Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: The 2700fps lube

Boolit Master

The 2700fps lube

I put a new stick of carnauba red in my 4500 today and happened to notice on the paper label is written 2700fps.
    one of my goals this fall is to push a 35-200 in the 35 Whelen with 2520 to the limit, whatever that might come out to be.
    ive been saving a bag of Lino just for tasks such as this.
    has anyone else pushed a cast bullet up to near 2700fps with this lube or others.
    any tips or tricks for success?

Boolit Master
    Would think your alloy would be as critical as your lube. And a mirror smooth bore would not hurt either.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Banner Sponsor

My test rifle is a 30-06XCB with a 14 twist barrel. Shooting the 165gn 30XCB bullet cast from Linotype I have pushed 2850fps. Other's with 16 twist barrels have pushed 3000fps.
    There has been a pile written on the subject starting with casting consistent bullets. Sort them by weight, use the outliers for practice and save the most consistent ones for serious work.

All other things being equal, just switching from a .310" to .311" bullet shrank groups by .5"-ish.
    All the targets are 10 shot groups.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    SNIP...

any tips or tricks for success?
    Here is a couple...
    You might notice accuracy nodes as you work up a load, take notice of them.

If you hit some road blocks, be sure to mix things up, like the following...
    Traditionally, we seat the boolit to engage the lands...if you hit a road block, try a small jump between that engagement.

Have you read "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets" by Veral Smith (LBT molds)?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent example from Lar45. I conducted an extensive test of 13 lube at HV (2600 - 2700 fps) and found three lubes that held up extremely well one of which was 2700 lube. I mostly use Lar's [White Label] 2500+ lube for my HV loads of 2400 - 3000+ fps but would not hesitate to use 2700 if I ran out of 2500+. Here's an 11 shot group at 600 yards with the 30 XCB bullet at 2900+ fps out of my 16" twist 30x60 XCB rifle. The complete details are in; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-XCB-600-yards

Attachment 268166
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Anyone know the fastest cast has been reported being shot at?

Boolit Grand Master

I've pushed to 3200+ fps. Bjorn pushed higher. Accuracy was not good. GCs come off erratically at 2950 - 3000 fps in my 30x60 XCB.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    This 22 centerfire thread is a fun one.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...and-Lotak-lube
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I loaded up my 450BM Ruger American with a 460 S&W max book load along with a 300 grain Lee. It was about a 3.5"/4" group at a 100 yards with no leading. I PCd and GCd them. The alloy was WQcoww alloy with a BC of 16. That load knocked my socks off even with the brake installed. If I had to guess it was around the 2700 fps mark. It's best accuracy was with about 5 grains less which was about a grain and half over max jacketed 450BM recommendation. The accuracy load that was 5 grains less chronographed at 2100 fps. I never had any casing pressure signs but the gun itself couldnt take it and literally started to rattle apart after another range session.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-23-2020 at 09:17 PM.

Boolit Master

I have shot 30-06 at 2700 using the same Carnuba Red back before I started powder coating everything. Since then, I am keeping it down to around 2250 fps from an 16" AR 10, a little more from the 22" M1A. My opinion (worth what you paid for it) is that cast doesn't need to be pushed as fast as j-words as the boolit doesn't need the velocity to disrupt the projectile downrange.

At 2000 FPS, the 150 SP I cast does the damage from my 300 BO. Somebody brought and shot a warn out table saw blade, and shot it with FMJ Mosin ammo. The FMJ pierced perfect little holes in the thin hardened steel. My boolits from the 300 BO tore 1" holes in the steel, and sent the blade for a ride on impact. Wow!

My standard of accuracy is 'minute of soda can' at 100 yards, shooting off-hand. 100 yards is a decent stalk on game, soda can is putting things right in the boiler room on game. I shoot off-hand because I have yet to find a shooting bench, on flat ground, anywhere near a game trail. Soda cans get set at unmeasured distances, at non level surfaces and angles of presentation for more realistic shooting practice.

Had a friend who hated checking the zero on his 300 Win Mag. I told him to stand up and shoot like you would in the field. He came back and said his rifle was still spot on, and he really noticed the reduced perceived recoil. The only thing a do shoot from a bench is a 24" 1-12" .223 while tweaking my load. Currently, an NOE 225-62 RN which is slick sided and plain based, just for PC use. 2450 FPS is devastating on little forest rodents, and of course tin cans.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I have shot a 62 grain cast bullet at more than 3900 fps out of my 30-06 but it was in one of those "accelerator" sabots

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Excellent example from Lar45. I conducted an extensive test of 13 lube at HV (2600 - 2700 fps) and found three lubes that held up extremely well one of which was 2700 lube. I mostly use Lar's [White Label] 2500+ lube for my HV loads of 2400 - 3000+ fps but would not hesitate to use 2700 if I ran out of 2500+. Here's an 11 shot group at 600 yards with the 30 XCB bullet at 2900+ fps out of my 16" twist 30x60 XCB rifle. The complete details are in; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-XCB-600-yards

Attachment 268166
    Larry

How fast do you think will work with 50/50 alox/beeswax

Tim

Boolit Grand Master

dtknowles

I have tested Javelina {no longer available.....) which is a "50/50" lube to the same high velocities and it works just as well. Javelina was also one of the top 3 performers in the extensive high velocity lube test I did. Not sure how the current "50/50"s work with the different alox. I have found 2500+ to work just fine....ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    dtknowles

I have tested Javelina {no longer available.....) which is a "50/50" lube to the same high velocities and it works just as well. Javelina was also one of the top 3 performers in the extensive high velocity lube test I did. Not sure how the current "50/50"s work with the different alox. I have found 2500+ to work just fine....ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it......
    Thanks Larry. My supply of 50/50 claimed to be NRA Formula. It is older stuff, I bought it decades ago and is all I have ever used. I will eventually run out then I am broke and will have to switch to something else, 2500+ sounds like a fine choice.

Tim