Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are my targets telling me?

Boolit Master

I really dove in to shooting cast from rifles about 8 years ago, it's a sickness. 03A3 30-06 with a Lee 310-150 RF I used for a friend's 30-30 may years ago. Sure, the 170 RF would have been better, but the 150 was $12.98 on sale new. First results were promising, I was surprised Dad let me shoot cast in his rifle, but he taught me to load 45 years ago.

8 years and several newer rifles later, I shoot a lot more cast in rifles. .223/5.56, in a Mini 15 and AR 15s, 3 .308s, it is truly a sickness. I read BruceB from start to finish in the M1 and M1A as inspiration. Although we lost Bruce, his writings live on and his cast exploits are legendary. Can I load and shoot at his level? Maybe with time. For me, 'minute of soda can at 100 yards' is my start level for off-hand shooting. That will put the boolit in the boiler room on most north american game. If I can't hold that standard I have no business stalking and hunting.

My brother on a good day can shoot the dingleberries off a gnat's backside with his M1A, but he doesn't spend the trigger time like he did. I try to get him to 'go out, and go old school.' He asked 'what are you talking about?' M1As and 1911 pistols, leave all the super zappers at home and let real brass hit the deck. Oh, and set up some tin cans at 100 yards. Yes, we shoot tin cans at 100 with the 1911 pistols, it takes some concentration but it is doable. Dad always said 'the pistol can do it, the boolit flies straight if you do your part.' I like the challenge!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Here are some 100 yard groups from a 1 in 12 Ruger American with the Lee 200 cast from 50/50/2, air cooled, and powder coated with ebay clear. I didn't log velocities, but if I recall properly, they were in the 2200 fps range. ESs were a bit high, some dacron might tighten groups up a bit.

Looks pretty good with your alloy 10-12 b and that 35.9 gr load has to be 2300 fps, that 1-12 twist Ruger barrel must be smooth, good shooting. I still like more rounds per group but you fired 17 rounds and it gives a good idea of whats going on. Personally I'd forget the dacron and find some kapok if you want to try a filler.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Your bullets are too soft and maybe you are expecting too much. Powder coating does not make the bullets stronger. Stronger bullets are need to overcome the forces on the bullet at higher linear and rotational velocities.

A rifle that shoots an inch to an inch and a half with jacketed bullets will not shoot better than that with cast. How much development did it take to get those groups with jacketed. More than one powder and four different charges?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I would check all of sights/scope on rifle. Rifling in barrel. Last but not least the powder and projectiles. Try different one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12