Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Furnace cleanup

Boolit Master

Furnace cleanup

I have this old Potter 3-lb furnace I used to use for small jobs. No control, I ran it through a Router Control from Harbor Freight. Haven't used it in years, and decided to fire it up, and it heats. But it is really dirty inside, with some little trash & stuff (been sitting out on the covered patio). Would it be OK to put a couple drops of soap in it, mostly fill it with water, sit it in the sink, turn it on, and boil the crud out? I would maintain a reasonable watch on it so it doesn't boil dry...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I just hit mine with a Dremel with a little wire brush to take off the heavy funk when I first got it, but normally it stay full of lead so not much clean up is required. Oddly enough it is my best pot for pressure casting.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd just put some alloy in there and flux, scrap, scoop ...flux, scrap, scoop ...flux, scrap, scoop.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Check out this thread. I did it to a Seaco pot recently and it worked great.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-a-Casting-Pot
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Wow, Minerat, that works GREAT! But. I decided just do a little disassembly, clean 8up the externals, and add alloy, flux, scoop, as JonB suggested. Will publish after completion. Here it is as before - note added stop...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7218.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	268255
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned
    these work/help also

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Wow, Minerat, that works GREAT! But. I decided just do a little disassembly, clean 8up the externals, and add alloy, flux, scoop, as JonB suggested. Will publish after completion. Here it is as before - note added stop...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7218.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	268255
    Mine wasn't quite that bad as I had been using it. I did what JonB suggested before I drained it and then gave it the Hydrogen Peroxide treatment. It did not look like the RCBS pot shown in the post, but it really cleaned scale off the rough iron guts in the Seaco. Good luck.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member