RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ND Farmers Help After Another Famer Suffers Heart Attack

Vendor Sponsor

ND Farmers Help After Another Famer Suffers Heart Attack

WOW Would you look at all the BLM shirts in that crowd!! Unbelievable!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	North Dakota Farmers.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	268037

North Dakota farmers finish neighbor’s harvest after heart attack.

By Aleisa Tanner | September 15, 2020 at 12:28 PM CDT - Updated September 15 at 4:20 PM

DIVIDE COUNTY, N.D. (KFYR) - Around 60 farmers in Divide County put their own harvesting on hold to cut 1,000 acres for a neighbor who suffered a heart attack after his combine caught fire last week.

Lane Unhjem was in the middle of harvesting when he went into cardiac arrest near Crosby, North Dakota.

Neighbors, friends, and family brought 11 combines, six grain carts, and 15 semis to get Unhjem’s Durum Wheat and Canola in the bin. When they heard about Unhjem’s situation last week, they immediately started coordinating an effort to help him out.

“I talked to a couple of farmers, got their equipment, and then other people just started calling and we had equipment offered from all over the place in the county, and their workers to go with it,” said family friend, Jenna Binde.

Those who assisted say letting the Unhjems' crops go unharvested would’ve been a big loss for the family, and helping out was just common sense.

“Everybody knows the Unhjems, and they’re good people and good in the community, and just kind of the farming way of life too. You help your neighbor out when they need it and don’t expect anything in return," added Binde.

Lane Unhjem was flown to Minot where he is in stable condition, but his family says he has a long road of recovery ahead.

It took only seven hours for the farmers to harvest the Unhjems' 1,000 acres of crops over the weekend.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2020/...12XYiNfQIOfFQo
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    That is America.

Boolit Grand Master

Born and raised in ND. This is the norm when something like this happens. Same happened when my uncle was killed in a auto accident in 1970. That's what neighbors do in rural areas.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I grew up on Montana & Wyoming, this is just the way things are done up there, in the rural areas. The story does not surprise me. I remember one time clearing hay bales out of a fellows field, because he was unable to. His wife brought him home a couple days later and he was cussing mad because someone had stolen the hay out of the bar ditches. She let him fuss for a while then told him what had happened, he sure felt like a fool. Good times.

Done that many a time with my dad and brothers. If someone was in trouble through no fault of their own the community rally's around.

Take someones whole crop off in an afternoon, haul it straight to the Elevator. They can store or sell whatever they need.
    Small town America is still a pretty darn good place.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master

Its happened a few times around here too! Neighbors helping neighbors.

Boolit Buddy
    With the size of equipment these days, 15 machines on 1000 acres would have been less than a day. Took longer to get everything there than it took to finish it with that much big equipment. Still an awesome thing by neighbors, and it's not exclusive to North Dakota. I know, I was one. We do take care of each other.

Boolit Buddy
    That's the way farmers are in all areas of this great country.

Boolit Grand Master

When the neighbor had a devastating motor cycle accident his 80 acres of corn was harvested by neighbors I dont think any truck or wagons made 2 trips to the elevator. Field was done by noon. All they had to do was pick up the checks at the elevator.

In farm country that was the norm.

Boolit Master
    So God made a farmer .......

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 09-20-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    We drove from SD to ND last year (and back). When I realized I was low on gas in ND, we started looking for a gas station. No gas stations, not even a tree, just wide open country. Not panicking but concerned, I stopped and asked a farmer working his field where the nearest gas station was. He told me how far it was. I figured we had enough gas to make it. Then the farmer offered me some gas he had in a can. I said we could make it, and thanked him. Little things like that impress me.

Vendor Sponsor

Battis that's funny we went into ND at Fargo, I made SURE I topped off to the gas cap. Man you can go 40 miles between mailboxes and you ain't kiddin there ain't nothing there but open road and mudholes in the fields.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I'd look ahead at a landmark - a tower or whatever - and measure the distance from where I was. Five miles or more usually. And there was a really nice fragrance coming from the fields, sweet and strong. I'm not sure what it was - this was in June.
    The other problem is trying to find a mens/womans bathroom. Again, no trees - nothing but wide open.

Our first grandchild was born in ND - that's why we were there. I was talking to a nurse in the hospital about the size of the farms. I said that I was amazed that some of them were four or five thousand acres. She laughed and told me how big her family's farm was. I thought she was kidding but those farms are huge.
    Last edited by Battis; 09-20-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Boolit Master

What a heart warming story. It's so much better than the constant bickering and fighting we see so much these days. I have a good friend who is from N.D. He has moved here in southwest Missouri. But like they say.."you can take the boy out of the country but you can't take the country out of the boy". He goes back every year to help with the harvest. He is in N.D. right now "chopping corn". I'm not sure where he is but I know he really enjoys the work and the people he is with.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    We drove from SD to ND last year (and back). When I realized I was low on gas in ND, we started looking for a gas station. No gas stations, not even a tree, just wide open country. Not panicking but concerned, I stopped and asked a farmer working his field where the nearest gas station was. He told me how far it was. I figured we had enough gas to make it. Then the farmer offered me some gas he had in a can. I said we could make it, and thanked him. Little things like that impress me.
    You get to western ND and the topography changes greatly. I was hunting in the Killdeer Mountains when I ran over a throne branch and I have a fast leak in one tire and a slower leak in another. I quickly changed the fast leak with the spare. I made it to the closest farm when the other went flat. I have a Chev 1500. The farmer had lots of spares for his Ford 3500's but I needed a 5 hole rim not a 6 hole. The farmer daily truck was a Chev 1500 so he jacked that up and gave me the tire off of his truck. He had a spare but it was flat. I took the spare along with me and had my two tires and his spare fixed. He never asked my name.

I shot my first Antelope in Montana when I was 14. Problem was I had a ND tag. You get to the SW ND roads, farms and signs get scarce. While we were dress it out a Montana Game Warden drove up and admired my buck. He informed us the Montana season didn't open for a week and we were about two miles into Montana but that would not a problem since rhwe policy was 10 miles in before they figured you should be able to figure out that you were over the border.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-20-2020 at 11:35 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Prosperous people all across America STILL treat one another decently and with respect for what is right and just. It was just and the right thing to do. Prayers for Mr. Unhjem and his family - smooth road ahead in recovery. Praise for all of the unsung heroes. I feel better about America. Heart warming. A breath of fresh air...
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    "That is America."

^^^^THIS^^^

Real, honest, working folks who are what we know as true Americans. Looking at the comments after the OP,,, it proves that THESE kind of people should be the ones running the Country.

Boolit Master
    You are absolutely right.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I'd look ahead at a landmark - a tower or whatever - and measure the distance from where I was. Five miles or more usually. And there was a really nice fragrance coming from the fields, sweet and strong. I'm not sure what it was - this was in June.
    The other problem is trying to find a mens/womans bathroom. Again, no trees - nothing but wide open.

Our first grandchild was born in ND - that's why we were there. I was talking to a nurse in the hospital about the size of the farms. I said that I was amazed that some of them were four or five thousand acres. She laughed and told me how big her family's farm was. I thought she was kidding but those farms are huge.

Try that on a tractor!

That bathroom business? Use the tractor for a screen.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Wonderful story! Fortunately the same thing does happen in other areas. Good people are just that and when a friend is in need they respond. We had a house/garage fire in 2015 many friends came to see how they could help. I didn't keep track but they worked hundreds of hours helping us with the clean up that took several weeks. One parked his motor home in the driveway and stayed there until the house was secured. True compassion and friendship aren't something that is bought or sold it's a gift from the heart.

Contrary to what some think America is still the best place to live and those that don't think so should pack their bags and find a place that suits them better.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast