Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any suggestions....sticking mold blocks

Any suggestions....sticking mold blocks

Hi all, had my first casting run with my brass Arsenal mold. Everything went well, great bullets but when I try to open the mold blocks after my casts they are a real pain in the rear to open. I have pre treated the mold (cycle to 350-400 degrees on a hot plate 4 times), made sure the spruce plate and pins were lubed. My lead is just over 3% tin (10lbs COWW and 2 1/2 lbs Foundry type alloy), I am running my lead around 720. Any suggestions would be appreciated to get them opened a bit easier. Thank you, Darrin.

Sounds like you need a little more lube on your pins. Preheat the mold, then lube. Sometimes I need to lube a couple times per session.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

I am using anti seize, do you think maybe going with 2-stroke motor oil instead would help?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Targa View Post
    I am using anti seize, do you think maybe going with 2-stroke motor oil instead would help?
    use mold lube, your gumming up the line up pins with the antiseize. antisieze when it gets really hot turns into glue and becomes anti antisieze, we had to stop using it at work because of this.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Yes. I have never tried never seize, I always use 2 stroke oil.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Excellent, thank you both. I will clean the mold and get the anti sieze off the pins and out of the pin holes.

Boolit Bub
    I think the Arsenal mold pins are a bit long for the taper they use on them. I just got two and used one yesterday and had the same problem. However if I hold the back of the mold as I open the mold it opened up much smoother. I wish the rear pin was shaped like my Accurate mold pins.

Boolit Grand Master

Try using a pencil lead to lube pins and holes. Pencils are graphite just lightly color the pins and holes. the graphite wont burn off and will be a dry lubricant on the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo1892 View Post
    I think the Arsenal mold pins are a bit long for the taper they use on them. I just got two and used one yesterday and had the same problem. However if I hold the back of the mold as I open the mold it opened up much smoother. I wish the rear pin was shaped like my Accurate mold pins.
    Thank you for that Hondo, I will give that a try.

Boolit Bub
    Targa I meant to say hold the front of the blocks. If the back end opens a bit first the blocks come apart easier.

Boolit Master

I have to do a little tap and shake with my latest Arsenal molds , looks like less taper on female side of alignment and pins have little to no taper , the MP molds have the best alignment pins looks like a bullet and if you find a HM2 heavy metal mold there pins are fantastic on the 2 molds I have .

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    I have to do a little tap and shake with my latest Arsenal molds .
    That I don’t mind at all, it’s the forcing them open that is annoying at best.

Thanks Hondo, I appreciate the info. I am going to try what others suggested, get rid of the anti seize and use two stroke oil. If that doesn’t work I’ll contact Arsenal and see if they can help out.

Boolit Master

The tap and shake is opening them not dropping bullets , my back alignment pin sticks just a little and I am using 2 cycle in the hole for pin , like I said I wish they had a little more taper on end of alignment pins , but a tap with a dowel as I turn it over and a little wrist action for opening and closing and they make nice bullets .

Ahh thank you, I misunderstood. I will try that as well.

Boolit Master
    I think the problem may not be with the mold, it is likely your handles are not operating properly and binding when opening.

Boolit Master

I tried handles from another mold that worked , it is not the handles on mine it is the alignment pins and holes being straight with next to no taper on mine , they work but not as slick as most other molds , yes I heated the molds several times and used mold lube in holes and on pins lightly no there is no build up these were like this from new yes I have used my pair like this for 5-6 casting sessions and not short casting sessions , but try different handles as it only takes a minute to check that .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Paraffin lubes and does not leave a residue to lube pins and sprue plate. Been using it for yeas on all my molds
    Regards
    John

The Great Plains North of the Platte River
    I had the same problem with my new Arsenal molds. Synthetic 2 cycle oil and a sort of push - pull on the handles worked for me.(push lightly on one handle and pull on the other side)

Boolit Bub
    I don't think handles are the problem either. My Accurate mold blocks are the exact same size and work fine with the same handles I use for the Arsenal blocks. Only difference is the pins on the blocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast