Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snap on tools

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    Already happened. I have a set of high polish metric combination wrenches, Craftsman, Made in USA.
    Huh, Craftsman does not list wrenches on the made in USA section on their website. Did you buy new old stock?

SK used to make the Craftsman Professional wrenches (high polish) at one time. They are nice wrenches.

OK guys I've been down this road for a long time and have been killed by some of the things I found out.

I bought a Timing Light from Kragen Auto Parts. $79.95,, a few days later a friend bought one from the Snap On Truck. $279.95 ! I just happened to be there and noticed that the gun looked alot like the one I just bought, so I ran and got mine, and showed him after the truck left..

They were Identical except for the Sticker on the side that read Kragen on mine and Snap On on his. Made in China! and this was 20+ years ago. He tried to return it but the truck guy said no returns on Electronics!

He and I have never bought anything from them again.

Then a few years later when comparing some Harbor Freight Wrenches they looked suspiciously like some of my Snap On Wrenches, Again Identical except for the Logo impressions on the sides, right down to the partlines on the edges and when they had the exact same defects on the edges it meant they were made in the exact same forge dies !!!

I have every kind of Wrench and Socket known to man and have been accumulating them since I was 12 years old. My Favorite Ratchet is a 1/4" Snap On made in the late 50's and given to me by a mentor along with it's 1/4" drive socket set box. He got the big 1/4' drive set box and gave me the small box. He gave me lots of tools and I still have everyone of them including my Proto Key Chain Screwdriver that I have carried everyday of my life since 1962! I lost my key chain for a few days and the only thing I cared about was that screwdriver! Luckily I found it stuck in the door of my shop!

Now I buy most tools I rarely need from Harbor Freight, but I am currently on "F" China bent as they just tried to kill us all.

Craftsman has alway been one of my Favs as is Proto and SK Wayne. Plumb tools are way cool as well. My father gave me a Craftsman Tool box and some starter tools for my 12th Birthday and I still have all of them as well. They were Sears Dunlap wrenches and screw drivers.

Good tools will last forever! But paying for brand names that have taken companies from #1 Status to outright Liars, hurts me deeply.

All of a sudden I guess it is OK to lie to anyone and everyone or just conceal the truth?

I guess they are following the lead of our Leaders in Congress?

My .02 and I'm pretty sick of it.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-22-2020 at 03:52 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Huh, Craftsman does not list wrenches on the made in USA section on their website. Did you buy new old stock?

SK used to make the Craftsman Professional wrenches (high polish) at one time. They are nice wrenches.
    I bought them at the now defunct Orchard Supply Hardware 2 years ago. I was looking for an 18mm to fill out my HF set and the Craftsman 20 something piece set was $60 on sale. Granted some were ignition wrenches but they go to 23mm and have every size. They are longer than standard, high polish finish. Very Nice!

Can't imagine moving a forge in 2 years but anything is possible.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

There are a few applications where Snap-on has and edge on other quality tools, a little slimmer to allow access with strength to handle mucho torque. I encounter them rarely. I will admit there is a world of difference between a good quality tool and the cheapo Pacific Rim junk. That being said, Stanley is sufficient for most of my needs. I suppose that the tool world is like the reloading world in that there are snobs in both camps for whom only a certain brand or color is adequate.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    What’s the story with SK tools today? I heard they went bankrupt. Has anyone bought them and started them back up?

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like SK is still in business. I found these on Amazon and am considering them.

https://www.amazon.com/SK-Hand-Tool-.../dp/B00BC4T8WO

Anyone remember Williams Super Wrenches?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What’s the story with SK tools today? I heard they went bankrupt. Has anyone bought them and started them back up?
    The story is that the company has changed hands a few times. Today's offerings seem very good in quality. You are going to pay 2-3 times as much for SK as for a similar item from Tekton or Gearwrench, but much less that you will for a Snap-on product. SK tools are made in the USA.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post

I think they are either made in China now or assembled in the USA of global parts. I have a set of Craftsman sockets and large wrenches that say "Made in USA" right on them. How I manged to bend the 1 1/4 wrench is a mystery. Must have been stronger in my younger days.

I had never heard of Tekton and took a look. Seems like quality stuff but for someone like me that doesn't make a living with tools I can't justify the price of Snap On, Tekton or anything else. HF and Craftsman fill my needs pretty good and both have lifetime. Craftsmans are sold out of Ace and Lowes now. If one breaks just call the 800 number and read them the number off the tool. They send a new one no questions.
    Last edited by jonp; 09-22-2020 at 05:59 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

In doing some research I find that SK, is now owned by Ideal industries, who owns Western Forge, who makes tools for other labels including Craftsman and Husky. SK used to make tools for Snap On. Maybe they are making tools for them today.

SK was once owned by Facom, a French tool manufacturer who once was thought of as selling the best Tools in France. I’ve heard that their quality has gone way down. Facom is now owned by Stanley.

It’s really something how companies have been bought and sold internationally and who makes what today.

Boolit Grand Master

I’m not a vehicle mechanic so a Snap-On truck doesn’t stop by my house weekly. I most likely would have invested at a young age if I had access to Snap-On. But I didn’t so I buy what’s available.

Most of my basic tools are made up of Kobalt, Craftsman and Husky. I don’t like Husky, personal reasons, and have switched to buying most Kobalt. If they are phasing this line out for Craftsman I guess that’s okay as long as the quality is still there.

I have no issue paying for tools. But I don’t like to overpay. It’s why I don’t buy Fluke meters. For my industry UEI makes a better product at an affordable price. They’re made in Korea who I have no issues giving my money to. I’ve tested those meters against the company supplied, and calibrated, Flukes. Shocker, my first UEI meter which is eighteen years old reads exactly the same as the Fluke across its range.

My toolbox has many other brands as well. I really like Wiha precision screwdrivers. I have a Facom ratcheting oil filter wrench that you will have to pry from my cold dead hands. And lately I’ve been buying Tekton impact sockets. They’re priced right for my needs.

Boolit Master

I have SK tools that have been manufactured in the last couple years and find they are of good quality. This includes wrenches, sockets and screwdrivers. Whatever problems they might have had in the past seems to have been corrected.

Banned
    I have SK sockets and wrenches that my dad used and I still use them today SK was a top quality tool as good as any out there and their ratchets are easier to use in tight spots too.

Boolit Master
    one thing that snap on sockets have that many others don't is an internal ridge ring so nuts don't go to the top of inside of socket when installing nuts and bolts, saves time and frustration in many circumstances. when I started working at a dealership time was everything and any tool that could help save time in getting a repair job done right was a worthwhile expense. Back then the owner of the place was charging $100hr labor and he would come through the shop saying stuff like, "hurry hurry be careful"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Snap On dealer did the same thing with us but I guess he figured we were all stupid as he was comparing the flank drive with a plain Mac wrench. I have both of Snap On flank drive and Mac knuckle buster and problem with the Snap On is it will mess up the fastener head or nut. They work slightly better than the Mac knuckle buster if you are replacing the bolt or nut though Mac has a new wrench out that is similar but at my age I’m done buying any new tools.
    I prefer Mac wrenches for the simple fact they are thicker and more square which fits my hand better but because they are thicker can give issues in tight places and that’s were the Snap On work better.
    It’s really comes down to what one is doing as if I was just doing some weekend wrenching on my own things I sure wouldn’t be spending the money on tools and would be going with Craftsman or similar.
    But there are some tools that only Snap On, Mac and a couple others make so you have no choice. I have tools from decades ago for Cat, Cummins and Detroit that cost big money and haven’t used in years as those engines are long gone up here anyways.
    Mac didn't have their upgrade wrenches when I got the demo. Prolly 40 yrs ago. Also Mac were a lot less $$ than Snap on at one time, but it seems the prices have gone up to where they come close to equal. I've got Snap on, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, SK and other specialty tools from OTC and others. They all work, can't complain about the quality of any of them now.

When the tool guys stop in I usually say hi, go out to the truck twice a year and only replace things lost. Don't need much anymore unless some new fastener comes along to have to deal with.

Boolit Master
    Caterpillar used to sell a line of branded tools once,all the apprentices that were from Cat dealers had a set.....The 3/8 drive swivel sockets were the only ones that would fit the bolts in the D9G intercooler,no other brand of flexsocket would fit..........I would buy a specialized Snap On tool sometimes ,they were good for the very specialized tools.I didnt like the sales methods where they would sell an apprentice $30,000 of tools on finance.I still dont approve of it. ..But if you want crazy prices ,try the German Stahlwille tools......very expensive for the thinnest walls imagineable.

I had bought the Snap on gasket hole punch set to cut out my over powder and shot cards and holds up for me and hold the edge .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    Yup been through a few of those type of tool truck guys. But I will say in defense of the good ones that they are taking a risk giving 1000’s of dollars to someone who is paying very small payments and the tool truck owner has to pay Snap On or Mac every month. I’ve seen many rip the tool man off never to be seen again along with the tools.
    What I try and get apprentices to do is buy a basic set through one of the big box stores. We don’t have Sears up here anymore as a set of Craftsman was a good deal. That way if they decide this isn’t what they want to do then not out much.
    But there is always that one or two that gets sucked into buying the $6000.00 plus Snap On or Mac tool box and then they can’t afford to but the tools that they really need.

Oh no don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the truck guys. It's just that this one particular guy was a jerk no matter what he was doing. As it turns out one of my best friends is now a MAC distributor (route guy) and just happens to live next door. At this point in my career I don't buy much but when I do guess what it is.

Boolit Master
    i was a heavy truck mechanic most of my life and snap on and mac tools was most of what i used,now days most all of my socket sets are sunex,great tools for the money

Boolit Master
    Tool truck guys I know channel credit sales thru a broker ,and never carry the risk themselves.....on guy says he makes more from credit agency comissions than from selling tools.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast