RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stepped 357 chamber before the forcing cone. Fix?

Boolit Master

Had a similar problem with my 60-15. One hole had a .015 constriction about .030 from the end of the cylinder. The other 4 holes were fine. That hole appeared to not be fully reamed. Sent it back to S&W and they fitted a new cylinder, no charge. That greatly improved accuracy as the constriction caused a consistent flyer. It now shoots better than I can hold.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Boolit Master

km101,

Good to hear that they took care of you. I'm not sure why the chamber itself has a step. As far as I remember, the throats themselves are consistent.

Boolit Master

Well it went back to S&W and came back worse than it was. Now it appears that the 0.004" step is still there, the funnel to the throat is not a smooth transition and now there is a 0.008" step in the throad itself the step goes from 0.375" to 0.359".

The paperwork says that they replaced the cylinder and yoke. Where they got the cylinder I dont know, maybe the junk parts bin?

I dont know how S&W could take it in, see that something needed to be fixed and put in a worse part than what was in the gun to start with.

IMHO S&W are a pale shadow of what they once were.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    Well it went back to S&W and came back worse than it was. Now it appears that the 0.004" step is still there, the funnel to the throat is not a smooth transition and now there is a 0.008" step in the throad itself the step goes from 0.375" to 0.359".

The paperwork says that they replaced the cylinder and yoke. Where they got the cylinder I dont know, maybe the junk parts bin?

I dont know how S&W could take it in, see that something needed to be fixed and put in a worse part than what was in the gun to start with.
    Sheesh unbelivable! I'd sure get somebody on the phone and send it back again!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

You waited 8 weeks to have it made worse. An 0.016” change to 0.065”

I had my $1700 3.5” revolver sent to SW to have repaired due to the cylinder smacking the top strap. It has been over 6 weeks now I am afraid of what I might have returned to me. It has less than 500 rounds and is a 500

Boolit Master

This is before being "FIXED" by S&W
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20200922_110626(1).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	272946
    This is after being FIXED
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20201209_092616.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	272945

Not sure how well the photos show up, they had to be reduced to get them uploaded.

Boolit Grand Master

I can't quite see. Is that still a step?

Vendor Sponsor

Wow that certainly looks quite borked. I'd be all about somebody there, we'd be on a first name basis before it was done.

I have a couple of 357 finishing reamers but by the looks of it they might only reach to the beginning of the step, but that's just guessing. You could send the cylinder and see but again, I'd be up somebody's butt at S&W to get this fixed. Again.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Yessir. I could've sent it to you the first time and a finish reamer should have cleaned it up. But not now.

Vendor Sponsor

Hmm.. If you were to get a 38 SPL cylinder fitted to it, then send it and have it reamed to 357, at least it would get done nice and proper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12