PBcastcoLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most popular cap n ball replica

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Most popular cap n ball replica

What is the most popular cap n ball revolver replica today. Taking into account cost to buy new and overall satisfaction of owners. In other words, what should I buy for a first time cap n ball pistol?

You'd need a survey and sales statistics to determine which is the most popular. I think it would show the 1851 Navy by either Pietta or Uberti to be at the top of the list. I have several cap and ball revolvers, but that's my favorite.

Boolit Buddy
    In my opinion, the least fussy would be an Uberti replica of the Remington New Army. It won't go as many shots with some attention as a Colt, but pulling the cylinder pin and wiping it down is not as onerous as dropping the wedge on a Colt clone. Also the Remington is less prone to having cap fragments drop in between the hammer and the frame. If you ever wondered why the Army taught troopers to cock cap and ball Colts with the muzzle pointed up, it will soon become apparent where the old sergeants got that from.

Boolit Master
    In my opinion the 1851 Navy is the way to go. I tried out a few and ended up with a 5 inch .44.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd also say the 1851 Navy. I have 2. Mostly I think because it is the cheapest. I should have read the whole thing. I'd get something with a steel frame so it lasts longer if you plan on shooting heavy loads or allot. The Walker is wanted allot but it is heavy and the load lever drops when fired. I'd go with the Colt dragoon over the Walker if I was to do it over. I don't think you would go wrong with any of them though.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Grand Master

What caliber would be recommend, .44?

Boolit Master

I would say the 1860 is one of the most popular , have owned the 58 rem. and the 51 navy , if buying a 51 navy it should be in .36 caliber , have one and it is a joy , but like the 60 army better , the rem. 58 is a stronger design , though I have never shot a colt to pieces , cylinder pin does get hard to remove on some I have owned , lube plays a big part in shooting these .

Have owned a Dragoon 3rd model was heavy , but it is built stout , you really will not be wrong in whatever one you get , my first one was as a 15 year old it was a rem. 58 in .44 kit I assembled finished and shot it a lot , wore out several parts that I replaced over the years then gave to a older brother , Bought a 58 in .36 as it looked so lonesome in the gun store used and missing 2 small patch of blue , a shame as it looks unfired , I have not even fired it .

Boolit Master
    The original 1851 Navy was a .36. For fun the .36 is a pleasure to shoot and takes less powder and lead. The 1851 Navy in .44 is a modern creation, an 1860 Colt Army cylinder on the 1851 grip frame, though they shoot just fine. A step-up and very enjoyable would be the 1861 Navy in .36. Just a bit 'prettier' than the 1861. I find the 1858 Remington's just don't feel as good as the Colt style grip in MY hands and the hammer is farther forward and harder to reach with the firing hand, of course it doesn't matter with two hands. The Uberti's seem to be slightly better fit and finished than the Pietta's, but recent Pietta's are very well done. I have 1860 Army's, an 1858 Remington, a couple 1851's in .36 and .44, an 1861 Navy .36 and other bigger and smaller cap'n'ball revolvers. I play with the the 1851 and 1861 navies in .36 the most.

Boolit Buddy

The most popular is the 1851 Colt . The best shooting are any of the Top strap versions. Remington, Rogers and Spencer. The Colt is a problem in competition as the hammer creeps forward as you squeeze. The rear notch is in the hammer. My two cents

Boolit Master
    If I were buying it would be 1851 in .36cal, soo much fun?
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What is the most popular cap n ball revolver replica today. Taking into account cost to buy new and overall satisfaction of owners. In other words, what should I buy for a first time cap n ball pistol?
    A Pietta Remington is the best bang for your buck and IMHO it's also the most popular model.
    I hung around a black powder revolver forum for a long time before I decided to buy a Pietta Remington first.
    I didn't want to get involved with home gunsmithing to fix cap jams or a short arbor if at all possible.
    I didn't even buy a revolver until I first bought a loading press to load extra cylinders off the gun which are much easier to swap for reloading with the 1858.
    Why Pietta?
    Because they sell the great majority of them including a less expensive blued Target Model which Uberti only offers in stainless, and because the spare Pietta cylinders are also much more affordable.
    Whether it's buying the gun, parts or cylinders, the lower Pietta prices results from their volume production of a good quality gun with high customer satisfaction. It's their bread & butter.
    Last edited by arcticap; 09-21-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

What is meant by a top strap version?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    What is meant by a top strap version?
    The 1858 Remington New Army and the Rodger's & Spencer were solid-frame guns having a top-strap frame, whereas the Colts featured open-top frames.

Attachment 268071
    Last edited by Outpost75; 09-21-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

My guess is the Colt 1851 Navy replica. Usually less $ than the the others. (I say this, although my first one was an 1858 Remington.)

I own several Pietta 1851 Navy .36 "type" revolvers. Pietta 1851 Navies (since ~2001) are CNC-machined (as are the Ubertis) but Pietta has a few more different barrel/cylinder combinations available as parts. I am a "parts-changer" because I like various Confederate type revolvers (Griswold & Gunnison, Leech & Rigdon, Rigdon & Ansley, Augusta Machine Works, et al) and have been able to use Pietta parts to create these. I won't go into that here.

As a first-timer, I would stay away from brass-framed revolvers if you are going to shoot heavier loads. Yes, they are less expensive than the steel-framed guns (not by much), but such loads tend to drive the steel cylinder back into the brass recoil shield, imprinting it with the cylinder ratchet teeth, which eventually will cause excessive cylinder end-shake on the arbor/cylinder pin and increased barrel/cylinder gap. I would stay away from the Colt/Remington Pocket revolvers (.31) as they are very small in the hand. The Walker and the Dragoon models are very large (the Walker is 4 lbs. 9 oz., the Dragoon is 4 lbs. 2 oz.) I would urge you to obtain what is considered a "belt" revolver: 1851/1861 Navy .36, 1860 Army .44, or the 1858 Remington .36 or .44. If you have large hands, the 1860 Army grip is longer than the 1851 Navy grip.

Here is a size comparison photo of some of my revolvers:

Armi San Marco 1860 Army Full-fluted Cylinder .44
    Uberti Whitneyville Hartford Dragoon .44
    Pietta 1851 Navy Second Model Belt Dragoon .36 . (Purely a fantasy revolver as Pietta never marketed it. It started out as a Pietta 1851 Navy with a round trigger guard, octagon barrel, and engraved cylinder. I added a part round/part octagon barrel and smooth cylinder, a squareback trigger guard, and nicer replacement wood.)

This may be somewhat above your knowledge level at this time, but I assure you that it will not be for long once you get into this hobby. Like 99% of us who like/love C&B revolvers, the more you learn, the more addictive it gets, especially if you become a member of the many BP forums out there. Then you will see how many addictions there really are!

In closing, I would just say buy whatever suits your fancy because if you like this stuff, it will only be the first of many you will acquire. All it takes is $$$.

Regards,

Jim

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    While it may be sacriledge to the purists, if you are looking for the most accurate, sturdy, reliable and durable cap & ball revolver for serious target and field work, there is none better than the Ruger Old Army. Not traditional, but highly practical.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I think the 1860 colt is just plain ugly. I have 3 1858 Remington ,2 stainless and 1 blued all by Uberti. I shoot .457 balls and find the accuracy superb. Cleaning and maintenance is easy and with the sleek lines has to be one of the most beautiful cap and ball revolvers ever made.
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Master
    Colt 1861 .36
    Art that goes bang

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    While it may be sacriledge to the purists, if you are looking for the most accurate, sturdy, reliable and durable cap & ball revolver for serious target and field work, there is none better than the Ruger Old Army. Not traditional, but highly practical.
    I would have to agree.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    I had a Colt second Generation 1851 Navy with the square back trigger guard that I bought 36 years ago .
    I never fired it because it didn't fit my hand.
    My fat fingers wouldn't fit in the trigger guard and the grip was kind of small for me.
    But I think it was one of the nicest and best built cap and balls made.
    I just sold it to my step daughters father in law in the unfired condition a month ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast