Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: 223 cast pc full house loads

Boolit Bub

223 cast pc full house loads

I got a friend into loading and now casting figured i would share his results. First off we are casting using a new arsenal mold no lube grooves and drops at 220 he is powder coating them comes out at 57 grains and sized to 224. First gun tried was a 7.5 inch ar using h335. He started around 19 grains working up to 24 grains, the short barrel wouldn't burn all the powder and caused a ftf wouldn't chamber cause of the unburned powder. I told him just out of curiosity try them in the 16 inch for function he started again with the loads above he ended up with a 1 inch group at 65 yards with 24 grains of powder. I wouldnt have thought the loads would work that good but now we are thinking about the 3006 and pushing them with full loads . He has checked the gun no leading or fouling at all. I figured I would share his results, hope this helps someone out.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200920-174502_Message+.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	268038

Boolit Bub
    Did you leave the tips exposed for expansion purposes? I'll be in the market for a 223 mold once deer season is over this year. I figure it will be a good winter project. How hard are the bullets?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by csatrustburg View Post
    I got a friend into loading and now casting figured i would share his results. First off we are casting using a new arsenal mold no lube grooves and drops at 220 he is powder coating them comes out at 57 grains and sized to 224. First gun tried was a 7.5 inch ar using h335. He started around 19 grains working up to 24 grains, the short barrel wouldn't burn all the powder and caused a ftf wouldn't chamber cause of the unburned powder. I told him just out of curiosity try them in the 16 inch for function he started again with the loads above he ended up with a 1 inch group at 65 yards with 24 grains of powder. I wouldnt have thought the loads would work that good but now we are thinking about the 3006 and pushing them with full loads . He has checked the gun no leading or fouling at all. I figured I would share his results, hope this helps someone out.
    how much twist in the barrels?

Boolit Bub
    1-7 bullets are ww water dropped the tips are left exposed cause he made a plate sits the bullets in there tip down just to powder coat

Boolit Master

how does the gas port look, thats where the leading kills. I have not tried cast in my ar's but several people are haveing good luck, just curious if the port stays clean with powdercoated boolits
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I have been running pc 22's in my fireball bench guns at 2600 to 2700 fps with very good results and 30-06 at near full house in my 03 with great results. Sized and lubed, no way in the fb,

Boolit Buddy
    would you consider posting this in the cast 223/5.56 compilation thread?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ilation-thread

I filled out the form for you below but I put ????? for the missing stuff

What does drop at 220 mean?

Report type: Empirical
    Barrel twist: 1 in 7
    Barrel length: 16
    Gas system length: ?????
    Powder type: H335
    Powder mass: 24gn
    Bullet mold: Arsenal (which one???)
    Bullet mass: 57
    fps: unknown
    Alloy: COWW water dropped
    BHN of alloy: ??????
    Powder coated: YES
    Lube: NO
    Gas checks: ?????????
    Barrel leading: none
    Gas system leading: none
    Action: good function??????
    Accuracy: 1inch group at 65 yards
    Notes: sized after PC to 224????
    Link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4988819

Boolit Bub
    would you consider posting this in the cast 223/5.56 compilation thread?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ilation-thread

I filled out the form for you below but I put ????? for the missing stuff

What does drop at 220 mean?

Report type: Empirical
    Barrel twist: 1 in 7
    Barrel length: 16
    Gas system length: standard system for the 16 inch gun
    Powder type: H335
    Powder mass: 24gn
    Bullet mold: Arsenal 225-61 Elvis but the bullets drop at .220 custom sized so we could get away with sizing them 2 times these now come out right at 56-57 grains after powder coated and sized to .224
    Bullet mass: 57
    fps: unknown
    Alloy: COWW water dropped
    BHN of alloy: not sure at this time but i will test them and update
    Powder coated: YES
    Lube: NO
    Gas checks: none flat base mold
    Barrel leading: none
    Gas system leading: none
    Action: good function- locks the bolt back after firing good ejection
    Accuracy: 1inch group at 65 yards
    Notes: sized after PC to .224

Boolit Buddy
    Pretty interesting he is not having any issues with the 1-7 twist at that speed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    Pretty interesting he is not having any issues with the 1-7 twist at that speed.

Yes, thats pushing it. There are a few other entries with 1:7 twist and ok performance but they are the rarer ones. Isnt 24gn of H335 pushing a normal load? Thats even more impressive.

I added it to the database thread btw

There are several entries in that thread that have not been put into the picture though yet, including this one.

Am I right that entry no 15 is the same mold? Seems to be a much heavier boolit though so I guess not.

Also did you have to use the NOE expander die?

Boolit Bub
    He is using a lyman expander die set for .224 the only reason his boolit is dropping light is because he asked for the boolit to drop at .220 so we didn't have to size it before coating it. He was trying this out of a 7.5 inch but couldn't get a constant powder burn lots of unburned powder causing ftf locking the gun up so them tried it out of a carbine just to see what kind of accuracy he would get. I am going by there with a 10.5 inch and another with a better scope on it to try the 100 yard mark. I will post back after seeing how it does there. I was loading hndy jwords at 24.5 and 25.3 is max load so yes thats near max load, i wish we had a chronograph, also he hasn't done anything yet for accuracy thats just starting out he had started lower charge weight but in the 7.5. After that never worked he tried the other rifle and got these results. Looks like it has great potential so much so we are looking at getting one for the 308 3006.
    Last edited by csatrustburg; 09-23-2020 at 05:28 AM.