Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Mold blueprints?

Boolit Mold

Mold blueprints?

im a budding machinist and i would love blueprints so i can make a few molds. I own a few lee molds however i dont want to make something i already own. Does anyone have a blueprint for a shotgun shot mold? Like nunber 4 buck? Thanks Justin

Boolit Master

#4 buck is just a round ball, 0.24 inches or 6.10 mm. the hard part of making a mold is the cherry.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

If you need a blueprint to make a mold.
    A blueprint probably won't help much.
    Molds are pretty simple.

Boolit Master

See NOE website. They have dimensions for bolts on almost all their molds.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Most make the moulds off a bullet drawing. Blocks are pretty much a given. sprue plates and vent lines may vary from maker to maker.
    Your blocks need to be square and flat, the actual inside faces could be lapped to get a good match. vent lines can be cut with a engraving point, or a vee lathe tool in a fly cutter.

As was stated if your doing old school the cherry is the hard part. cutting it fluting hardening and then sharpening it.New way in cnc draw bullet and let computer write the program. Edm a carbon or copper tungsten electrode and circle pocket program.

In the old way a double acting vise is needed ( both jaws open and close together), these arnt as common as years ago. On a mill with dro moulds could be set on long pins and clamped in open position with a block on edges or between double cavities (1" would mean adding .500 to half cutter dia)

For your buckshot mould a 1/4" ball mill would cut cavities a 1/8' ball mill the channels with location from alignment pins. Staggering the balls might even allow for 1-2 mire rows in the same length blocks, lay out would show the gain if any.

I would recommend starting out with brass or aluminum blocks for ease of machining and increased tool life.

Lyman and lee used to sell blanks for custom moulds or hit gun shows for used moulds in bad condition.