Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: $25 for 10lbs Lino, too much?

Boolit Buddy

$25 for 10lbs Lino, too much?

Have a guy with Linotype. Selling 10 lbs for $25. Not sure if that's shipped but I doubt it. Too much?

Boolit Master
    How much would it cost you for the component metals?

Lead and tin (in the form of pewter ~92% Sn content) are ~$1 a pound and ~$9 a pound respectively in the S&S. Antimony is harder to find and work with, but if you could combine it yourself into your lead (problematic and potentially unhealthy to do at home according to some) it's about $7 a pound from Rotometals in the amounts we home casters might want to buy.

Linotype is nominally 84% Pb, 12% Sb, and 4% Sn. To make it yourself might cost you, per pound, 84¢ in lead, the same in Sb, and 36¢ for the tin. That's $2.04 per pound in materials cost, not including the propane to alloy it together, and your time, effort and gas to scrounge it all. Your cost is lower if you can source the raw materials for less, more if it costs more (by way of example, my lead and tin cost substantially less, but my source of antimony is Rotometals SuperHard, which is pricey).

This assumes you can analyze scrap and that you want an exact alloy. Neither is necessary for many applications.

Boolit Buddy
    What does rotometals say? Five pound bar is 20.99 or 4.20 a pound. Getting a thousand pound pallet could be 3520.00 or 2199.00 plus shiping depending on the style of ingots. So 2.50 a pound seems like a good price to me.
    Last edited by 6mm win lee; 09-21-2020 at 07:16 AM.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Linotype is getting harder to find. I’d buy it.

Boolit Master
    Look on S&S foundry type for just over $2.00/lb.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master

It sells for $2 a pound plus shipping in the S&S section here pretty often. $2.50 a pound ain't too far out of line. Its getting harder to find.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have 400 lbs or so and would not sell it for less. It depends on what you can buy it for elsewhere. Mine is "foundry" linotype so I know it is "good stuff". I would be leery of buying linotype that was in those little ingots many people use unless I knew the person. It is too easy to "cheat". Kevin's post is worth looking at to get a feel for value.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    $2-3/# is reasonable these days, considering it it becoming short in supply "in the wild". (Roto will always be able to mix it on demand.)

$2.50 shipped is a bargain. Even in a flat rate box, still pretty good deal.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    What do you guys need so hard of an alloy for? I’ve ran WQ straight old wheel weight alloy with PC up to 2650 FPS and over with zero leading. Most my boolits now a days are 50 % pure and 50 % COWW ac. I just don’t see a need for anything harder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    What do you guys need so hard of an alloy for? I’ve ran WQ straight old wheel weight alloy with PC up to 2650 FPS and over with zero leading. Most my boolits now a days are 50 % pure and 50 % COWW ac. I just don’t see a need for anything harder.
    The best use of Linotype in my opinion is mixed if you have a source of soft lead. Things like roof flashing, stick on wheel weights, lead piping, X-ray lead, etc. I even heard of a guy who ran some kind of air rifle club, and melted the captured pellets. Those pellets are soft lead. It seems to me the harder lead sources like clip on wheel weights are what are getting hard to find, at least for free. I don't even try anymore. I take what I can, but the bulk I buy. $2.50 is not outlandish for linotype, considering you could mix that 6:1 lead to linotype, and get a good alloy. That stuff goes a long way.

Payed $2 for the raw stuff recently so $2.50 in an ingot, as stated, ain’t too bad.

Boolit Master
    Lino is great for making Lyman #2 alloy. $2.50 a pound is a good deal.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    I'd want $3/lb shipped for mine.

Boolit Buddy
    Mostly my reason is bullets. The other is a hedge against inflation. Ten years from now Linotype could be ten Federal Reserve Note dollars a pound and guys would be hard pressed to find it at any price. So the conversation could go [some bullet caster] "I need some Lino." [Me] "Well, I have a few pounds I could let you have for nine bucks a pound."

The mechanics is no different from buying gold, silver, and platinum today.
    Fifty years a lawyer and you still look down your nose at your fellow citizens who study and know law better than you. Every
    citizen is an attorney.