fiberglass parts would be easy to make. With information 1066 has given, I think I can do it. I shall start looking for materials and decide which way to go.

Too bad you're 1/2 a world away 303. You could stop by here and WE(as in,you do some work) could "probably" knock one out before lunch. Would be expedient tooling meaning,it's lifespan wouldn't come close to industry stds. Or,that it would process the same. Big difference designing tooling for short fast,get'r done and what it takes to run 10k units.

You "can"(which means just that,not "should"),buy an expensive example,use it for design purposes,then sell it once you have a 1/2 dz? Or "borrow" in or from,a stud service sort of way...... owner of said "stud" gets a free clip(code for a post folding process) for their troubles.

On things like this,finding the right shop,with possibly even more important,the right attitude,is the "gold ring". There is a video on YouTube of some,believe it's Czech boys,making,I think AK mags(could be wrong) with some WWII machines. And making it profitably. As an example of how industry used to do it..... spiced with,how in certain instances production doesn't HAVE to be CNC'd. Good luck with your project.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    A glimmer of a memory is coming back to me. I once met an artist type who practiced an art of making small sheet metal objects by laying the raw sheet on a bed of wax, then, using small hammers and such, beating the form into the metal. He said it was a very old technique used by makers of armor in the middle ages.
    Repoussé and chasing are what you're remembering.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repoussé_and_chasing

The first one is hammered from the back side, the second from the front, for decorative work. The two are often combined, especially for practical stuff. Get a decent book on working sheet metal for tool boxes & HVAC ducting, and combine them and you're half-way there.

Tutankhamun's mummy mask is amazing!

I've just had a look at my Remington 511 mag. It's so simple. No forming or bending. Well, the Remington's mag side wall have forming to hold the rounds central but to use the concept, I would attach the guides. I would also need to attach bits on the outside to make it fit the mag well. I'll post a picture next time I open the safe.

I have once or twice made forming tools for heavier material but simpler forms. I've been thinking about how I might do it and while it can be done, the work involved is quite daunting.

The late Jack O’Connor said there were two kinds of people who took scopes apart. Experts and fools. I did this once and found I was in later group. I will have to get his book out and see what he says about magazines. I know I have attempted to make them a couple times and ended up throwing in the towel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12