RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Snap on tools

Boolit Master
    OTC sure isn't what it used to be. a couple years ago I was after some new compression gauge set and vacuum gauge while working on chainsaws and figured I'd go with OTC when I got the package it was the same exact same tools that harbor freight offers with a different label. It was nothing like the quality stuff they made in years gone by. I've probably spent at least $5k on OTC tools in the past, mostly pullers, bearing separators, hydraulic pullers, the quality of their tool steels, gauges and hoses used to be the best there was, not anymore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I have no issue paying for tools. But I don’t like to overpay. It’s why I don’t buy Fluke meters. For my industry UEI makes a better product at an affordable price. They’re made in Korea who I have no issues giving my money to. I’ve tested those meters against the company supplied, and calibrated, Flukes. Shocker, my first UEI meter which is eighteen years old reads exactly the same as the Fluke across its range.
    UEI is 50% owned by Kline. I need 60 Hz for generators and not one UEI meter has it, darn.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    UEI is 50% owned by Kline. I need 60 Hz for generators and not one UEI meter has it, darn.
    UEI DL389. Just checked it w/ a few outlets in my house and they all read right around 60Hz. Unless I’m misunderstanding your need the meter will measure frequency.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    UEI DL389. Just checked it w/ a few outlets in my house and they all read right around 60Hz. Unless I’m misunderstanding your need the meter will measure frequency.
    Thanks! My Fluke 87 is dying and I need something that will read AC. I'll Check it out!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I was an instructor at a mechanical school for over a decade, we got half price Matco, MAC, and Snap-On tools as a werk perk.

Kind of random- but some observations.
    Snap-On Flank Drive sockets are superb.

Most people buy "philips" screwdrivers and are often aggravated with them, most of the newer fasteners that look like Philips are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) a different grind, specify JIS if you are working on newer stuff.

Never did like snap on wrenches, just don't fit in my hand well.

Loved Matco screwdrivers, nicely ergonomic, BUT have switched to Bondhus- made in USA, excellent warranty, and VERY comfortable.

Flex-head ratchets are the only way to fly, most of the upper end manufacturers have them that will lock on an angle, important.

Try looking in an MSC catalog, there are some "industrial" brands that seem well made, and made in the USA, Armstrong for example.

Most of my fractional wrenches are as old as I am- Williams, is a favorite.. yardsales.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by beezapilot View Post
    I was an instructor at a mechanical school for over a decade, we got half price Matco, MAC, and Snap-On tools as a werk perk.

Kind of random- but some observations.
    Snap-On Flank Drive sockets are superb.

Most people buy "philips" screwdrivers and are often aggravated with them, most of the newer fasteners that look like Philips are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) a different grind, specify JIS if you are working on newer stuff.

Never did like snap on wrenches, just don't fit in my hand well.

Loved Matco screwdrivers, nicely ergonomic, BUT have switched to Bondhus- made in USA, excellent warranty, and VERY comfortable.

Flex-head ratchets are the only way to fly, most of the upper end manufacturers have them that will lock on an angle, important.

Try looking in an MSC catalog, there are some "industrial" brands that seem well made, and made in the USA, Armstrong for example.

Most of my fractional wrenches are as old as I am- Williams, is a favorite.. yardsales.
    Almost every manufacturer of sockets now has their own version of flank drive.

Boolit Grand Master

My Grandfather was a mechanic for Falstaff Brewery from 1928 to 1963 and he gave a a ;lot of his tools when he retired. When I broke a Snap on wrench that was at least 50 years old Snap on replaced it with no questions. It don't get no better.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I was in the Navy, guys would put Craftsman tools in a vise and break them. They would show the broken tool to their chief and the Navy would buy a new one. The sailor would then take the broken tool to Sears, who would replace it and then they put that tool in their personal toolbox.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    When I was in the Navy, guys would put Craftsman tools in a vise and break them. They would show the broken tool to their chief and the Navy would buy a new one. The sailor would then take the broken tool to Sears, who would replace it and then they put that tool in their personal toolbox.
    Several years ago I had a friend whose son was in the Navy Submarine Service. He said that when the ship(sub) came home from a long voyage, probably long time submerged, they were commanded to toss their tools overboard before docking to make room for new tools that would be delivered before sailing again. According to my friend, a lot of tool boxes got well stocked at this time.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Anyone remember Williams Super Wrenches?
    I've got a full set from 5/16" to 1 1/2" my dad gave me in 1972 . Like them a lot better than Snap-on because the Williams is not slick like Snap-on.

Boolit Master
    i used to buy tools 1 at time as i needed them , hand a great set after about 10 years af/whitworth/metric .had a break in lost the lot .only guy to give me a valuation to replace them for the insurance was the snap on guy .when i got the pay out i bought snap on great tools but i still miss my old kit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234