Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Carnauba Red Lube

Boolit Buddy

Carnauba Red Lube

Hey guys just switched to the Carnauba red lube form Lyman Orange Magic. Kind of a learning curve here. Obviously the red does not as much heat. I had a huge mess. I did not get all of the orange stuff out and it needed the heat to work right through the Lyman 4500 sizer. When the red finally started showing up it was oozing out everywhere. had to unplug the heater to get it under control. There is still some remnants of the orange left in the sizer.n I suppose I should take the dies out and clean all the orange from the holes before starting the lubing process again. I think the red will be just fine once I am able to start the lubing again. Any thoughts????

Steve

Boolit Grand Master

I would just keep using it as is, with less heat. The last time I switched lubes, I had multi colored bullets for a while, but they worked just fine.

I agree. Just use it until the new lube comes through. Should work just fine. Gp

Boolit Master
    I third just keep lubing. It won't affect anything other than the hear needed.

Moderator Emeritus

+4

One time, when I swapped lubed, it took about 200 boolits to end the multi-color streaking of the lube.
    You may need to adjust the heat accordingly.
    You will like the C-red !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    ive found if not actively sizing bullets once the lube sizer heats up the lube cavity pressure screw has to be backed off several turns to relieve pressure or there is a gob of lube squeezed through the top of sizing die if I walk away from the press while its still hot. I have not tried many different lubes but landed on carnauba red about 20 years ago and have never yet had any leading in any of the calibers I shoot. There is no need for me to experiment with any other lube when this stuff works great in pistol and rifle calibers.
    in time by using it you will get a feel for it in the press.
    I keep a screwdriver handy to scrape out any lube that might build up outside the size die and scrape it off on a piece of cardboard and if a gas check won't stay on before sizing rub bottom of bullit on the excess lube and then stick on gas check.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes that Orange Magic takes a lot of heat. Like at least 20 min before I can start sizing/lubing. At least with the red you can see it clearly, and if it is in the grooves. Once I have all red I will be able to control the heat accordingly. I ran just about 200 through yesterday, and 3/4 of the bullet is red now and 1/4 is orange. My problem was that I had to have the heat up to the the old stuff out, and when the red started coming it was coming out at a much more liquified state. Thus the mess.

Boolit Grand Master

There’s two options emergency switching lubes. Remove all of the old lube first. Or put a new stick in and have a mixed lube until all of the old has worked its way out. When the lubes used require different heat you have a large mess on your hands as the OP has found out. Best to remove all old lube first if they have different heating requirements.

Banned

a couple years back i had sticks of about 10 differnt kinds of lube and about 5lbs of felix lube. I tossed them all in an old crock pot and melted them together. It will probably be sitting on the bench when i die as i powder coat now and it would take an act of God to get me to use messy bullet lube again.