Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 35 Krag Dies

35 Krag Dies

So, any 35 Krag users out there...like owners of a rebored Krag, where did you get your dies? What are your reloading strategies.

I already contacted CH4D...they don't make em.

I already know Redding will make you a set for the price of rebarrel.

Lee is not taking new custom die orders.

Boolit Master

Inquiring minds would also like to know . . .
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't have a .35 Krag, but I have some thoughts on how to load for it.

1. Neck size with a set of .38/.357 dies. This would require a separate decapping step, maybe a punch or a Lee hand held type.

2. Hunt around for a set of .35 Winchester dies, I think they are close enough to work.

3. A bushing setup from Redding for a .308 based case???

4. You could probably make do with a set of .358 Winchester dies for neck sizing and boolit seating.

5. When you inevitably need to set the shoulder back: a body die from Redding, if they make one, or cut off a standard .30-40 die at the shoulder.

Some ideas, some may work, some may not. Wildcats are not cheap, especially if you want dedicated dies for them.

Robert

35 Krag is not a wildcat, or at least nobody invented it in order to achieve some performance goal. It is a 100 year old supposedly popular rebore option for old krags.

At this point it I think it is just cheaper to leave it 30-40 and rebarrel.

Boolit Master

You can neck size and seat using 35 Remington dies but be careful how you set the adjustment. Sneak up on it. By doing a little math you can make a spacer that will allow you to use a Lee 35 Remington FCD die. If is a standard version, that is only the neck enlarged, get a 30/40 Krag FL die, fully anneal then enlarge the neck to the proper dia to make a FL die. For the usage it will most likely be put to there is no need to re-harden but do polish the ID well and keep your cases clean as the softer metal will scratch. You will need a lathe and the experience to operate it and measure carefully
    Facta non verba

Moderator Emeritus

Could you have whoever reams the barrel ream the dies? There would be no neck interference but it should work.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Yes, look into dies for the old .35 Winchester round. It's essentially the .35 Krag but a .100 longer. Seemingly all in the neck.
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-26-2020 at 01:30 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Could you have whoever reams the barrel ream the dies? There would be no neck interference but it should work.
    Possible but I would make it a bit smaller. For a FL die you want it to be a bit smaller so you can at the least expand it a couple thousands to get the proper dia. to hold the bullet.
    On the other hand if all body dimensions were correct except for the neck dia. then one could reduce that neck dia. with the 35 Remington FL die.
    Guess it would work both ways.

I have found that with sensible loads after the cases are fireformed they do not require full length sizing.
    Facta non verba

About 20 years ago I drew up dozens of cartridge dimensions in CAD. Pulling out the Krag & the .35 Rem drawings and superimposing them, it becomes obvious that the dimension from base to shoulder differs by .186". So a spacer .200" thick to hold the Krag case short in a .35 Rem die would neatly neck-size, and indeed almost FL size a .35 Krag case, without mangling the shoulder. Flies in the ointment are that the Rem case is nominally .006" larger at the shoulder, and there'd be an unsized band at the base .200" wide. (Base diameters are BTW identical.)

Forget the expander stem - decap, expand and flare in separate operations.

The Krag neck is about .200" longer from shoulder to case mouth, so whatever .35 Rem die you choose must accommodate that. (RCBS dies have a closed end, but many others such as Lee do not.)

To use the .35 Rem seater, the spacer should be about .400". Plus or minus depending on whether you want the crimp shoulder in the seater to do anything.

Doing the same with the .35 Winchester drawing reveals that the Win cartridge is .007" smaller than the Krag at the shoulder, so sizing or seating with the Win die would overwork the brass. Not an awful lot, but it's something to consider. I withdraw my post about looking into .35 Winchester dies.

N.B. All dimensions pulled from Barnes.
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-26-2020 at 09:34 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

I have not made or owned a rifle chambered for .35 Krag. I have made and own rifles in .33 Krag (.338) and .38 Krag (.375). I used an angle grinder to cut most of the neck portion off of a .30-40 Krag sizing die. Cost for used die $10.00. For neck sizing I use a Redding .308 Win bushing die, with appropriate sized bushings. It doesn't size the neck all the way to the shoulder. Leaves a little of the neck full diameter, which helps with alignment in the chamber. I have found that .30-40 brass varies quite a bit in neck thickness, but is generally thinner than other .30 caliber brass except for .30-30. The bushings allow you to get the "just right" size for a more "harmonious outcome." The bushing die is a little pricey, $72.00, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018049354?pid=428412 but it can be used for a lot of cartridges. A .35 Rem or .358 Win seating die should work just fine.
    Last edited by Doughty; 09-27-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

^^^ Another good solution ^^^
    Cognitive Dissident

You get .35 Krag Dies the same place as you get .35-303 Dies.. They are called .358 Winchester Dies and are available on Ebay for pennies..

You use the Sizing Die turned out so it only sizes the neck after the expander has opened it up to .35 cal. Pretty easy mod to the stock cases

No Full Length Sizing on these rounds as your cases will separate after one or two reloads if you do.

They headspace on the Rim,,, so Neck Sizing only.

The Bullet Seating Die for .358 Win works just fine once you get it adjusted.

Start with .35 Remington Load Data and work up from there. You won't need much above that.

Hope this helps you get up to speed with your .35 Krag.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Why would FL sizing cause separations?

Otherwise all good ideas.
    Cognitive Dissident

Because the cartridge headspaces on the rim. So if you push the shoulder back it gets pushed back forward everytime you fire it,,, except the stretch happens in the weakest portion of the case which is directly in front of the web of the case. This results in case separation just in front of the web. 1-2 firings will do it. You will see a ring around the base of the case just before it fails.

This is common knowledge for loading .303 British, Neck Sizing only if you want your brass to last. .303 is nearly Identical to .30-40 Krag, as is .35-303 and .35 Krag.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Hmm. I wasn't at all aware of that, although it doesn't surprise me that it would be a problem with the .303 because the Brits used such sloppy chambers.

The Krag? None of the club guys I once knew who shot Krags in milsurp competition ever mentioned it. Now I'll have to do some measuring. I have never reloaded hundreds of rounds a month like they did.

In any case, one would only FL size once the case had swollen to the point where it wouldn't chamber easily, wouldn't one? Certainly not on every reload.
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-29-2020 at 06:48 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

Randy,
    I haven't noticed this phenomenon of which you speak, but I've only been reloading Krag cases for 20 years. Maybe it helps if I adjust my dies so that the shoulder is not set back too much when I full length size. YMMV

Edit to add that I would also expect some problems using the .35 Rem or the .358 Win as a neck sizer, as detailed above.
    Last edited by Doughty; 09-29-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    AKA "Old Vic"

Is there someone here who is, or has, actually reloaded for .35 Krag? Maybe I missed it, but I don't think anyone has clearly said, "I reload .35 Krag and this is how I do it." So maybe just speculation so far?
    AKA "Old Vic"

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine was speculation.

I do remember a thread or two about it four or five years ago, no idea if any of those guys had actually done or not either.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Doughty View Post
    Randy,
    I haven't noticed this phenomenon of which you speak, but I've only been reloading Krag cases for 20 years. Maybe it helps if I adjust my dies so that the shoulder is not set back too much when I full length size. YMMV

Edit to add that I would also expect some problems using the .35 Rem or the .358 Win as a neck sizer, as detailed above.

I have reloaded my .303 Brit cases 7 times so far, and they are still viable. When I started I got 2-3 reloads before the line occurred so I came here and Larry Gibson filled us all in on Neck Sizing both these cases. .303 and Krag are very similar cases.

My .35-303 was done by JES Reboring. First thing out of his mouth was .358 Win Dies and .35 Rem Data to start.

.35-303 is not rechambered, the bore is simply opened up to .35 cal. Thus the shoulder is much smaller and in the same place.

Here' a pic of an unfired .303 case along side one fired in my .303. You can easily see the difference in the Shoulders and if the cases were FL sized the shoulder set back would be significant. When fired the Shoulder is blown back forward to fill the chamber but lots of the material comes from the weakest portion of the case which is just in front of the web. Krags probably weren't chambered like #4 Mk1's so yours may be different. But .358 Win dies will still work just fine.

You guys can do what you want, and if it works for you, that's great. It is still a Free Country, at least for now.

Randy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast